'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Choosing a Bit for New MFT

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-20 11:43 AM
16 replies, 7528 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-13 1:06 PM (#120104)
Subject: Choosing a Bit for New MFT

Veteran

I recently purchased a coming 6 year old MFT.  Ridden for the last 3 years but only periodically.  I know she was started in a snaffle, but was in a medium port curb bit when I  bought her.  I went rode her twice and didn't notice her chewing so much.  I don't have the exact type of bit that was used, but I have been trying to use the Imus bit, but all she does is chew on it--so much so she won't concentrate on what she is doing.  I have tried to put the bit in her mouth and just let her get used to it.  No matter how long I wait she just keeps chewing.  I have also tried to put a snaffle in and she did the same thing.  I had her teeth floated but that has not improved her chewing; it did solve her sticking out her tongue on the left side with the bit in her mouth.  The Imus bit does have a roller in it--I guess she could be playing with that.  If I purchase a curb bit, I want to try to get the right one.  Any recommendations would be good?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-13 4:19 PM (#120107 - in reply to #120104)
Subject: RE: Choosing a Bit for New MFT

Extreme Veteran

can you ask the old owner? Are you using copper? Are you sure you have it at the proper position? I am a fan of Mylar bits but who knows what you need with out seeing how the horse responds to shank lenght and such especially if you are not sure if she is playing with the roller or what is going on.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-05-13 8:19 PM (#120109 - in reply to #120104)

Veteran

Ditto is it fit good, is it to wide? narrow?  Imus and mb03 myler comfort snaffel are my favs.  How long in terms of hours has this horse had the bit in her mouth 20 to 30 hours yet? 
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-13 9:34 PM (#120112 - in reply to #120104)

Veteran

I would say she has been ridden 20 hours in the curbed bit. I had heard good things about the Imus bit and that's why I thought I would try it with her. My other MFT didn't like it, shook her head all the time. I would say the fit is good. Not too wide I don't think. Never had one that chewed and chewed like this.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-14 6:17 AM (#120122 - in reply to #120104)

Expert

My Arab/Saddlebred gelding has always chewed on bits. I started him in a snaffle. I tried a few curb and shanked bits, but eventually I just put him in a Little S hackamore.  And 12 years later he is still using that bit and doing well with it. He just never liked haveing something in his mouth.

I do use a Imus Comfort bit on one of my horses and I use a good quality correctional bit on some of the others.Some horses respond to tinkering around with different bits, Some horse just don't seem to care and give you the same response regardless of the bit.  I guess that why there are so many bits to choose from.

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-14 1:27 PM (#120152 - in reply to #120104)

Elite Veteran

Do you remember if the original owner rode with a caveson? If they did, they may have had it so tight that she couldn't open her mouth to "fiddle" with the bit or stick her tongue out. She is still a green horse in regards to training not to mention a 6 year-old is still considered a young horse to me. And she could also be nervous from not having too much done with her and exhibiting the anxiety through the mouth.

Like everyone else who posts it is just a guess at the issue since we can't see her. But I'll offer some ideas to think about.

I'd check to make sure she doesn't have any mouth issues like a missed hook on her teeth or a sore neck/back. Or she may remember the pain from having bad teeth prior to the float and has developed this habit. Don't you wish she could talk to you. :)

Once all health issues check out, I go back to a snaffle for training purposes. I like Myler like other posters have mentioned because you will avoid the nut cracker effect in a regular snaffle. Also since she has not been ridden much, she mostly likely needs more basic training to give to the bit along with bending/flexing etc. She needs to develop mucsles and become more fit. Overtime, she will accept the bit as long as you maintain soft hands. The more saddle time you can give her, the better as with all horses.

I have found that most gaited training skips a lot of the basic skills and goes right into the "gait" training with a curb bit. You will get a better gait and more control with your horse if you take a step back and start with flexing, bending and the poll, backing calmly etc and then move back into the curb for gait enhancement. If you horse has a great gait right now, this is just icing on the cake.

My 7-year-old MFT just quit chewing the bit this year; she is a high enery horse and needs something to play with so a roller bit worked for me. It will take time, but most horses grow out of it. I would not recommend a tight caveson at this point in her training unless she is sticking her tongue over the bit.

Good luck, I know this is a highly iritating habit.

my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-14 3:22 PM (#120161 - in reply to #120104)

Veteran

Thanks for the advice.  I have been spending a lot of time with ground work like you said.  On the ground now she is a big baby-runs to me as long as the others aren't pinning their ears at her.  I might put her in the snaffle for now and see. Snaffle is what I use with all of my other ones--might check out the myler.
my3horses
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-14 3:29 PM (#120162 - in reply to #120152)

Veteran

What type of Myler bit do you use?  I was looking at them and there are so many and expensive.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-05-14 3:57 PM (#120164 - in reply to #120104)

Personally I think the Robarts pinchless bits are good as I have had success with them on my horses. The mouthpieces do not move and that seems to help the horses. My high strung figity mare is now going very well with the Robarts waterford. Most of my horses have to use a caveson too. You can look at the Robarts bits on www.showstoppertack.com and www.nationalbridle.com.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-05-17 11:49 AM (#120276 - in reply to #120162)

Elite Veteran

my3 horses>> Any level one comfort snaffle will work. Here is a link to the different styles: http://mylerbitsusa.com/comfort_bits.shtml

And then I have had success with my fidgety mare using a level one, short shanked bit barrel bit. She likes to spin the roller which is better than her chomping on the bit. She does like a copper mouth piece since it keeps her mouth moist. http://mylerbitsusa.com/barrel_bits.shtml

There is also a good section on this site that goes over selecting the right bit.

I've bought all my bits on eBay and Craigslist to save on money.

I also ride a finished gelding in a short shank Robart bit as Rose suggested. It has nice balance and works great for a finished horse.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-11 7:30 PM (#121069 - in reply to #120112)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by my3horses on 2010-05-13 9:34 PM

INot too wide I don't think. Never had one that chewed and chewed like this.

Are you sure you have it high enough in her mouth. Seems most people have there bits low.

HorseyHeidi
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-06-12 9:08 PM (#121098 - in reply to #120104)

My MFT hates any bit in her mouth.  The previous owner used the bitless bridle, but she ran right through it with me. She chomped & chewed & pranced with many different bits. I finally tried her in an "s" hackamore.  It was like a different horse.  Instantly quited down & walked quietly through the trails. I have brakes too.  I've used it for two years so sucessfully that I switched my TWH to it also.  I now barely have to rein them.  Good luck in your search !
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-16 12:47 PM (#121219 - in reply to #120104)

Extreme Veteran

I'm not one for bandwagons, but I'm a believer in the Imus bit. I'm sure robarts would be similar. My 4 yr old Rocky Mountain/TWH cross wouldn't gait for her life..just paced in a snaffle, 2 different walking horse bits, wonder bit, and a standard short shank curb. I put her in the Imus Comfort bit with shanks and within 3 days, it was like riding on a cloud. She lightened up on her front, tucks her nose, and gaits beautifully.

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-06-23 10:38 PM (#121476 - in reply to #120104)

Regular

I, too, love my Imus bit for my MFT. I have previously ridden in a snaffle, but have been using my Imus comfort bit since last winter almost exclusively. Experiment with the pacement. I have it right at the corners, with no wrinkles. Also, the curb chain is very loose: 3 fingers stacked. There is alot of communication with this bit and I do alot of lateral work so it suits me and my horse well.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-06-23 10:47 PM (#121477 - in reply to #120104)

Regular

BTW, I like that bit style so much that I ordered the one from Robarts that looks to be of the same design.           

I had a gift certificate for Robarts so I decided to buy one from them for my other bridle.  Then I wouldn't need to swap out bits for different riding events.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-23 11:04 PM (#121478 - in reply to #120104)

Expert

The IMUS  has a roller in the middle of the bit.  maybe your horse is just PLAYING with the roller. It may not be a discomfort or sign of her disliking the bit. But rather just playing with it.

Sometimes it's like a kid with a loose tooth. They just can't leave it alone.

PasoFinoZZZ
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 11:43 AM (#123850 - in reply to #120104)

Its probably the roller. I have Paso Fino's and they all play with the bit so much so it gets on your nerves. both are mares. my stallion don't play with his, but his is a Myler bit. Check these out. Their expensive, but their good. I would just get a medium port, 5" shank. Take it from me, you might purchase 20 bits before you find one that works. Been there done that. Ive got 10 horses and all of them use a different bit. Their all gaited to. TWH's and Paso Fino's.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)