'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
outlaw trail ride thermopolis wy

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-06-06 12:05 PM
27 replies, 12081 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ingridbrey
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-01-23 8:47 PM (#129183)
Subject: outlaw trail ride thermopolis wy

I plan to go on the Outlaw Trail Ride this summer - 2011.  If you have done this ride, could you please let me know any important tips.  I especially want to know what to bring both for myself and my horse. I have a tent which is 6' tall will this be too high for the wind?  thank you ingrid
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-01-24 8:47 AM (#129200 - in reply to #129183)
Subject: RE: outlaw trail ride thermopolis wy

Regular

I rode the ride several years ago and it was well worth the trip. I know they've changed it since then. We broke camp every day but one through the week. Taking down and putting up your tent every day is work. I know they don't do that as often now which should be a good thing. The scenery is good, the food was great and the beer was cold. Cold alcohol was in the evenings so don't forget to have money for your pleasures. You should be alright with your tent. We did have one night when several tents blew down because of the wind, but that was it. We lucked out with the rain too. It rained just one or two evenings and not too much. Pm me if you want some more info.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-24 12:11 PM (#129214 - in reply to #129200)

Veteran

I checked out the web page it looks like a great ride but it didn't say ?Do they jump your rig for you or do you have to stay in a tent?
ingridbrey
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-01-24 7:33 PM (#129224 - in reply to #129183)

yes the current protocol is for us to ride to a camp; stay 2 nights and then move.  we have 3 camps for the entire trip.  yes the wind which blew down those tents on your trip is what concerns me with a 6 ft high  - essentailly a car camping tent.  no, no rigs, we go out and ride for 6 days.

what about chairs?  do they have them provided to sit by the campfire?  do you need a light to find the "facilities" at night?  any other things you wish you had brought?

Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-01-25 6:08 AM (#129230 - in reply to #129183)

Regular

Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-01-25 6:12 AM (#129231 - in reply to #129183)

Regular

There are plenty of porta potties and plastic tables and chairs are at your camp in the evenings.  The ground crew on this ride works their tails off.  They broke camp every morning moved it to the new location and had it set up when you arrived.  A flashlight will come in handy for moving around after dark.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2011-01-25 4:08 PM (#129264 - in reply to #129183)

Veteran

I so would love to do this ride...maybe in 2012
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-25 6:06 PM (#129267 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

I don't know anything about that particular ride, But I would suspect that if your tent is correctly pitched, It should be able to tolerate normal winds. This isn't a ride that takes place in winter blizzards. So unless you get hit with microburst or severe summer thunder storm. Your tent should be fine.

Look at the design of your tent, If you think it's suseptible to catching the wind and blowing over, Maybe you should consider a different design.

ingridbrey
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-01-25 8:34 PM (#129276 - in reply to #129267)

thank you so much for your helpful hints.
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2011-01-26 9:06 AM (#129286 - in reply to #129276)

Veteran

I have done this ride 3 times. My concern is the condition of your horse. The first time we did this ride, it was HOT, and the vet tech had horses lined up to be seen for literally hours after we got into camp. The weather was more cooperative the past 2 times. However, it is a ride that requires a horse who is well conditioned, and arriving a few days ahead of time to get your horse acclimatized would be a good idea. Each ride had it's share of wrecks. Basically horses who had no business being on the ride because of behavior issues, or poor riders, as in the case of a guy who wanted to wear spurs on his young horse(horses younger than 5 are NOT recommended for this ride. Some have brought younger horses, and end up walking their horses up some of the endless grades) to look cool, the horse spooked, he was not a good rider, gouged the horse and he got dumped to the tune of broken ribs and a punctured lung....can't fix stupid. Or the person who rode their horse to water bareback with a metal bucket with a brush inside, trotted the horse, bucket clanged, rider dumped, horse ran. I noticed this year they are only taking 25 riders. We have had close to a 100 in the past. I love my air mattress and battery operated air pump!

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-26 12:22 PM (#129292 - in reply to #129183)

Veteran

And you pay what was it $1,200 or more to do this?  I am glad you pointed out the fact it isn't for beginners.  I remember thinking before I went on my first ride in the  Mountains -- the ride was only 14 to 17 miles per day, to me that is a "stroll in the park"  but when it is 6-8 miles straight up.. a light bulb went off in my head thinking  am I glad this is only a 16 mile day :)   down is also a workout. If you have ever walked down steep hills for miles you know what I mean.. your horse has to use muscles that  can only get in shape by actually going up and down steep grades. I heard about the "dry" year from someone who was there.  I bet it will be a blast with 25 people tho. 
ingridbrey
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2011-01-26 8:21 PM (#129325 - in reply to #129286)

wow what a story of past rides.  yes i believe otr has now, for at least a couple of years, limited the # of riders to 25 - seems like from what you describe that is wise.  can you give me your thoughts on what level of conditioning you think wise?  as with you, I am from the midwest and don't have the altitude here in which to practice.  i welcome any ideas.  also if you can give me any items to bring which you found helpful that too would be great.  you must have liked the ride, notwithstanding all these stories, having done if 3x.  what did you like the most?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-26 10:55 PM (#129326 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

I used to put on an endurance ride here in Utah. We had folks from all across the nation show up to ride it. The first year, I laid out the trails so they were almost exactly 50 miles long.   The first day the riders went out and all complained about it being so long. The Vet came to me and asked, How long was that trail. I told him 50 miles, isn't that what endurance rides are supposed to be. He replied, Not in this terrain.  He told me to make the trail 40 miles long and tell everybody it was 50, because miles in the mountains that we were riding was just too tough.  The trail I had laid out had 16,000 foot of elevation change in the 50 miles.

The point being, It's not so much the altitude that you will be riding at, But rather how hard the horses have to work to climb and descend that much elevation.  I don't know how long the legs are at OTR, but a 20 -25 mile day isn't a problem for most horses that are mature and in good condition,  For an 8 hour day, that's only averaging 3 miles per hour. Which is just a dog walk.  If your horse has been standing in a 12x12 stall, Thats a lot of walking, But if he has a pasture to run around in and has been on 20 mile rides each saturday for the past few months. It's not a big deal. The real test of conditioning comes in doing 25 mile legs for 3-4 days in a row. Thats when the soreness and tenderness will manifast itself.

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2011-01-27 7:09 AM (#129329 - in reply to #129325)

Veteran

Because you do not know what the heat index will be (high on my first ride), and the terrain.....you swear once you get up this grade, you will be at the top...noooo...there's another one..I would suggest getting your horse in the best shape that you can. Limit the weight in your saddle bags. If you follow the packing list provided, you will be fine. On your horse you will have a canteen, all that you will need in the saddle bag is your lunch, kleenx, sunscreen and suntan lotion. Possibly some biodegradable TP. Depending on weather, you may want a slicker (not the plastic kind, but oilskin duster). If you do not wear a helmet, make sure you have a stampede string on your hat! Also, PROPER FITTING equipment. A 4 hour ride at home is not the same as having a horse saddled all day. Does the bit fit properly? What about the girth? saddle? Raw equipment sores can get you a ride with the camp crew and horse a trailer ride to the next camp. Don't forget about electrolytes, especially if it is hot. The vet techs usually carry some for those that forget. Arrive a few days early to let your horse recover from the trailer ride and get use to the water, etc. Rental horses are available, and the suppliers are reputable. The ride is shorter than in the early years. We use to ride all day everyday. Now they have a half day ride mid-week. As for any special things to take, follow the suggested packing list, and you should be fine. The nights can get cold, so a warm jacket for the campfire is a good idea, and warm sleeping bag. A solar shower is a nice treat. As for what drew me back for 3x....the people! Hard core horsemen & women are a part of this ride. I loved talking to them and learning new ideas and methods of horsemanship, as well as their wonderful stories. They had a historian dress in period clothes who did a great job of campfire storytelling about the rich history of the area where we rode.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-01-27 8:28 AM (#129335 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

Just a tidbit from years of hunting horseback, long days in the saddle before daylight, and coming back after dark, you would like the little led headlamps, they are very lightweight and free both hands for tacking up etc.  Wear it around your horses some so they don't see you as a cyclops with legs carrying a saddle...!
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-01-27 9:13 AM (#129342 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

Great Tip Flying.  Isn't it amazing how much "Night Riding" we do for hunting season.

That month in the fall I spend more time riding in the dark than the rest of the year combined.

I use the red led a lot to save the horses night vision. Gives me just enough light to see the branches coming at my face.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-01-27 9:57 AM (#129348 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

Agreed, on the red light.  Seems like a white light makes so many shadows it messes with their depth perception.  They seem to do a lot better with the red softer light.  The mule is really good at not getting  your knee against a tree, but she hasn't figured out how tall I am in the saddle to watch the almost but not quite high enough  branches!
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-01-27 10:05 AM (#129350 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

Another tip......(we haven't been on that ride, but go up saround Gillete to help a good friend move their cattle to summer range, ride long days for about a week, branding and then moving em)  have some tylenol or some such, and absolutely plenty of lip balm......the wind and sand will do a bit of work on your exposed skin (free dermal abrasion for a facial!) and your lips will feel it the most.  You will be a ways from any Walmart, so any little meds or whatever, make sure you have em with you, and use the childproof cap so maybe they won't work the lid open and get scrambled...(can you tell I have been there..)!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2011-01-27 10:06 AM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2011-01-27 5:04 PM (#129364 - in reply to #129183)

Veteran

Tail crouper. If your horse isn't used to using one bring hemeroid ointment for your horses tail it helps lubricate and also takes down inflamation and numbs the pain.  I have heard it works on girth gall also but never tried it there.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-04 9:15 AM (#129772 - in reply to #129364)

Extreme Veteran

If your horses are not accustomed to many miles of steep ups and downs, you'll most likely develop some galling areas. We've found a can of Bickmore's Gall Salve works the best. Carry it with you and apply before the red skin appears. When you see the hair thinning, apply it to the thinning area.

We've have never needed a crouper, but if your horse doesn't have reasonable whithers, you may need one. If so, get the horse accustomed to it before you ride the mountains. Most horses get sore from it's initial use. You do NOT want to need one and not be able to use it, because the horse is too sore around the tail. You will need a breast collar. Very few can ride the mountains without one. Here too, if you don't normally use one, get the horse accustomed before hand.

6 or 7 days in the saddle is a lot different than a 2 or 3 day weekend. Especially true, in the mountains. And don't forget, this is not a walk, walk, walk, ride. It is a move it on ride. Their advertising says, you must be able to ride for extended periods at the trot. Well, we don't trot any more, but we can gait(rack) as fast as any trotting horse.

Another helpful tip. If you ride this ride without getting wet, you'll be very lucky. Rains in the mountains, can be frequent and sometimes heavy. The last thing you want is wet feet or a wet saddle. Use a rain coat that covers you, your feet and your saddle. There is no time to dry out a wet saddle or wet boots. A wet saddle can be a very uncomfortable ride. They don't allow for a spare saddle, but I'd sure pack a spare pair of boots.

If you have never ridden for 6 days in a row, I'd highly recommend it before taking this ride. You may find sore spots you never knew you, or your horse, had. In the mountains, is no place to find them.

We spend 3 weeks in the mountains every year. We are not the walk, walk walk riders either, and enjoy the brisk riding, and we ride every day all day. We see a lot of folks that just plain have trouble riding for many days in a row. With this ride you don't have the option of riding a day or two and then laying off a day or so.

Sounds like a very enjoyable ride. Prepare ahead and enjoy.
Tim
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-02-04 9:51 AM (#129777 - in reply to #129183)

Regular

I do think a few folks are getting a little carried away in regards to how good of shape their horse need to be in. I rode this ride a few years back and I had a horse that was in very good shape. Come to find out, there were many folks whose horses weren't. One guy had a quarter horse that he had ridden once before the ride that year. He made it just fine. The ride is conducted at a snails pace. Yes, you're going to be sore. That's common sense. I saw many females riders who had not ridden that year. They made it just fine. I really wouldn't call this ride a ride in the mountains. If I remember correctly, there's only about a 3000 ft. change in elevation. I would call it riding the high desert rather than riding in the mountains.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-02-04 10:16 AM (#129781 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

Bob, I know at the Outlaw trail that they hold in Utah ( 5 days of 50 miles per day= 250 miles ) they call you an outlaw if you ride every day on the same horse.  If you change horses or take a day off. They call you a Pinkerton.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2011-02-04 12:27 PM (#129790 - in reply to #129781)

Extreme Veteran

Tim, you can ask Jon(Painted Horse) how we ride. He has ridden with us.

It's true, you might get by with riding an unconditioned horse, BUT, it only takes once to loose one trying this. Or worse yet, you can permanently injure one trying this.

Riding the same, out of condition horse, 6 day in a row, the distances this ride does, is not good horsemanship, it's stupidity.

It's true high desert riding is easier, but it's not a good practice to ride any, out of condition horse, these distances 6 days in a row.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-02-04 1:02 PM (#129792 - in reply to #129183)

Expert

I am just basing this on moving cattle in Wyoming for a week straight.........conditioning is a good thing...it works physically and mentally for horse and rider......not only does your horse improve muscle tone and fitness, and you..........you also, in the miles of conditioning, sort out any tack fit issues, issues of your own as far as suitable clothing etc, and you also get that animals skin in shape for the use he will be subjected to during the Thermopolis ride.........you don't have to ride him to death, but do work up to riding where at least one week you manage a 3 to 4 hour ride every day.  This will tell you what needs attention and what works.
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-02-06 9:22 AM (#129835 - in reply to #129183)

Regular

It's been a few years since I've been on it (& I was unable to take one of my horses - was living in MI then & WY was just a "stop" on a long trip), but I sure would not be taking one that was not in some good shape! They may have changed the route, but it's still some rough terrain in places I would think. And also to have my horse recently shod w/a good set of shoes (if Dan is still one of the "guides" & if he gets anyone up on the rock ledge he did that year, I'd have borium too! :), a very good fitting saddle, top quality pad - something that breathes & gives the horse the most support - besides your own comfort. They are long days, whether you go back to the same camp or move. The friend that went w/me was a veterinarian & was the ride's vet, so we decided to just pay a member of the "set up group" to set our tent up & take it down for us & make sure our bags & all got back in the tent for us each nite - wasn't expensive & oh so much easier especially the days/nites w/sick or injured horses. Solar showers are great unless you have weather like we did - it was cold & rainy pretty for about 1/2 of the week, so water didn't get get warm. (they may have changed all that by now - they had talked about hauling a trailer along that people could shower in). Just looked at the new website (the old one had alot of my pics on it) & see you spend 2 nites at Debbie Axtel's ranch - haven't talked w/her in a long time, but good to know she still has the ranch. Anyway, pack for a variety of weather - you just never know what will come up there. To the OP - it's not the same, but head down by Jackson to the Waterloo rec area - there are some good hills & more rugged trails than alot of MI & shouldn't be too far for you to haul. Spend some time conditioning there.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)