'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse feed--Nutrena vs. Purina vs. Kalmbach, etc.

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-12-05 3:09 PM
53 replies, 39877 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-11-12 12:28 PM (#138895 - in reply to #128980)
Subject: RE: Horse feed--Nutrena vs. Purina vs. Kalmbach, etc.

Regular

Hi.

I have never been on this particular section before; am a fairly regular reader of the truck and trailer stuff, though an infrequent poster. Today the 'Hickstead' post caught my eye, then I saw this thread about feed,clicked on it and because it goes to the 'last' page first, lo and behold, Marla's post about feeding rabbit pellets was the first up on that page! Ironic, because I have a 29 YO mare that eats mainlyTriple Crown Sr. and rabbit pellets...and is happy, healthy, and in very good flesh...and I 'thought' I was the 'only one' who fed rabbit pellets to horses! 

I have been quite satisfied w/ the TC Senior; here, it has recently been costing @ $21 at one feed store, shot up to @ $26 at another...only about 6 miles apart, out here in the boonies east of Albuq.!! You might guess who I am now buying from....

I heard about on a 'horse' forum, investigated, ended up being able to try, a forage-based feed made in TX called 'THRIVE', earlier this year. It's first ingredient is alfalfa,2nd listed, timothy...and goes on to include ingredients like grain sorghum, kelp, soy meal, rice bran(I*think*), plus a number of necessary minerals/vitamis, in a steam-extruded process that produces a light 'kibble-like' nugget, which smells and tastes VERY good(I tasted it myself; always do!).It can be fed free-choice if need be; is touted to be especially good for rehabbing rescue horses, takes up water readily, so can be quickly/easily prepared for horses that need soaked feed.  Recommended feeding level is 4-6 lbs./day for a 1,000 lb. horse, advertised as NOT needing to feed additional supplements or mix w/ other concentrates, just plenty of decent grazing or forage hay(I read that as 'grass'.) Comes in 40 lb. bags(the volume of the 'puffy' nuggets means you couldn't 'fit' the std. 50 lbs. into standard sized feed bags). Long story short...my daughter was visiting in TX when I learned about this feed; was able to pick me up a couple of bags before driving home, so I could try it (cost at a location near Ft. Worth was $18.50/bag).I REALLY like this feed(and believe me, I have a lot of 'horse feeding' experience....61 continuous years' worth..and I do my homework, and work to keep up with latest knowledge on the subject.)I REALLY like the 'forage-based' aspect, having lost a horse after years of battle w/ his serious ulcer issues, and trying to adapt ALL the management strategies that are increasingly advocated to help keep horses healthy under modern 'horsekeeping' conditions. Later this summer, that same daughter planned a trip to see an old HS friend in Abilene, the closest place this feed is available, and also, got me 12 more bags of 'Thrive'! Because I am feeding only miniature horses. I am only now down to a couple more bags...and just can't see adding the cost of a 8-900 mi. round trip to get more of it to the already-admitted relatively expensive feed, so will regretfully have to figure out something else, I suppose. For those of you in central/east Texas,where it is fairly available,  I'd definitely  recommend it! (I am in NO way connected w/ this feed or its creator in any way, FYI. For those who'd like to take a closer look, there is a website...just google 'Thrive horse feed".

Miniatures, BTW, are horses in every sense of the word...only requiring more careful feeding management, because there is 'less room for error', in my experience(and I took care of 'full sized' for many, MANY years before getting minis for the first time in '84.)  I can report that after about nearly 6 mos. on the Thrive, my little horses have the best feet, best quality of hair coats--rich color, soft and silky, and  SHINEY...that I can remember them ever having!They get generous qualtities of a good grass hay, and once a day, a small portion of straight alfalfa...and are in excellent flesh and largely w/o any 'hay belly'. I also feed a ground stabilized flax, and soaked beet pulp pellets(molasses-free, if possible to get)once daily...but have done this for a number of years prior to feeding the 'Thrive'...and while my horses all looked 'good' before 'Thrive', they unquestionably look even BETTER since beginning it. 

Margo aka olehossgal, in NM    

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
longearsruletwo
Reg. Feb 2011
Posted 2011-11-14 7:58 PM (#138922 - in reply to #128980)

Regular

Well, I found a dealer close that agreed to order some Triple Crown Complete for me.  He was interested in it but was afraid to get it and no one buy it.  Hope my mules like it!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-11-17 11:14 AM (#138975 - in reply to #128980)

Expert

this is a good forum information is good and It is right vegetable oil is better then corn so I have switched
cowgirldi34
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-12-05 3:09 PM (#139335 - in reply to #128980)

Regular

I have used Purina feed since they first came out with Omolene. It has done wonders for our horses. Equine Senior kept out older barrel/rope horse healthy and ready to run until the age of 26. (finally went to horse heaven @ 29 yrs old). I know the cost of feed has gone up, but I figure if we all would give up buying that latte or large soda at the convienence store, it would pay for the extra $$ increase of a bag of feed. My horses are totally worth it! Purina does send out 5 dollars off a bag coupons too...just ck out their website. Whatever feed works for you, use it....I'm just sayin that I prefer Purina.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)