'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss Windows

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-19 11:19 PM
14 replies, 14676 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-12 7:26 PM (#124793)
Subject: Exiss Windows

Veteran

One of my drop down windows is falling apart, and the second one is not far behind it.  The innerds have rotted away on it.  I'm not sure, but I think FRP was originally used inside.  I need to fix it, but not sure what I need to do as the exterior parts of the window are fine.  This is an 2002 Event that I purchased used in 2004.  Has anyone dealt with this problem before?  Can I just buy pre-cut insides and replace?  That would be the easiest.

Also, I read the other thread about Exiss leaking.  This trailer didn't leak until 3 years ago.  I coated the seam on the roof last year, but skipped the tedious part of removing old, dried out caulk.  My bad, and a lesson learned.  Leaks still existed and more appeared.  Just spent today removing all the old caulk, replacing with new, and then applying a sealant.

I love my Exiss trailer and don't mind that I have to caulk the roof.  Maintenance happens!  I do wish the drop downs were built with better materials.  Oh well - still love my trailer. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-12 7:57 PM (#124798 - in reply to #124793)
Subject: RE: Exiss Windows

Expert

Some while ago we had a new poster complain loudly about her junk Exiss, and any people who represented that product. The drop windows had rotted, and everyone remotely connected with Exiss was the scourage of the earth. Many respondents advised her to contact Universal, but she rather enjoyed the controversy and continued to complain.

After a while she did call, and was given a new set of windows free of charge for a used, seven year old trailer. Suddenly all things and people of Exiss were part of rainbows, golden brick roads and life was good again.

Call Universal. You may not get free windows, but it is aware of problems with the out sourced windows for a couple of years. You might mention these postings and the world wide notariety they reach, and the help they have furnished to others with the same problems. At the very least, Universal is a source of new parts for your trailer. BOL

Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-13 7:24 PM (#124837 - in reply to #124793)

Veteran

Gard,

I called Universal/Exiss this morning and talked to a rep about my windows.  To keep this post short, I'll just touch on the highlights.

They are aware of several model years that have had rotten windows.  Those windows were manufactured by a former supplier.  Universal/Exiss does not have new/better material to be used to repair my windows.  The only, and best, option for me would be new windows.  The new windows have no interior material and would require a special clamp for mounting on my trailer (retro fit, I guess).  The windows, plus clamps, = approx $570/each.  They would ship to nearest Exiss dealer and I would then have to pay the dealer installation fees.  I did mention the forum and inquired about warranty, but that didn't fly - my trailer is past the age of warranty of the windows.  Maybe I should have been an angry witch with them and they would have given me windows for free!!

Anyway, I can't afford to replace both windows.  I have a mechanically-inclined neighbor that has taken a look and said he's pretty sure he can fix them.  He can't see pitching windows that are fine except for the fact that 1/14" of inner material is missing.  Knowing him, I'm sure he'll come up with something that will work out just fine.

Thanks for your advice and I'll let you know how my windows turn out.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-13 9:48 PM (#124844 - in reply to #124793)

Expert

My Exiss windows are different than yours, so I can't relate an exact repair. If the inner panel can be separated from the outer, repairs should be pretty easy. In the first posting, the complaint was that there was a rotted wooden core, that would no longer hold and support the hinges' screws. If the inner and outer frame pieces can be seperated, replacing the hardwood core should be quite easy.

If the frame halves can't be detached without damaging them, there is a way to inject epoxy resin into the rotted wood core with no frame disassembly. The resulting areas can then be drilled and taped to acccept new screws. It will take an individual that isn't afraid to take chances, and who can follow directions. Having a knowledge and experience with mixing epoxies will be most beneficial. If you need this information, PM me for a more detailed explaination.

griffsmom
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-09-16 11:21 AM (#124932 - in reply to #124793)

I have a 2001 Exiss and one of my door (midtack) is bad. It is like its rotting on the inside and little pieces of wood are falling out onto the running board sometimes. Is there a way to also take the door apart and possibly replace the insides too. Is this a common issue along with the drop down windows? Thanks
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-09-16 11:30 AM (#124933 - in reply to #124793)

Expert

Our 2001 had to have a vent installed on the rear tack door for the generator..........there was no wood at all in the door, just metal and foamboard insulation.  We have not had any issues with our door or windows.........
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-09-16 3:56 PM (#124943 - in reply to #124793)

Extreme Veteran

KESTA, what years did they admit to having problems?  We are looking at buying a 2000 Exiss and don't want to get it home only to have it develop window problems.  Also, are you having problems with the windows in the living quarters too?

Thanks very much!

Edited by JacciB 2010-09-16 3:57 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-16 10:18 PM (#124956 - in reply to #124943)

Expert

I have an 01 Exiss, a friend an 02. Neither one has any problems with doors or windows. It sounds like Exiss started purchasing from this outside source in late 02 or 03 and only lasting a short while. Sometimes it's difficult to know when trailers were made, which can vary considerably from when they were sold.

Perhaps an Exiss dealer with more particular knowledge, could chime in with an appropriate answer.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-09-16 11:20 PM (#124958 - in reply to #124793)

Elite Veteran

I had an '03 Exiss Sport model Gooseneck. I bought this trailer new. The screws started falling out of the windows the second year I owned this trailer. If I had not noticed this, I would have lost windows going down the high-way at some point. I replaced all the screws in all the windows with Stainless-steel screws. I did sell the trailer after three years.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-18 11:34 AM (#124987 - in reply to #124943)

Veteran

I don't have a LQ, just a weekender pkg with 3 bus windows.  No problems there.  Also no problems with the doors, just the drop-downs.  The Universal/Exiss rep didn't mention any years specifically that those windows were installed, but I'm thinking Gard is right as my 3-horse Event is titled as an '02.

I can tell you that my windows started getting a stain down low by the trim several years ago.  If you pushed on the panel, nasty brown liquid would bubble out.  Also, if I dropped the window down, nasty, black water would run out on the side of my trailer.  I just thought it was water trapped in the bottom of the window -- which it was -- rotting the wood away.  I suggest when looking for trailers, look for a black stain on the lower part of the windows and press on the bottom to see what, if anything, bubbles out.

I'm going to see my neighbor today.  He's taken one window down and says he got it apart no problem.  I'll update later as to what was found and what he plans on doing to repair. 

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-18 3:55 PM (#124992 - in reply to #124987)

Expert

Originally written by Kesta on 2010-09-18 12:34 PM.

I'm going to see my neighbor today.  He's taken one window down and says he got it apart no problem.  I'll update later as to what was found and what he plans on doing to repair. 

Have your neighbour look into marine epoxies made by WEST, System Three, or MAS etc. He can completely encapsulate and bond new hardwood within the present frames, making the structures stronger than they were originally. They will also be impervious to water, weather and any rotting issues. The epoxies will bond metal to metal and wood to metal.

Edited by gard 2010-09-18 3:57 PM
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-18 10:47 PM (#125000 - in reply to #124793)

Veteran

Okay, I don't know quite how to explain how he's doing it, but basically, my neighbor is using flat aluminum bars in place of  the rotted wood.  Tapping it for screw holes to match the hinges and using stainless steel screws.  Leaving the wood at the top by the handle/lock as that is okay and will probably remain so.  Wish I would have taken some pictures so I could post.  Anyway, one window practically done and will probably be reattached tomorrow.  Will update then.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-19 6:52 PM (#125013 - in reply to #124793)

Veteran

Update:  Window is finished and remounted.  Looks great and feels solid.  Material cost to repair is less than $20.  Sure beats $570 for a new window!  Second drop down is not in dire straights at this time, but will be worked on in the near future.  Needless to say I'm extremely happy!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-19 9:02 PM (#125018 - in reply to #124793)

Expert

It sounds as if your neighbour is an excellent mechanic and fabricator. I bet if you spread the word, he could enjoy a second income repairing trailer parts.
Kesta
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-09-19 11:19 PM (#125025 - in reply to #124793)

Veteran

Funny you should mention that.  He was talking about doing so just today.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)