'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How often to acid wash aluminum trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-28 7:04 PM
4 replies, 17008 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-08-24 11:43 AM (#123994)
Subject: How often to acid wash aluminum trailer?

Extreme Veteran

I purchased a Sidekick aluminum trailer in mid-July that hadn't had an acid wash for a while so along the way home, I had it washed at a truck stop.

It really made a nice difference and my friend that went with me said his sister had bought a trailer similar and that the second wash really finished it off even nicer.

I don't any close truck stops that offer that service and along the way going on my vacation they'll be a truck stop I could have it washed at. 

How often do they recommend to have your trailer acid washed?  Would it be too soon again?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-08-25 7:08 AM (#124021 - in reply to #123994)
Subject: RE: How often to acid wash aluminum trailer?

Expert

If you are in a location with your trailer that will allow you to wash it yourself,then,that is what I'd do rather than run it through a truck acid wash.

I dont like commercial acid wash facilities for trucks because I want to know what I am washing my own investment with.Plus,I am certain that I can get all of the chemical rinsed from my roof and around my windows.I have seen acid wash from commercial bays run down the roof and from around the windows on the sides of the trailer and streak them to beat the band.

I use a product called Streakmaster to wash mine.Sure it is work,and takes a while,but,I'm just fanatical about my "stuff" in that way.MetalWax also makes what I understand to be an excellent group of products with a flouride wash,although I have not had the opportunity to try them out yet.

As some more learned posters on HTW will probably tell you,the oxidation that appears on aluminum trailers,particular the "mill" finished ones,is a natural occurance that is inevitable to return in a matter of time.I follow up my acid wash with a protectant that I also wash on/rinse off and that seems to retard the graying process.Good luck.

PS: if you had it washed in mid-July,why would you want to have it done this soon? Just sayin,I think that's too often,myself.

Edited by crowleysridgegirl 2010-08-25 7:09 AM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-08-25 7:20 AM (#124022 - in reply to #123994)

Elite Veteran

The trailer maintenance company I deal with who is very good, said in South Fla it needs to be done yearly, but from Central Fla north every other year. Each washing should be followed with a waxing as well.

This schedule is for Fla - not sure about where you are, but more than once a year would probably be way too much. It does take off some of the finish each time, so you would be hurting your trailer if you did it too often. I agree that they look brand new after being done - but you can just wash it normally and wax it to achieve a great look.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-08-25 4:19 PM (#124048 - in reply to #123994)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the information. I haven't had an aluminum before so I'm glad I asked and will only do it yearly tops.

In the my past with my steel trailer I put on a yearly wax but haven't heard about waxing an aluminum. Would you use a certain wax or one you'd use on your truck?

Thanks!
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-08-28 7:04 PM (#124149 - in reply to #123994)

Extreme Veteran

I dabble in the streak Master products and occasionally use Purple power from HD.

I like the Streak Master products best.

I dilute the black streak remover 4 oz to a gal and wash the whole trailer.

Then wipe the non-polished aluminum running boards wheel wells and roof line using a a sponge to avoid drips and runs with the Streak Master aluminum bright (be care full with this stuff)

And after a good rinse I finish off and following washes with the Streak Master Ultra Guard.

I do the heavy cleaning twice a year (Spring and mid to late summer) and then just regular scrubbing with the ultraguard.

I too love a clean trailer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)