'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone experienced with deep flexor tendon injury??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-13 2:56 PM
3 replies, 3583 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-05-09 9:35 AM (#119930)
Subject: Anyone experienced with deep flexor tendon injury??

Elite Veteran

I recently took my favorite gelding to the vet after he appeared lame on a short ride. The vet took x-rays, ultrasound, and nerve blocks. There was nothing remarkable in these tests, but some relief with the nerve blocks... He told me the horse should be on stall rest, walked 15" per day, 2 gms bute each day, and keep him in for next 7-9 months... or spend 2K and get an MRI in Oklahoma... has anyone had this injury??? I appreciate your help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-05-10 10:21 AM (#119967 - in reply to #119930)
Subject: RE: Anyone experienced with deep flexor tendon injury??

Extreme Veteran

Not sure I understand the "do this or spend $2K on an MRI" philosophy...

My gelding sustained a deep gash in his hind leg that required some major stitching.  My vet wasn't comfortable doing the fixit work and recommended a clinic in the area.  He bandaged and I transported.  The horse spent 3 nights at the clinic, had an MRI to assess the damage to the deep digital and was stitched and treated and the total bill was about $2400.  They did a great job, but the horse required about 10 months for recuperation - daily cleaning and rebandaging, confinement with limited hand walking, antibiotics and bute.  He still has a bit of a scar, but is sound. 

If you truly suspect deep digital injury, I don't see how you can avoid the MRI - just my opinion...

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-12 9:43 AM (#120047 - in reply to #119930)

Extreme Veteran

I have had this injury and my horses recovered in a stall with 24hour access to a paddock. I just saw a special on this on RFDTV and they did not like stall rest because it causes more scar tissue and the chance of reinjury is higher.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-05-13 2:56 PM (#120105 - in reply to #119930)

Extreme Veteran

I should have been more specific in my description.  The horse was on stall rest for about 2-3 months with limited hand walking.  I would let him stand outside the stall in his paddock to graze, but not free walk.  After that, I created increasingly larger paddocks with my portable electric fence so he could have a little more room to excercise, but could not get up a head of steam.

So far, so good!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)