'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
elite vs 4 star

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-28 4:46 PM
16 replies, 10994 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-06-26 10:24 PM (#121570)
Subject: elite vs 4 star

Help,
After trying to tent at the last 2 horse shows and being miserable, I decided that I need a new trailer. I have a 2008 chevrolet 3/4 ton with the large gas engine, and currently pull a 2008 trails west 2 horse bumper pull. I am on a budget of around $14,000. I am wanting a gooseneck with at least a 4' short wall, insulated, a/c, running water, and electrical and room for refrigerator, and microwave. These are must haves. I would really like a shower, awning, and mid tack, but don't have to have. I would prefer aluminum as I am trying to save on weight
to help with fuel, and I don't have storage.

I have searched and found a 2001 4 star 2 horse that has mangers, storage, rear tack, shower,
sink, lined and insulated, with electrical that I might be able to put a small refrigerator and microwave in. The listing number is 231429. It looks in reasonable condition, although the
aluminum is pretty oxidized.

I also found a 2003 elite listing number is 260228, the dimensions are 16 x 7'6" x 6'. I'm not sure if that means six feet
wide or is talking about the shortwall. It is in excellent condition, professionally lined and
insulated, with air conditioning, sink, electrical plug ins and closet. It does not have a shower, but is much nicer inside. Neither trailer has a mid tack, but it would just be me and 1 horse
traveling 90% of the time.

Both trailers are a 2 1/2 day drive from me, but I can't find anything reasonable in the northwest, so the lower prices may make it worth my time. From those of you with living
quarters weekenders, how much do you use the showers? There is a shower at the show
grounds where I show, but the lines can be long. Also how do people like the mangers with
storage. I have never had one.

Any opinions? Is it hard to install a cowboy shower if there is already a sink. I don't see
water tanks, so I am guessing it hooks up to water at the site. Thanks for any help.

Amber

Edited by slidingirl 2010-06-26 10:25 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-06-26 10:54 PM (#121571 - in reply to #121570)
Subject: RE: elite vs 4 star

Regular

Hi,If it were me, I would choose the 4 Star hands down. The 4 Star has a permanent tack so you can hose out the horse compartment without having water come under the wall into the tack area, drop down windows on the butt side and it has the advantage of the under manger storage area because you just can't have too much stuff.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-26 11:12 PM (#121572 - in reply to #121570)

Extreme Veteran

If I were you, I'd look further.  The 6' that you asked about is the interior width of the trailer.  From the pictures, I'm guessing that it's a two foot short wall and you specified that you want at least a 4' short wall.

On the four star, it has things that I personally don't like.  Of course, we all have our own types of horses and our own requirements.  I don't like the mangers as it interfers with the flexibility of the horse area.  For the same reason, I don't like a stationary rear tack. 

I think you can find something that fits your list of requirements within your price range.  

For myself, I want a shower. 

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 3:05 AM (#121573 - in reply to #121570)

Expert

The listings....

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=231429

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=260228

hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 5:50 AM (#121575 - in reply to #121570)

Extreme Veteran

Well I am biased towards the 4 Star having owned one. I think the quality of construction is better. The 4 Star will be a little heavier then the Elite is, for good reason, it's stronger. Thicker aluminum, more cross braces and tubular walls instead of c channel. As for the oxidation, nothing a little elbow grease can't fix. One winter I took to buffing my trailer, came out looking like a mirror and that was on a 24' trailer. You could buff this shorter trailer in no time.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 5:57 AM (#121576 - in reply to #121570)

Extreme Veteran

Dang website wouldn't let me edit my post! I would definitely want the mangers, two reason, storage and in a panic stop the horse can use it's chest to brace with instead it's nose. If you set up a cowboy shower in the stalls, you wouldn't have to worry about water run off with the permanent tack.
brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-27 8:27 AM (#121582 - in reply to #121572)

Regular

I am an Elite fan, but I love having mangers in the 4-Star, the storage below them & a shower. On any used trailer, check the axles. Both are top end trailer brands, I would try to get the 4 Star for less $$, or measure and see if a shower would fit in the Elite...My horses brace against the mangers rather than having their faces pressed against the windows...JMO A good acid wash will make either trailer look new! :) Happy shopping.
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 9:29 AM (#121584 - in reply to #121570)

Regular

Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 10:05 AM (#121588 - in reply to #121570)

Regular

I've done the same research you've done, and both brands are top notch. I've also owned both brands. I loved my 98 4Star, and wouldn't settle for less than that quality. I purchased a used 99 Elite gooseneck to replace it, and the quality is all there. The Elite has the same construction quality as the 4Star with the tubular wall framing, skin thickness etc. Both are heavily constructed trailers with strong hinges, windows, doors and latches.  With that being said, you should check the condition and care of each trailer including the living quarters, tires, electric etc.  With that being said, here's my opinion on the two trailers you're looking at:

-You will use that shower! I get creeped out by the public showers in the camp/show grounds, and there's nothing like showering the day's grime and sweat off you and NOT have to walk through a dusty, dirty campground back to your trailer. That shower in the 4star should have a tank under it. Cowboy showers run off under your trailer, which I don't care for. Again, you WILL use that shower!

-I had decided that I preferred no mangers, opting for the interior space for my big QH instead. My friend has mangers in hers, and my QH does fine in there, and she uses that space A LOT for chairs, forks, hoses, etc. I'd go for that option. You'll use it, especially in the absence of a mid-tack.

-The floor space under that saddle rack in that permanent tack is desireable to me. I can't tell you how many times I've had to rearrange buckets and groom caddies to fit just perfectly to be able to close the door with that brush tray on it. The saddle rack post is annoyingly in the way in mine. I've never had to undo a collapsable tack area, but understand the safety advantages. I just accept it's part of the risk of hauling for me. My friend used that space to store her portable generator.

-The 4Star looks like it started with more factory options (drop bars at the windows, drop downs on the butt, mangers, etc.) I use the drop-downs on the butt in mine (I also usually only haul one horse). I drop the one he's not in, and feel better about the extra circulation. (I'm going to buy and install those full-window screens so I'll feel better about stuff flying in.) Oxidation is no big deal. And the dressing room inthe 4Star is larger. It also looks like it has an antennae for a tv.

Bottom line: I'd lean toward the 4Star if the condition of each trailer is fairly equal, based on the features offered. The construction quality of both is great. I'd get batteries installed on whichever one you choose.  I love my Elite and I loved my 4Star. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-27 10:13 AM (#121589 - in reply to #121570)

Extreme Veteran

Looking at your name, I assume your horses are smaller.  If that's the case, and you are often only carrying one horse, the mangers may be something that you will find to be very convenient.  The reason I don't want them is that I need the ability to accomodate large horses.

Both trailers look very nice

slidingirl
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-06-27 12:15 PM (#121598 - in reply to #121589)

Thanks everyone, for all your insight. I am leaning towards the 4 star trailer, because of the
shower, mangers and extra storage. My horse are all under 15.1hh, so I don't think they should
have problems fitting in this trailer. I've thought about going to a 3 horse for the extra versatility, but the majority of the time I will be hauling just one horse, and that adds considerable cost to step up to a 3 horse.

I've have heard good things from both trailer companies, but I do worry a little about age of the trailer and axles as someone mentioned. I wish I lived closer so I could go take a look, but this would have to be a purchase done solely on pictures and word of mouth. Someone mentioned that I should try to get the 4 star for less. Do you think this is an unreasonable price? I can find nothing comparable in the northwest even close to that price, and it is still going to cost me $1000 or so in fuel to go get it?

Am I going to regret having such a small living area? Cost is a factor, but mainly I just need
somewhere cool and quiet to sleep, clean up and cool off. I figure I can get a little portable
stove to cook on, put an awning up, add a refrigerator and microwave and I should be set. I was exhausted the last 2 shows, putting the tent up, packing, putting the shade tent up, tables,
cooler etc. etc. I had such envy when everyone pulled up, hooked up to the electricity and water, rolled the awning out and had instant camp. I used too think that was so foo, foo, for
a cowgirl, but I am getting a little older and wiser. LOL

I thought about just getting a gooseneck locally, and trying to have my husband do it himself, but I foresee a 3 year project that never gets done. He is a busy man, and I don't have good
carpentry skills. Locally, in WA state, there is a 3 horse gooseneck elite that is a 2006 with an
insulated tack room, for $18,500, but that seems quite steep when it doesn't have any other of my requirements, and is really out of my budget.

I have always had a bumper pull, so I will be new to a gooseneck. Will I need a gooseneck
extension, as our truck is a shortbed? I have a very steep driveway onto the highway and then a sharp turn pulling out. My friends have made it out without difficulty, but have had to watch
clearance on the truck and swing wide. I don't want to take out my cab.

Sorry for the novel, I just have a lot of questions and value others opinions with more experience.
Amber

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-27 3:49 PM (#121607 - in reply to #121570)

Veteran

'I would definitely want the mangers, two reason, storage and in a panic stop the horse can use it's chest to brace with instead it's nose'

I took a class a couple of months ago that taught you how to prepare your horse for an emergency.  They gave out lots of examples of horse trailer mishaps.  One of them was about a high $$ mare who was in the exact situation you mentioned.  Right after the incident, the vet was called just to check the mare to see if she was ok.  She appeared fine.  A week later she was dead.  An autopsy revealed that when her chest hit the manger, it spread open the breast bone on impact just enough for it to pinch some internal flesh - when the breast bone snapped back together, the pinched flesh had no blood supply and subsequently decayed, causing her death.

Just something to consider.

nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 5:23 PM (#121615 - in reply to #121570)

Veteran

Both brands are very much the same quality.. good trailers... high end and bulit well.   I own an elite.. and love it... I was orignally looking at 4 stars and then seen the elites and I like the way the dividers are in the elite better.  
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-27 5:25 PM (#121616 - in reply to #121570)

Veteran

I looked at the pics of the links you posted... I like the 4 star better...  it has more... by looking at the pics I would take the 4 star..
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-06-27 6:53 PM (#121621 - in reply to #121570)

Veteran

nd deb - what did you like about the dividers?

Edited by pinkmouse 2010-06-27 6:54 PM
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-06-28 9:19 AM (#121649 - in reply to #121621)

Veteran

The head part of the divider goes up higher and back in the elites... I think they also are higher...  I have had horses that try to put their head over and into the stall next to them and pester the horse in there...
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-06-28 4:46 PM (#121672 - in reply to #121570)

Veteran

slidingirl,  I would lean towards the 4 Star if conditions are equal.  Even in WA, those rear drop downs are a plus for the hot days.  Also, I second the other posters on the shower.  You will definately appreciate your own shower at the end of the day.  I was in the same situation that you are in for trailer supply.  We don't have much in the PNW.  I bought out of state.  Prior to the purchase, I reviewed approximately 30 detailed photos.  The seller had pulled up the mats and sent me detailed photos of the bare floor.  I didn't actually pay prior to pick up.  I made all arrangements in advance, insurance, financing etc.  The purchase was contingent upon the trailer being in "as represented" condition.  4 Star was at the top of my short list, but I am happy with my Elite.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)