'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stall skins,stall savers,stall mats,etc

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-27 10:42 PM
8 replies, 13915 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-11-24 9:52 PM (#127429)
Subject: Stall skins,stall savers,stall mats,etc

Expert

Does anyone have the Stall Skins installed in their barn? How about the similar Stall Savers? How are these compared to conventional solid mats? I've seen the solid mats in stalls and I've never liked them,I don't like the idea of having to be Samson or somebody like him to get them out in the event of releveling a stall floor or some other reason.I also like the idea of the permeable quality of the stall skins.But,I understand they have to be screwed down to wood molding to keep them in place,and,I had the idea that they were more mobile instead of fixed in the stall.Any ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
delta2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-11-25 11:00 PM (#127463 - in reply to #127429)
Subject: RE: Stall skins,stall savers,stall mats,etc

I have used the stall skins in the past and all I will say is they did not work for me. They can be secured on the sides without nailing to the side boards. For me, I had to keep twice as much bedding in the stalls as some of my mares would walk out bare spots and I had a few wear holes in them, There was always a wet spot and odor was a problem, the base was about 8" of limestone screenings on top of 12" compacted clay and would have high-low spots from where the horses stood or walked. I have 3/4" rubber interlocking mats 4' X 6'  now,  over the same base, they are heavy about 100lbs each but I have not had to remove them or relevel in the past 10 years, I have them in 13 stalls and only wish I had installed them first, they are great. The mats do not seperate or move, you have to hammer them together at the interlocking seams and the seam is almost invisable.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-11-26 8:22 AM (#127466 - in reply to #127463)

Expert

I was worried about the non permambility of the solid mats,urine pooling on them and not being able to drain down through the mat itself.We won't have quiet the stall floor prep that you do in your stalls,but,we will have compacted base then graduated rock compacted on top.We won't stall our horses very much,only in severe weather.But I was rather worried about the thickness and durability of the Stall Skins and having to bed pretty deep with shavings to "protect" them.Where did you get your interlocking mats? Are they heavy like trailer mats?
delta2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-11-26 8:36 PM (#127483 - in reply to #127429)

Yes the mats are very heavy duty, as I said about 100 lbs each 4 X 6, it takes 6 mats for a 12 x 12 stall. I believe they offer different sizes for smaller stalls. I picked them up from one of their warehouses, their website is www.flexmats.com Interlocking stall mat kit is what I used, I would not use smooth sided mats as they seperate. If you do not use bedding then yes as with any solid surface, urine will pool, but with bedding all the wet is removed when cleaning with no build up left as with porous mats. Good luck.

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-11-26 9:48 PM (#127486 - in reply to #127483)

Expert

Sent you a PM,delta.
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-11-27 7:42 AM (#127489 - in reply to #127486)

Regular

PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-11-27 8:04 AM (#127491 - in reply to #127429)

Regular

Please ignore my blank response above - chalk it up to operator error.

I put FlexGard grid mats in my stalls this summer.

They are 3' x 5' by 1/2" thick.  Very pliable and easy to carry, even for my small self.  Also easy to cut.

The downside to them is they were made to interlock on top of cement, not dirt or crush like I have in my stalls.

I easily resolved that my plastic tying them together.  A lot of work and a couple sore fingers but well worth the time because they stay in place and the holes in the mats allow the urine to go down into the several inches of crush below.

I still have to clean out the urine soaked shavings but at least I'm not digging clear to China to get everything.

I bought mine at Tractor Supply.

I bought the interlocking anti-fatigue mats, but there are other options.

http://www.qualityrubberresources.com/Category.aspx?cid=3

My horses come in at night and out in the daytime so I am hoping the half thickness will hold up over time.  If it does, the mats in four stalls will pay for themselves on shavings savings in two years.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-11-27 9:35 AM (#127496 - in reply to #127429)

Expert

I have had stall mats in my stalls for the past 15 yrs or so. I have never had to move them out but there was a few times I have to lift a corner ( they are spliced in a few places..not one solid mat) I simply dug out the sawdust that built up and laid it back down. Not hard but I don't use sawdust anymore. They don't move around or shift. I wouldn't have stalls without them. My horses are stalled most of the summer but hardly at all in the winter. In all this time other than occasional situation described above, I have not had any issue with them at all.
delta2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-11-27 10:42 PM (#127507 - in reply to #127486)

crowleysridgegirl, Did not get your PM.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World