'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Getting a LQ water tank ready?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-10 10:12 PM
3 replies, 2899 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-09 9:15 PM (#126878)
Subject: Getting a LQ water tank ready?

Veteran

I have a basic weekender package in my horse trailer. It was put in this time last year (2009) and I camped in it one time in November of last year and then never camped in it again. I used the trailer for day rides during the winter but never camped again just because we started building a house and got really busy. All last winter I kept a small electric heater in it with the storage tops off the seats so the water tank wouldn't freeze and to the best of my knowledge it did not freeze although I have not used it to find out. I am planning on camping in it this weekend for a trial run without horses at our local campground just to make sure everything still works before I go out of town with horses.

As far as the water part of the trailer goes, all I have is a 40 gallon water tank with a water pump that goes to a sink with cold water only. No shower or toilet. Is there anything I need to do to get it ready to carry water in the tank? The one time I camped in it last year, I did not use the water tank or pump so the only time it has been used was when I picked it up at the conversion company and they had put some water in it to show me how it worked. I never drained that water out of the tank/lines either. Do I need to clean the tank and lines with some chemical stuff or something in order to have safe water to cook/clean/water horses with? I have no idea if any mildew or other yucky stuff has grown in the tank or lines over the hot summer. Also, is there anything I need to do to the water pump before using it? Thanks for any help y'all can give me.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-11-09 10:32 PM (#126880 - in reply to #126878)
Subject: RE: Getting a LQ water tank ready?

Expert

If the water has never been changed, it probably is rancid. Drain any remaining water and refil. Add about a cup of bleach, and pump it through the faucets. Let it sit a few hours and drain. Refil and flush the faucets with fresh water again.

If you have no plans for additional usage within a week or two, drain the water. If it will be stored over the winter, purge the system with anti freeze. It's much less expensive than running an electric heater for a substantial amount of time.

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-10 7:50 PM (#126923 - in reply to #126880)

Veteran

Thanks, Gard. Do I need to do anything to the water pump before turning it on since it's been so long without being used?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-11-10 10:12 PM (#126926 - in reply to #126878)

Expert

If you turn it on, it should spin right up with no problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World