'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Insurance agents and/or lawyers - I have a question.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-24 6:10 AM
13 replies, 5601 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 9:54 AM (#121445)
Subject: Insurance agents and/or lawyers - I have a question.

Hi all,

I need help.  Long story short.  I have comp & liability insurance on my trailer and was told that it was covered, period.  Well, the roof has delaminated and has seperated at the seams causing it to leak into my living quarters.  I'm not talking about a drip.  The trailer is an 05 model and was recalled in 07 to have the delamination process done again for this preventative measures.  The insurance adjuster has denied my claim based on the fact that "it is a manufacturers defect".  I was under the impression that comp insurance should cover anything.  I have been told that the decision should now be up to my agent to deny or approve the claim.  I am meeting with my agent to discuss this issue because I think I am right and they should cover the roof.  What do I do now?  Where can I turn for help?  Any advise is GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 10:46 AM (#121450 - in reply to #121445)
Subject: RE: Insurance agents and/or lawyers - I have a question.

You need to read your insurance policy and in particular the definitions. The policy likely covers an "occurrence" which is a defined term per the policy.

I am sorry to say that that insurer's position is likely the correct one. And by correct, I mean the one that a court would apply if it came to that.

As I understand your situation, the deterioration happened over time and probably will not meet the policy's definition of an occurrence.

Did the manufacturer purportedly take care of this issue in the recall? I would communicate with the manufacturer. What kind of roof is this? Dare I ask who is the manufacturer of your trailer?

I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

Edited by Winston 2010-06-23 10:48 AM
Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 10:53 AM (#121452 - in reply to #121450)

Originally written by Winston on 2010-06-23 10:46 AM

You need to read your insurance policy and in particular the definitions. The policy likely covers an "occurrence" which is a defined term per the policy. I am sorry to say that that insurer's position is likely the correct one. And by correct, I mean the one that a court would apply if it came to that. As I understand your situation, the deterioration happened over time and probably will not meet the policy's definition of an occurrence. Did the manufacturer purportedly take care of this issue in the recall? I would communicate with the manufacturer. What kind of roof is this? Dare I ask who is the manufacturer of your trailer? I am sorry you are having to deal with this.

I am finding this to be true. I have contacted the manufacurer and was told it is the adhesive company's fault and contacted them too and they said it's an installation issue; you see where this is headed.  The recall was done at a local dealer.  It is a fibergalss roof.  I have been advised to contact an attorney; especially since my warranty expired only 8 months ago AND I did the recall.  Thank you.  I am beside myself. 

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 11:43 AM (#121454 - in reply to #121445)

Expert

I will compare this to a situation in the house I had.  Plumbimng  had a pinhole leak.  Insurance did not cover the repairs to the pipes.  It covered the water damage to the wall.  Perhaps they would compromise in this way?
Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 12:00 PM (#121455 - in reply to #121445)

It seems that few manufacturers are willing to stand behind their products. A trailer's roof should not be falling apart.

I would suggest that you need an attorney well versed in Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code. I believe this Article has been adopted by every state except Louisiana.

Good luck.
Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 12:50 PM (#121457 - in reply to #121454)

They are willing to pay for the damage to the interior but, at this point, it is very minor.  Just a little warpage with my maple cabinets. 
Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 12:54 PM (#121458 - in reply to #121455)

Originally written by Winston on 2010-06-23 12:00 PM

It seems that few manufacturers are willing to stand behind their products. A trailer's roof should not be falling apart. I would suggest that you need an attorney well versed in Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code. I believe this Article has been adopted by every state except Louisiana. Good luck.

I will check into this.  Thanks.  You're right a 6 year old roof should not have any problems. 

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 1:07 PM (#121459 - in reply to #121445)

Extreme Veteran

I'm confused.  The damage is minor and they (not sure who "they" is) are willling to pay for it.   What is the problem exactly? 
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 1:11 PM (#121460 - in reply to #121459)

Extreme Veteran

Oh, I see. I reread your first post.  No, the roof repair would not be covered by insurance, unless it is some kind of extraordinary insurance. 
Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 1:16 PM (#121461 - in reply to #121459)

"They" is my insurance company.  Yea, they offered to pay for that; just not the roof issue. 

Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-23 1:31 PM (#121462 - in reply to #121445)

If you do a search on Google for fiberglass roof delamination, you will come up with hits on RV forums. You may want to read through some of those.

In the past, fiberglass delamination was an issue for boats & fiberglass swimming pools.

whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-06-23 3:24 PM (#121465 - in reply to #121445)

I would assume this trailer is a Cimmeron. A friend of mine just went through a simular situation and he called the manufacter and they helped out on some of the repair bill. I also think they told him if he took the trailer to there plant they could put a new roof on and not damage the interior.

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-06-23 7:04 PM (#121473 - in reply to #121465)

Veteran

The insurance company is correct-- "comp" is for wind, hail, etc. 

Insurance policies do not cover manufactures defects - on auto or homeowners.

Just like the other poster said- for instance-- a water heater bursting would not be covered - but the damage the water did would be.

Daisy Mae
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-24 6:10 AM (#121480 - in reply to #121445)

Thanks for all the input; it has helped me out a ton. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)