'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What does "tighing up" mean???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-07 7:54 PM
16 replies, 6211 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AQHA123
Reg. Nov 2010
Posted 2010-11-03 10:40 AM (#126614)
Subject: What does "tighing up" mean???

I always thought "tighing up" meant the horse had a belly ache, he was glogged.  But I was watching RFDTV last night and they were saying "tighing UP' is when the horse is sore.  Which is it???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-11-03 12:12 PM (#126621 - in reply to #126614)
Subject: RE: What does "tighing up" mean???

Extreme Veteran

http://www.thehorse.com/pdf/factsheets/tying-up/tying-up.pdf
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-03 5:55 PM (#126632 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

I watched the same show and it said when the muscles excrete alot of sweat and are sore that can cause tying up. Sometimes colic can happen at the same time which would be the belly ache.

But I always thought when they tied up it's almost like cramping and they can't continue on and lay down. 

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-11-04 10:38 AM (#126656 - in reply to #126614)

Veteran

So it sounds like its sore or over worked muscles that can also lead to the abdominal pains. Interesting.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-11-04 2:20 PM (#126662 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

Tying up is also known as azoturia or Equine Rhabdomyelosis. The common name it is known by is Monday Morning Diease. It's been called that because there are a large number of horses that develope it after a hard weekend of work and end up tying up on a Monday when they get no work. I see it in a lot of Amish horses who get driven hard over a weekend and then don't do much during the week. It can also be a symptom of greater problems with a horse. Horses usually have a hard time moving because their muscles become tight and difficult to move without extreme amounts of pain. I would always recommend calling a vet if a horse experiences it. It can be avoided by regular conditioning horses for what they are used for- i.e.- loping a cutting horse 5-6 days a week for 2 months ahead of a scheduled show. Another symtom to watch for with it is bloody urine as it can also effect the horse's kidneys.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-11-04 7:51 PM (#126673 - in reply to #126662)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by cutter99 on 2010-11-04 2:20 PM

Tying up is also known as azoturia or Equine Rhabdomyelosis. The common name it is known by is Monday Morning Diease. It's been called that because there are a large number of horses that develope it after a hard weekend of work and end up tying up on a Monday when they get no work. I see it in a lot of Amish horses who get driven hard over a weekend and then don't do much during the week. It can also be a symptom of greater problems with a horse. Horses usually have a hard time moving because their muscles become tight and difficult to move without extreme amounts of pain. I would always recommend calling a vet if a horse experiences it. It can be avoided by regular conditioning horses for what they are used for- i.e.- loping a cutting horse 5-6 days a week for 2 months ahead of a scheduled show. Another symtom to watch for with it is bloody urine as it can also effect the horse's kidneys.

On the RFD TV special they were noticing it with horses that were in good condition, taht were worked regularly and if they gave them a day off and then they had the problem when they went back to work. Also more common in mares.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-11-05 8:44 AM (#126685 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

Research is now showing it can be related to too much starch and carbohydrate in a horse's diet. For a long time we thought that horses in hard work need > 20% starch and carbohydrate in their diet- most performance feeds are > 30%- thinking that horses used those in hard work. Current research is now showing that < 20% is fine for most horses. The easy keeping horses (I have foundation and cow bred QHs that fit this to a T) are much better off at less than 20%. You also have to take forage and pasture into consideration when thinking about those numbers.

I had a horse tie up about 7 years about and it was a symtom of the onset of Cushing's diease. It was very sudden and he was in fairly good condition but he was about 13 years old- typically when you start to see Cushings in the stock-type breds. I have a friend with a young (7 year old) Haflinger mare who tied up recently and the vet thought it was possibly the first sign that she was coming down with Potomac Horse Fever. The common denominator in both cases was that there was extreme humidity at both times. Neither horse was being worked extremely hard- just out for a trail ride around the farm- but were sweating profusely due to the humidity. I tend to use electrolytes more readily now, but we've also had more humidity the last few summers.   

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-11-05 1:45 PM (#126695 - in reply to #126614)

Regular

The term, "Monday morning sickness", arose from the fact that 'back in the day', when most WORK was done using horses, the hard-working horses usually got Sunday off, but still received the same 'full' feed they got all the rest of the time, esp. the grain portion, which most likely consisted of oats or corn. Come Monday morning-time to go back to work, horses were likely to develop 'tying up' (azoturia) once they were started back into work.

When a horse is  QUITE REGULARLY doing serious work, esp. when being FED a generous amount of concentrated feed(grain, or nowadays, extruded pellet formulations of various sorts, along w/ supplements,etc.)and/or very 'rich' hay(such as high quality alfalfa), because of a belief that the horse NEEDS all that due to the amount of work it is doing, it is a VERY GOOD idea, whenever the horse has even ONE 'day off' from the work, to drastically REDUCE the amount of such concentrates and/or 'rich' alfalfa/legume hay, at LEAST for THAT day.

Azoturia can be very dangerous to a horse. If a horse shows symptoms(coffee-colored urine, a reluctance to move, and what appears to be 'rigidity' of musculature), it should immediately be allowed to STOP moving, kept comfortable and warm until veterinary help is found.Do NOT 'make' the horse continue to work, or even to 'keep moving' thinking that they will 'work it out'...it doesn't work that way!

I don't go quite all the way back to the time that horses did most of the work, but I HAVE spent the last 60+ years learning all I could(and still am)about horses of all kinds, in all aspects.

Margo AKA olehossgal

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-05 1:48 PM (#126696 - in reply to #126614)

Elite Veteran

My 4 year old foundation bred ( she is my profile picture when she was a weanling) mare tied up over 4th of July weekend. I've read about it but never personally experienced it. Yes, it was humid and hot. We rode at a walk for about 5 miles and decided to go back to camp and ride at night. She was in good condition but not in peak condition. I noticed she was sweating on her abdomen and shoulder areas and she wasn't drying up like the others. She acted more laggy but so did the others. I watched her and she eventually dried up. That night we rode for about an hour and I decided to shine my night goggle on her to check her out. She was sweating 2 times worse than the others but was moving "normal." I went back to camp (the track was right by our camp where we stopped.) I untacked her and felt her hind quarters and shoulders. She was sore! I watched her urinate and it was a darker color. I new she was tying up. I gave her some banamine which gave her noticable relief. She drank plenty of water and her urine got lighter in color. I stayed up until 4:30 am. watching her. It was an isolated case. She was broke out at 3 years old and has been steadily ridden. After this episode I've been riding her and she doesn't show any signs of it at all. She's Hyyp n/n and she doesn't have pssm. She did body out alot this year. Growing pains combined with the heat maybe the cause.....

Edited by Gone 2010-11-05 1:52 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-05 1:54 PM (#126697 - in reply to #126614)

Elite Veteran

It is my understanding that the dark urine is mucle cell damage. Depending on the severity and frequency of tying up will determine cell recovery.

Edited by Gone 2010-11-05 1:55 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-05 1:58 PM (#126698 - in reply to #126614)

Elite Veteran

Forgot to add....She was on a 12% sweet feed and I switched her to Triple Crown Low Starch. She has always been fed Timothy/grass hay with just a pinch of alfalfa in it and access to a mineral block with plenty of room to roam in her pasture.

Edited by Gone 2010-11-05 2:00 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-11-05 2:07 PM (#126700 - in reply to #126614)

Elite Veteran

One last thing I did was take her off the picket and walk her out the next day for about a 30 minutes.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-11-05 2:22 PM (#126703 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

I've used a massage therapist too after one of ours had tied up and it seemed to help ease him back into work.

I've used a few of the Triple Crown products with horses with various issues. I don't think there is a better product than Triple Crown Senior!

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-11-05 6:40 PM (#126709 - in reply to #126614)

Veteran

I'm glad I asked the question, this thread has been very informative to me. About a decade ago I had a horse that I was riding heavy tigh up on a day off. I didn't realize it at the time but looking back it that must be exactly what it was. My poor wife was a nervous wreck waiting with that sweating horse while I raced to the vet to get something (I don't remember what it was after this long) to inject into him to relax him and sooth the pain. When I got back from the vet the poor horse was laying down in the manure pile sweating and in so much pain. Whatever it was I injected sure helped, he was back to normal in no time.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-11-05 7:16 PM (#126712 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

Banamine usually helps and vets will sometimes prescribe this with ace and bute. I carry banamine and ace in my trailer first aid kit. I don't give drugs without talking to my vet first, and I've been really blessed to have vets who respond immediately to phone calls. It is difficult to watch a horse go through because it is painful. Every once in a while I pinch a nerve in my back and get muscle spasims, which is hellish painful, and I always imagine tying up is worse in a horse because more muscles are involved.

High fat diets are also recommended to help. There are more and more feeds on the market that are higher than 6% fat and seem to help horses prone to tying up.

The great thing about this forum is there is always something to learn!!!

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-11-07 5:04 AM (#126731 - in reply to #126614)

Extreme Veteran

I've seen a couple of very fit endurance horses tie up after long trailer rides.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-11-07 7:54 PM (#126763 - in reply to #126656)

Extreme Veteran

The last thing you do with a horse that is tying up, or about to tie up, is walk them.

Many folks mistake tie up for colic and vise versa. You can walk a horse that's colicing. But never walk one that is tying up. That'll make it much worse.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)