'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Check Ligament?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-21 8:20 PM
11 replies, 7324 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-08 9:02 AM (#126797)
Subject: Check Ligament?

Awhile ago, my 10 year old Hanoverian became ever so slightly off in his left front. Naturally we put him on stall rest for a week or 2 to see if it would get better. Hes ridden almost daily, but no more than an hour of work. The rest is all trail riding. Anyways, after a few weeks and no improvement I called my vet to get an xray or at least to block him. He did not have a clean block in the whole left leg, from hoof to shoulder. From that point we took him to a university to get a bone scan and hopefully a diagnosis. The results came back with him having osteoarthritis in his left fetlock. We gave him an HCla shot and put him o Adequan, and waited a few more weeks. No better. He was still only kind of off, and only at the trot. Its now been about 4 months and we took him back to the university for another diganosis. They now tell us he has a check ligament injury. I was wondering what exactly that meant and how long he will be off for.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-11-08 12:33 PM (#126807 - in reply to #126797)
Subject: RE: Check Ligament?

Veteran

An easy way to check for check ligament issue's is to lightly tap behind the knee when the horse is standing on it to see if it gives. If it does, its pretty sure it is a check ligament. Very common in the standardbred world. We always painted it with Northfield curb and splint and let them rest (turn out) for a week or 2 depending on how bad it was. Then started them back to training slowly.

skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-10 4:54 PM (#126920 - in reply to #126797)

The problem is that the entire time hes been off, he hasnt had any swelling or heat. Hes not sensitive to the touch either. And thats up and down his whole leg. So im wondering if it is a check ligament problem after all. Hes still only kind of off, no improvement or worsening. This is after about 5 months now of limited drugged turnout by himself for maybe 2 hours and only walking in the ring for 20 min. His personality is the same as always and has no other problems besides his slight limp. So my question is what else could it be? Hes been ultrasounded, blocked, xrayed, and had a bone scan done and all the tests are the same- inconclusive.
Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-11-14 7:30 PM (#127065 - in reply to #126797)

Veteran

Another way to check for this is to hold the leg up like you are going to pick the hoof, then slide your thumb up the tendon sheath to the back of the knee and squeeze. If he is sore or reacts, then you should blister/paint it and let it heal. What is he doing that makes you say he is slightly off? Does he have a head knod? short stride? toe walk? Also, have you had him tested for EPM? One of the symptoms is to have odd lamenesses that can't ever really be explained.
skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-15 7:40 PM (#127120 - in reply to #126797)

He only has a slight head nod, and at the trot only. He still shows no sign of weakness or pain in the entire leg, and my vet has been out multiple times to recheck and see if he's gotten worse or any better. He hasnt shown any other signs of EPM, thankfully, but i'll mention to my vet just in case.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-16 4:29 PM (#127173 - in reply to #126797)

Extreme Veteran

"osteoarthritis in his left fetlock"

Did they not tell you this is not curable and only gets worse.

Sounds like it's reality check time. Why even worry about a ligament?
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-11-16 6:04 PM (#127189 - in reply to #126797)

Elite Veteran

Take him to a reputable teaching veterinary hospital and have him further evaluated. A Hanoverian is not just some ole horse that was picked up for $50. Has he been ultrasounded? I have a cutting horse who has a deep flexor tendon injury and has been on modified activity and stall with confined turnout. He is doing very well, but I am giving him another couple of months to be certain he is sound.
skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-16 8:27 PM (#127195 - in reply to #126797)

I know osteoarthritis is incurable but thats why I had him on Adequan once a month and glucosamine supplements daily. He also got the HCla shot when he first got taken to the university. Another option was the IRAP procedure but since he got diagnosed with the ligament injury they chose not to do it. and he just recently had the ultrasound that confirmed the check ligament injury. Nothing has changed since since the initial diagnosis of osteoarthritis. I'm up at the barn everyday to see of there are any changes and there arent any at all.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-17 1:42 PM (#127217 - in reply to #126797)

Extreme Veteran

Be a good idea to have a second opinion on the osteoarthritis.

If it is confirmed, then it is truly, reality check time. Normally, osteoarthritis in horses progresses much faster than in humans. You could spend a lot of money and still not get a sound horse.

AND, AND, osteoarthritis in the fetlock will make him very trip prone and more likely to fall. Now your talking human injury. Is it worth the effort and expense even in a horse like this? No horse, in my humble opinion, is worth a known risk of this type. The medication does not exist that is going to make him completely pain free and sound to ride. It only takes one burst of pain and he could be down on the ground in a heart beat, hopefully, not with you under him.
skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-18 8:48 PM (#127274 - in reply to #126797)

Before all this happened he never had any problems with lameness or stiffness. This just came on so suddenly; is that what osteoarthritis does? and hes only 10, isn't that a little young to be getting osteoarthritis? From what ive read, its the last stage and usually affects older horses, like 15+. I can understand normal arthritis, but ever since i got him when he was 4 hes been getting Cortisone and Glucosamine supplements. His half brother became lame around the same as my horse and he had to be nerved in that leg. Could it be hereditary?
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-19 1:03 AM (#127282 - in reply to #127274)

Extreme Veteran

I remember reading some where that Cortisone usage over a long period of time was very detrimental. Nothing wrong with the Glucosamine supplement, but why the cortisone? You may very well have an inherited problem and/or a drug related problem. I'd suggest discontinuing the cortisone for a month or so, then get a second opinion.
skb21
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-21 8:20 PM (#127339 - in reply to #126797)

The cortisone was only for the front left fetlock, which the person who we bought him from told us she'd been doing, and my vet said it was ok to continue. As of right now his Smartpack has glucosamine supplements and Recovery, which is what my vet said to put him on for increased healing. My horse just got a treatment similar to the IRAP, where they take blood from that area or ligament and inject stuff into it for healing and to stabilize the injury. Then they inject back into the area and its supposed to help the check ligament injury, but the osteoarthritis is what's mainly on my mind. I normally do hunters and equitation, and regularly jump 3ft to 3ft 6. I know after all this he won't be able to jump that high, or even do heavy workouts, but I'm wondering how high he will be able to jump, if at all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)