'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Feisty pasture ornament - what to do?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-02-27 2:53 AM
23 replies, 9090 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-14 12:13 PM (#130257)
Subject: Feisty pasture ornament - what to do?

Veteran

I have a mare that is in her mid 20’s that I have had for 6 years.  She was a rescue case that I took in and vowed to make her last years healthy and happy.  She’s healthy and happy, but I am having second (and third/fourth etc.) thoughts about her.  She is a joy to watch and cute as a button.  She would have been an awesome cow pony – her roll backs and turns are a sight to see when she is out playing. Her naturally well- balanced trot is amazing – her head is vertical and breaks perfectly at the poll.  When you ask her to back, she backs up like she is on steroids!  She has never been ridden – she was a broodmare.

The problem is that I simply don’t trust her.  You just never know when she is going to strike out at you – and she is lightening fast!   As a result, I am on my guard with her 100% of the time.  Most of the time she is OK to work with.  She loves getting brushed and doing her ‘tricks’.  However, incidents like yesterday really make me question if I should continue.  I was asking her to swing her rump around  (basically turn on the forehand) which she has done many times before - and she did not respond to my ‘ask’.  So I pushed my finger into her (about the same pressure that you would use to ring a doorbell) and she swung toward me and tried to kick me.  My timing for punishment (I use the 1 – 2 second rule) is now finely honed after years of this.  I ‘asked’ again and she performed just fine.

She needs an experienced handler and I just don’t know if I am up to it anymore.  I’m not getting any younger.  She is a pure pasture ornament and nothing more.  Although she has not hurt me yet (knock on wood) it could happen.  I can’t ignore her – that would be cruel. She has to be handled on a regular basis - her feet need constant attention.  The vet sedates her when he works on her - and he always gives her a heavy dose because she can be pretty feisty.  My farrier is also a trainer, so he works through her issues.

That is a brief background of this little pistol.  The thought of putting her down makes me ill (7 years ago I put down my mare I had for 23 years – I STILL cry over that) and I would not send her to a retirement home - actually, they probably would not take her because of her temperament.  On the other hand, I can’t afford to get seriously injured. Any advice or similar experiences?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-02-15 11:25 AM (#130328 - in reply to #130257)
Subject: RE: Feisty pasture ornament - what to do?

Veteran

I think you know what you have to do.  You gave her a chance and have given her 6 good years.   IMO Leave the table while you still have money... or in this case your body in tact.   Last summer My friend put down a gourgeous athletic mare she rescued as a green broke 8 year old.   She tried for 8 years to "fix" that mare... thousands on dressage training (she is a dang good trainer herself) ultrasound showed she had cystic overies, she would just blow up for no reason other times she would be fine.  She could have sold her as a riding horse but had the class to have her put down, not haul her to an auction. Rescue or buy a nice weanling for $50.00 at an auction where you know they are going for meat and give it a chance by training it to be useful.  A pasture ornimant can also be useful. Get one with "sell potential"  We never know when we are going to die, but I do know that my family will easily find homes for my 13 year old mare and 4 year old gelding  because they are both trustworthy and all around trained to ride great trail horses. Good Luck
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-15 5:10 PM (#130355 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

It's past time for her to visit the Happy Hunting Grounds.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2011-02-15 8:14 PM (#130359 - in reply to #130257)

Elite Veteran

You never know when another more experienced person may be able to handle her perfectly well. check it out. put out an ad with a caveat... Good Luck.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-02-16 5:23 AM (#130365 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

I think after 6 years you have more than fulfilled your commitment to her. If she is in her mid 20's, her behavior is most likely not going to change. One thing that never should be tolerated is dangerous behavior. (Not that you tolerate it, but at one point someone did!)You stated she also gives the vet and farrier a hard time- people who handle all types of horses all day long. You gave her 6 great years that she probably would not have had otherwise. No horse is worth getting hurt or possibly killed over! All it takes is one hoof hitting the wrong area of your body!

Would you feel worse knowing she was humanely euthanized or knowing that you passed her on to someone else and she hurt them? Just food for thought!

Edited by cutter99 2011-02-16 5:25 AM
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-02-16 9:31 AM (#130374 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

I am suprised at the people that say put her down. Why can't you just pet her over the fence and let her be alone in the pasture. To me it seems odd that you do some things with her as if she was a riding horse but I am sure it is sporadic.

I would be carrying a buggy whip any time I was with her and if she turned her rear toward me I would smack her quickly. She is the alpha is the only issue I see.

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-02-16 2:43 PM (#130391 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

I agree.. It just sounds to me like you're done messing with her. I could be wrong. I've broke a couple horses that were a constant challenge. It takes a lot of time and energy to make them know who is boss, as you know.

I'd move her on to someone that enjoys project horses.

Personally, I wouldn't put her down.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-02-16 6:48 PM (#130397 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

Folks, you are talking about a mid-20 something UNBROKE mare who has serious manner issues! So when this horse- who she took in as a rescue and provided a home, feed, and care for the past 6 years- hurts her, what does she do then???
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-02-16 6:55 PM (#130398 - in reply to #130257)

Veteran

anybody heard of Carbon Footprint.  #1 who in their right mind would want a mid 20 year old mean streak mare with "no usefulness whatsoever" ok a nice farmer is going to make money off of selling feed I say use it on a weanling or yearling project horse that some day will be usefull...and I agree with the post that questioned why you were asking anything of her?? but I am guessing you like to work with horses, that is wonderfull so find something that is worthy of your time.  If you could find the one in tenhundredmillion person to take her in... if she hurt them how would you feel?  We put people down in this country.... and they aren't given any rehabilitation at all,,,prison is the worst institution they take state money and don't spend any of it on rehab just make it look like it on paper...don't get me started on that subject.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-02-16 6:55 PM (#130399 - in reply to #130257)

Pinkmouse: only you can decide what you can live with doing about the mare. I think people here are just trying to get you to give yourself permission to do what you need to do.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2011-02-17 8:40 AM (#130415 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

I understand the argument of "if she hurts her." My guess is that this has been a problem horse since the very first day. Now 6 years later there is a lot of time, money, love, care, etc tied up in the horse. If putting a horse down affects you like it does my wife, pinkmouse, your best bet for your sanity/conscious would be to move her on. We had to put her (38 year old) horse down in September and to this day its still difficult for her to look at his headstall and mane hair we kept. There are other good people out there that just want a pasture mate for another old horse, donkey, or the like, and don't care to get them out and work them much. They advertise on Craigslist all the time. It's atleast worth a shot at giving her away to a place you know you can visit her. It will sit better on your conscious, I think. Ultimately you're going to have to be the one to decide. Sometimes its about guarding your thoughts and emotions, too, in a situation like this - being you know you have to do something. It's easy to sit at ones computer and spew off suggestions when they aren't the one that has to live with it.

Originally written by gliderider on 2011-02-16 6:55 PM

anybody heard of Carbon Footprint.

Carbon footprint? really? That's going to be your stance on a forum with people that have multiple horses, cattle, other livestock and travel all over the country with big trailers and big [diesel] trucks? hm. interesting approach...

But I digress.

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-17 10:10 AM (#130419 - in reply to #130257)

Veteran

Thanks everyone for your input.   The thought of putting her down is difficult.  Especially since she is the first one to come running to the fence when I come home and she is quite vocal when she sees me approaching her when I am out doing chores.

calamityj – I wish it were that easy.  There aren’t even enough experienced horse people to take in the healthy horses with no issues.  Thousands of sane, healthy, young horses go to slaughter every year already. 

This horse has many other issues that I am well qualified and happy to deal with.  I would rate her temperament at around an 8.  She is blind in one eye.  While in the holding area before I got her, she nearly killed a goat (her ‘companion’) and broke a guy’s leg.  Both of these were because they approached her on her blind side without letting her know they were there.  I would not want her to be in a home with kids or dogs as she could easily hurt/kill them if they approach her incorrectly.  She should not be put out to pasture with other horses – for her safety and theirs.  She could kick them and injure them if she does not know they are approaching or they could be going after her on her blind side and hurt her because she would not know to get out of the way. Her blind side had quite a few chunks taken out of it when I got her.   She is at the very bottom of the pecking order and would not get enough to eat unless she was taken in for several hours a day to eat alone.  She needs expensive senior feed to maintain her weight.  She is a VERY slow eater.  I have the facility, the patience, the time, a little extra money and the desire to deal with all of these things.  Everything but her seemingly irrational striking and kicking (I'm sure she knows why).  She was the reject of the bunch when I got her – nobody wanted her then and nobody wants her now – I have tried.

laurie –It would be very irresponsible of me just to ‘pet her over the fence and let her be alone’.  She needs to be wormed, get checked by the vet, have her feet done daily (she has hoof issues), get her eye medication daily and overall general care.  This horse is the farthest thing from an alpha mare that I have ever seen. Carrying a whip around her would not work.  In addition to being severely starved (body score 1) she was severely beaten before I got her and just the sight of a whip sends her into cold sweats – and running away.

GRNMCHNEDAZE – I can relate to your wife – I have the mane/tail hair from my other mare as well and I still have not made the fly swisher out of it because it is just too difficult to look at.    I love messing with project horses.  When this mare is gone, I will get another one.  I have another horse (my daily ride) and I want him to have a companion.  You’re right, there are lots of people looking for companion animals, but they do not want to have to spend the time with her daily feet/eye care. Even the sanctuary that specializes in blind horses does not want a horse with a temperament of 8. And the last thing I would want would be for her final ride to be on a double decker headed to Mexico or Canada.

I’m such a softie. This mare had such a hard life and I wanted to make her last years really good ones.  You’re right rose – it’s my decision in the end.  I was hoping that someone had a suggestion or knew of a place that I wasn’t aware of.  When I put down my other mare, it was after a long and difficult surgery and she let me know it was time to let her go. (OK, I’m crying as I type this).    This little mare, on the other hand, is so full of life and energy – she bounces around the pasture like a 2 yr old.  She's not ready to go anywhere yet!

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-17 12:02 PM (#130424 - in reply to #130257)

Veteran

I posted a couple of pictures of her in my album if you would like to see what she looks like.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-02-17 12:40 PM (#130426 - in reply to #130257)

Pinkmouse:  Perhaps your vet would put her on medication for anxiety?  I had a Great Pyrenees (sp?) who had severe emotional issues and the vet put him on meds which helped him.  Just a thought.  My best wishes to you.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-02-17 3:35 PM (#130438 - in reply to #130257)

Pinkmouse: Have you tried giving her vitamin B1
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2011-02-17 6:36 PM (#130439 - in reply to #130419)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by pinkmouse on 2011-02-17 10:10 AM

laurie –It would be very irresponsible of me just to ‘pet her over the fence and let her be alone’.  She needs to be wormed, get checked by the vet, have her feet done daily (she has hoof issues), get her eye medication daily and overall general care.  This horse is the farthest thing from an alpha mare that I have ever seen. Carrying a whip around her would not work.  In addition to being severely starved (body score 1) she was severely beaten before I got her and just the sight of a whip sends her into cold sweats – and running away.

When I said pet her over the fence I didn't intend for it to sound like with hold vet and farrier care. I got the impression that the vet drugged her and did what needed to be done which does not have anything to do with you messing with her every day. I also thought you said that the farrier was experienced with her and didn't have too much of a problem. She may be far from an alpha mare with the pasture horses but it sounds like she is the alpha mare over you. If you were the alpha she in no way would strike or kick at you. As someone else suggested maybe something like quietex would take the edge off and she would be more managable.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2011-02-18 5:49 AM (#130449 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

It sounds like she reacts defensively from fear, most likely because of being blind on one side. That is something that would be very difficult to change at her age. If she has already hurt others, either human or animal, that may be why she was up for adoption in the first place.

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-18 8:02 AM (#130452 - in reply to #130257)

Veteran

I agree cutter99, I also think she reacts defensively from fear, but from being beaten, not from being blind.  I worked with a couple of other trainers: one who specialized in breaking ‘mature’ mustangs from the BLM and one who specialized in abused horses.  She exhibited the same behavior with them.  It is as if she is having flashbacks from the beatings.  She actually handles her limited vision quite well.  Interestingly, she was part of a huge animal hoarder seizure (50+ horses) and the woman who owned her fought like crazy not to give up her starving horses.  No one wanted to adopt her because, as was pointed out earlier, she was an aged, half blind, barely broke mare.  I had agreed to take her prior to her kicking the goat and the guy.

I have tried herbal and medical remedies.  She does get calmer, but she will still strike out sometimes when I am working with her.  No more and no less then when she is not drugged up.

Yes laurie, I am the ‘alpha’ mare, not her.  She does it with everyone.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-02-18 10:56 AM (#130463 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

So exactly what type advice are you asking for? I am afraid I have become confused between your first post about the mare, and your last couple of posts about her.
Since she is older, have you considered that she could have a pituitary tumor that causes the out of the blue aggression attacks? Might find a different vet and explore that possibility.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-02-18 11:43 AM (#130465 - in reply to #130257)

Veteran

CTRider - I am mainly looking for feedback on what people would do if they or someone they knew had a horse with behavior similar this one.  My additional posts were to clarify/respond to what others had written.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-02-18 1:35 PM (#130469 - in reply to #130257)

Expert

I had to think about this one for a while. It easy to just throw something out but it very different to actually have to carry it out.If I had a older mare that I could not handle or trust I probably wouldn't sell her. If the option was that or put her down, I'd put her down. This is assuming that just keeping her around as a pet was not an option. For me it wouldn't be. I have limited space and stalls plus I will not put up with a animal I cannot trust not to hurt me for whatever reason. Its not just the horses quality of life you need to consider, its your too and anyone else who might come in contact with this horse.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2011-02-20 1:05 AM (#130522 - in reply to #130257)

Farmbabe makes sense to me.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-02-22 2:41 PM (#130601 - in reply to #130257)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Farmbabe.  I have a 25 yr old mare who's been up and down the show circuit for years, but when I gave her away to a young 4H kid a few years ago, she began to exhibit some dangerous behavior...  mostly kicking out.  We discovered she was suffering from UVitis and starting to go blind.  I took her back and she is just fine at home - in her familiar surroundings with her pasture buddy.  If I found her exibiting the dangerous behavior again, I think I would have to opt for euthanasia.  If she is so nervous and uncomfortable that she needs to lash out for no good reason, and she becomes unpredictable in that behavior, then you risk your own well being and that of others ... you also risk a big liability suit.  Can you afford that?
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-02-27 2:53 AM (#130843 - in reply to #130257)

Expert

Give her away...if that fails put her down...don't feel guilty, you never got any real service from this horse...so you've paid your dues on it...medical bills for you from a double kick would run at least $10K if you do NOT have health insurance...plus you'd have some serious recovery time...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)