'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hydraulic Jack problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-25 8:24 AM
4 replies, 2937 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-06-24 8:16 AM (#121481)
Subject: Hydraulic Jack problem

I searched and read all the previous threads I could find and know this has to be something simple.  The jack would move slow and at one point would only extend.  Manual said that means low power.  The batteries were 6 yrs old so I purchased two new ones just like the old ones.  I hooked them up exactly like the old ones were.  These batteries don't have the auto posts on them, its the threaded brass screws that tighten the connections on them.  Anyway, almost two weeks ago when I unhooked the trailer it worked.  I took the old batteries out and there were no batteries in it for almost two weeks.  I hooked up the new batteries last night and the outside lights on the trailer work but nothing with the jack. There is an on/off switch for the batteries and it is on. It's getting no power.  I can't find a fuse anywhere to check but from reading the previous posts, I am almost sure this is a battery glitch on something.  Thanks in advance for your help.   
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-24 9:14 AM (#121484 - in reply to #121481)
Subject: RE: Hydraulic Jack problem

Expert

I woud check your battery terminals. Clean them, add some dielectric grease and retry
ND COWBOY
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-06-24 9:20 AM (#121486 - in reply to #121481)

Veteran

I had a similar problem. My jack would only go up, because of low battery power. I turned my master switch on and plugged in to shore power and could lower my jack. I have to make sure my master switch is on when I charge my batteries.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-06-24 9:31 AM (#121487 - in reply to #121481)

If you have no power at all to the jack, I would do as stated before. Check the connections for the jack, clean, and reconnect. If that doesn't work, use a test light and confirm that you are getting power at the jack. You could have a switch issue, but sounds more like a connection issue.  

By the way...the original problem with the jack was/is typical of a low power issue.

grumpyoldman
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-06-25 8:24 AM (#121512 - in reply to #121481)

OK, I knew I was a moron.  I found all the literature I could find on the jack.  I retraced my hot wire from the jack and found out that just because a wire has black flex around it doesn't mean its a negative wire.  It was the red wire hiding in the black cover.  Moved it to the correct side of the battery and works like brand new.  Many thanks to ya'll and Johnnie in service at Wayne Hodges in Weatherford for the phone help and consulting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)