'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trading In

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-23 1:04 PM
27 replies, 7307 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2010-07-23 8:31 AM (#122717 - in reply to #122571)
Subject: RE: Trading In

Elite Veteran

At the risk of being drug through the mud, I'm going to throw a couple of thoughts in here- First- When you are shopping for a trailer, the person selling it, really wants money. That's why they put a price of $40,000 on it, and not "$25,000 and a nice 3H GN". Same with cars, tractors, and most anything else. Try to trade your old TV in to Wal-Mart. So if you want to give them a trailer instead of money, they have to go out and work to get their money out of the trailer. Probably now twice the amount of work because they have to sell 2 trailers to get the original $40,000. That comes with a price. That's why your 3H GN you think is worth 18,000 may be only worth 15,000 to a dealer. It might take her 6 months or more to get the 18,000. Second- This "service" business part of this thread is just wild. Most every dealership for any equipment I know of has at least 2 different departments- Sales and Service. They may be in the same building, but they have two different sets of books. Sometimes they are two seperate corporations even. When that trailer goes through the shop for everything that has been mentioned before, there is a real live bill that gets generated. The sales department owns the trailer, so they pay it and add it to the trailer. So yes- it is a real cost, not just a "this mechanic guy was hanging around anyway so let him play with it" kind of thing. Sorry to be so long. But like Pinkmouse said, it is clear that there are some differences of opinion here.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lorri
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-07-23 9:05 AM (#122718 - in reply to #122571)

Regular

Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-07-23 1:04 PM (#122726 - in reply to #122712)

Originally written by pinkmouse on 2010-07-23 7:52 AM

It could be implied, just as you took the liberty of implying the OP stated it would cost them nothing when they clearly stated the dealer would incur no cost above what they would already be paying in the normal cost of paying existing employees which I attempted to help clarify, to no avail.

I think that what everyone is trying to say is that the dealer will not incur any additional salary expense above and beyond what he normally pays.  I totally agree with this.  What I do not agree with is that there is no additional cost to the dealer.  Salary expenses are just a subset of the total cost of running a business. 

This thread reminds me of a conversation I had a couple of weeks ago with a person who was lamenting that their mother's doctor was no longer taking medicaid/medicare patients.  I tried to explain that often the payments for service do not cover their costs.  The person then said that the doctor should just lower his prices!!  After a minute or two of this I realized the person had no clue how a business runs so I changed the subject as soon as I could.

So Paracadista, how's the weather out your way?

Hot, but no reason to complain.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)