'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tying Up

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-07 1:54 PM
5 replies, 3608 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 9:25 AM (#121990)
Subject: Tying Up

Elite Veteran

Does anyone have any experience with this? We have a 4 year old QH mare that is n/n. She is turned out on pasture 24/7 with hay available 24/7. She gets about 1 1/2 pounds of 12% sweet feed a day which I'm going to change to a low starch now. Her physical condition is semi fit. One day over the weekend, we rode her for a couple of hours with a couple of breaks during the ride. That night we decided to go on a small ride. She shook a little when we took a break on that ride. We felt her and shined the night light on her and she was sweating a lot more than the other horses. She looked stressed and we decided to go back to camp which was 5 minutes away. She wasn't reluctant to move but she clearly acted tired and sore. She didn't dry up like the other horses. She had wet forearms and a wet abdomen(spotty.) Her urine was more of a stronger golden color. I decided to give her some bute. She eventually did relax a lot more. We stayed up with her until 4:30 am. She was fine after this. Was this a mild form of tying up? I have heard of this but I have never experienced it. She's bodying out this year. She was consistantly ridden all last year and she never had this issue.....I want to learn more so I can help her.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-07-07 11:31 AM (#121993 - in reply to #121990)
Subject: RE: Tying Up

Regular

I have posted extensively on this below....check the "advice for PSSM horse" (or something like that) thread. If I were you, I'd have your mare checked for PSSM. It's a simple hair pull that you can send to U of Minnesota (no need for a vet). If your horse is PSSM positive, you can manage somewhat with a change in diet. Switching from a sweet feed to a low carb concentrate is a great idea. Feel free to PM me with any other questions. In the case of my mare, we have decided to retire her (at 4!!). As long as she can live comfortably, she has a home in our field. I hope yours is just an isolated case. I wasn't so lucky.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 1:08 PM (#122001 - in reply to #121990)

Elite Veteran

Thank you...I didn't know you could do that without a vet check. I printed off the forms already.....I hope it was an isolated case.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 1:15 PM (#122003 - in reply to #121990)

Elite Veteran

Minnesota wants $65 and Animal Genetics in Florida wants $35. Is there a difference?
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-07 1:35 PM (#122004 - in reply to #121990)

Elite Veteran

We had a new horse this year tested for pssm...negative, she was just out of shape and stressed from a new environment.
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-07-07 1:54 PM (#122005 - in reply to #121990)

Regular

Sorry, I can't advise on the lab in Fla.  My vet clinic sent the muscle biopsy to MI, and so that's where I sent my hair pull (from Dandy's mama).

Of course there can be other factors to tying up (besides PSSM).  A selenium deficiency can also be problematic (check your area through your county extension agent before supplementing with selenium, to avoid toxicity).  Wait, I have a link to soil maps  here:  http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html.  I would definitely go with a low carb ration, and you may want to  top dress with a good quality oil (soy oil or even cocosoya).  Extra vitamin E won't hurt. either.

I wish you much luck!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)