'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
equine cushings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-13 6:20 AM
2 replies, 3030 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-05-04 7:25 AM (#119689)
Subject: equine cushings

Veteran

I have a 21 year old mare who I have owned since she was 19 months old. She has significant arthritis. In addition to her arthritis, she was not shedding out well this year, and had significant rain rot, that was not responding well to treatment. She also had a bout of pneumonia a year ago in the fall, which was attributed to a depressed immune system. (Pneumonia can happen to Cushings horses because the immune system is compromised). She was placed on an immune building supplement. Fortunately, through all this, she has not developed laminitis, which is common among Cushings afflicted horses(knock on wood!) She was also what the cowboys call "ADR", ain't doing right. She seemed more lethargic than normal. However, she did not have the curly hair or tell tale fat deposits of Cushings. I asked the vet to test her when he was out to do spring shots, teeth, etc. Her insulin level was 4x the norm! The vet said he would not have recommended testing her based on appearance, said it was a good call, and asked why I wanted her tested. Horses you see and interact with everyday are like your children.....you know when something is amiss, especially taking into consideration her clinical history. She is on pergolide, 1ml daily, and I can see a big difference in her energy level already. I gave her an iodine bath on the first really warm day, and when dry, used rainrot medication. The rainrot is subsiding nicely. Thank the good Lord!

Brenda

Edited by heritagelanefarm 2010-05-04 7:27 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2010-05-12 6:53 PM (#120078 - in reply to #119689)
Subject: RE: equine cushings

Extreme Veteran

I have a 28 year old gelding that has Cushings. The only sign he has is the long hair that doesn't shed. Thank goodness no laminitis!
Good call you made catching it in your mare. It can be a devastating disease. My gelding's mom died from it before vets really knew what it was. It was horrible watching her waste away and now realizing that we did everything wrong.
Hope your mare continues to improve and you have many more years with her!
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2010-05-13 6:20 AM (#120090 - in reply to #120078)
Subject: RE: equine cushings

Veteran

Thanks, Linda! After just 2 weeks on Pergolide, I can see a difference in her attitude, coat, and energy level. She came in second out of 4 in her race with the boys when called in from the pasture yesterday (despite arthritis and cushings). It made my heart glad! The boys are all healthy!

Brenda

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)