'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Separating Horses

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-01 10:14 AM
5 replies, 4750 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2010-09-29 8:39 PM (#125327)
Subject: Separating Horses

Need some ideas on how to make separating horses that are pastured together easier and I guess I am also looking for some reassurance too....Here's my problem and what I plan to do....Am going riding with a friend on Saturday and my two horses haven't been separated very much in the last couple of years and the one gets very attached to any horse she is pasture with or stalled next too....I plan to take the paint mare and leave the herd bound one at home but am half afraid of what she will do while I am gone....Don't really want to keep her locked up in the run-in shed all day (don't have any stalls only a run-in shed that I can close off to make into a big box stall)...This was my first plan....But today have come up with a second plan and that is to separate them tomorrow and put the paint mare in another pasture, that was used for calves, and leave her in there and then put them back together on Saturday when we get back....This way I am around to see if the herd bound one will do anything stupid and I can be there to catch her if she would get out....Does this sound like a pretty reasonable plan to anyone and am I on the right track to do this if I wanna go riding on Saturday???? Am open to all ideas and thoughts....
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-09-29 9:39 PM (#125331 - in reply to #125327)
Subject: RE: Separating Horses

Expert

Once you load up and are out of sight the second horse will make a few laps of the enclosure and them calm down until she hears a horse whinny or a familar sound of your truck engine coming down the drive. Then they run around some more to make you think they were excited the whole time you were gone.

Puts some hay and go have a good trail ride.

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-09-30 12:18 AM (#125338 - in reply to #125327)

Veteran

The first time I rode the horse down the road after he and the mule had bonded the mule tried to jump over the gate. He landed on it. Wasn't hurt but he ripped it off it's hinges. When the horse and I returned the mule, dripping wet with sweat, came running down the road to greet us.

Make sure your fences are high and tight and safe. Is their a neighbor who can keep an eye on the horse you leave at home?
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-09-30 6:49 AM (#125340 - in reply to #125327)

Elite Veteran

I'd probably start getting them used to being seperated in different pastures. Although, I have just rode off before and left a pasture buddy alone and everything was fine. I second the gates and fencing.....You know your horse. What does your gut tell you?
ILtrailrider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2010-09-30 10:56 PM (#125354 - in reply to #125340)

Okay, here's an update as to what I did for the problem I had....I put the horse I am gonna be riding on Saturday in another pasture...They can still see each other but after a whole, and I mean a whole lot, of whinnying they seem to calm down a bit but were still kind of walking the fence line once in awhile and the herd bound one would go stand by the walk-thru gate and look across the farm towards the other pasture and let out a whinny once in awhile....Best of all she didn't try to jump over the fence, thank God.... They both did alot of running and got pretty sweaty, so I am glad it was a warm day today...Just hope it got more quiet after the sun went down so my Mom could get some sleep tonight....
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-10-01 10:14 AM (#125364 - in reply to #125354)

Veteran

From your report I suspect the horse that remains at home will do fine. It doesn't sound like either one hit the panic button despite the separation anxiety and the noise.

Have fun on your ride.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)