'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Paint

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-14 1:42 AM
6 replies, 3810 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-06 6:09 AM (#119782)
Subject: Paint

Elite Veteran

Has anyone dealt with PSSM? I just took our new horse to be vet checked yesterday and I am waiting for the blood results. She has no lameness issues, healthy heart and lungs. She has major excercise intolerance beyond normal conditioning after about twenty minutes which is why we took her in to our vet. She literally will lay down spralled out, sweating alot with a high heart rate. She doesn't have any Impressive in her because HYPP was the other possible diagnosis. I can't see this just being lazy. We trail ride alot and I strongly feel the people who sold her to us knew....I will deal with that after her diagnosis. I'm really dissappointed and pissed at the same time.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-05-07 11:46 AM (#119848 - in reply to #119782)
Subject: RE: Paint

Regular

Check my post below:  Recommendations for PSSM horse. 

I am currently facing a dilemma of what to do with a perfectly healthy 4 y/o mare diagnosed with PSSM.  It can be treated with diet (to an extent) if the patient is cooperative about eating her feed/supplements .

I have done quite a bit of research on the matter..feel free to PM me and maybe I can point you to some resources.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-07 1:20 PM (#119855 - in reply to #119782)

Elite Veteran

I am sorry for your horse....All blood work came back negative on mine. I thought for sure she had it....I have never encountered an out of shape/lazy horse like this. I'm finding out this horse hasn't ever really been worked. She knows a stall and what a paddock is. I'm glad she isn't ill but we have some work to do with her.
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2010-05-07 1:31 PM (#119858 - in reply to #119782)

Regular

I am happy your tests came back negative.  That has to be such a huge relief.

We are still unsure what to do with this mare.  If she can live in my pasture w/o a lot of assistance, I guess so-be-it.  If she becomes high maintenance, we will probably put her down.  I can't see keeping an expensive pasture puff for another 20-25 years.  Selling or giving her away is almost out of the question; she is really a stunning mare and someone would probably breed her.  I would consider donating her to a university; contact is something that is on my to-do list.

Incidentally, we bred this mare (and her momma).  The PSSM came from the sire's side (stallion has since died).    PSSM isn't anything I'd ever heard of; from now on it is something that'll be in the front of my mind if considering a purchase or before breeding a horse.  Devastating.

Edited by JustMary 2010-05-07 1:34 PM
Little miss stump
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-09 1:05 PM (#119937 - in reply to #119782)

New User

Yes

mom i would love to work with her more with you and bob

today was fun with the horses

i cant wait untill next time i get to do it

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-09 1:23 PM (#119938 - in reply to #119782)

Elite Veteran

Hi honey. I would love your help in getting her conditioned. Thanks.
chucky
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-14 1:42 AM (#120119 - in reply to #119937)

maam im sorry to hear about ur horse.  i think ur making the right decisions for sure.  if u can donate her that would be good. but if u cant, putting her down would b ur option.  i agree u cant deal with that for the next 20 yrs.  i would be doing the same exact thing. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)