'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
walking on trailer roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-14 2:37 PM
5 replies, 6102 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pmcgreg
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-05-12 3:33 PM (#120067)
Subject: walking on trailer roof

I'm preparing to reseal the seams on my trailer roof.  It's a 3H slant GN, aluminum over steel construction. I'm having trouble reaching the center from a ladder on the side.  How do I work up there?  Would a piece of 1/2" plywood to stand on be enough? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-05-12 5:22 PM (#120075 - in reply to #120067)
Subject: RE: walking on trailer roof

Veteran

Not sure of the make on your trailer. I have Platinum with an aluminum roof and I walk on it all the time. I would suggest the plywood could be unsafe and slide with you on it and cause you to fall.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-12 8:08 PM (#120081 - in reply to #120067)

Expert

Many trailer roofs are only .040" or less and can oil can if stepped upon between the bows. On a flat roof the plywood may be a help. I agree with CC. Even on a moderately bowed roof, there is a danger of you and the plywood sliding off the side.

Last year we installed an A/C unit on an Exiss trailer. It has a bowed roof and we used plywood to support the A/C unit and us, until it could be set into place. Even with two of us sliding things round to the correct position, the plywood was as much a hindrance as a benefit.

If one were to glue some rubber shelf liner, or something similar, to the bottom of a smaller piece of plywood, the process might be made more safe. Obviously the plywood length, should extend past the roof bows' spacing. If it were less "slippery" on the curved metal, it would allow a more safe undertaking.

pmcgreg
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-05-13 8:04 AM (#120096 - in reply to #120067)

Thanks for the replies.  It's from this forum that I've learned how to tackle the leaky roof...3M 5200 just arrived from Jamestown :).

The trailer is a '91 Crescent, and has a flat roof.  I'm mostly concerned with whether or not the bows would support my weight, 125lbs distributed across several bows by the plywood.  I'm guessing it probably would.

The shelf liner is a great idea...reminded me that I've got an old carpet pad that might keep the scratches to a minimum. 

Pam

horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-05-13 10:25 AM (#120101 - in reply to #120067)

Veteran

pam,  I routinely walk on my flat roof.  When I wash it in at the end of the season, I access the roof via the hay rack.  I do take care to step on the bows, not the sheeting.  The times when I have had to actually work up there, I used a pine barn board (1x12).  It was both light and ran most of the length of the trailer, making my job easier. Most roofs can take a loaded hayrack, and that is substantial weight.  If the weight is on the bows, or better yet, distributed across the bows, there should be no problem with your weight on the roof.  I like the anti slip drawer, carpet idea, especially for a bowed roof.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2010-05-14 2:37 PM (#120157 - in reply to #120067)

Expert

For a serious roof effort that will NOT support body weight...RENT some scaffolding for both sides of the trailer and lay support boards across the top and just move the trailer underneath it...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)