'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shadow Horse Trailer Hardware

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-06 7:22 AM
6 replies, 6854 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sliceva
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-01 7:27 PM (#119597)
Subject: Shadow Horse Trailer Hardware

I just purchased a brand new 2010 Shadow 2 Horse Warmblood Bumperpull. The first time my horse went in the trailer he backed into the butt bar and the large metal D - ring that is attached to the center board broke in half, rendering the butt bar useless. I would not consider his backing into the bar something that should or would brake the D ring as he didn't go back quickly or with a large amount of force.Has anyone else had an issue with the hardware or anything else in the Shadow trailers, or was this just a cast piece that was unsound? It seems like it is a cheaply made piece so now I am concerned about this large purchase and the construction of the rest of the trailer and its parts.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-05-01 7:36 PM (#119598 - in reply to #119597)
Subject: RE: Shadow Horse Trailer Hardware

Extreme Veteran

I had the same thing happen but on the chest bar. The horse likes to lean around the head divider to get to the other horse's hay bag. Not that he doesn't have his own. My trailer is an 08. I just purchased another D-ing and replaced it. I haven't had any other issues. Did you contact Shadow?  
sliceva
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-01 7:41 PM (#119599 - in reply to #119597)

I just sent them an email. I am concerned because I need to use the trailer and if this continues to happen it will scare my horse as he won't feel the security of the butt bar being in place.I am glad to hear you haven't had any other problems, are you happy with the rest of the trailer?
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-05-01 7:54 PM (#119600 - in reply to #119599)

Extreme Veteran

Yes, I'm happy with the rest of the trailer. I had my big horse (the hay stealer) wrap himself around the head divider and nearly pull the whole divider up. The trailer survived that fairly well. I called them for a couple of tie rings for the SIDE of the trailer instead of on that center pole. If yours doesn't have those, ask for them. They mailed them to me at no charge. Keeps the heads in a better place. It was stupid to have tie rings only on a removable center pole. I've used the crap out of this trailer and it's been just fine overall and still looks good.
sliceva
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-05 8:38 AM (#119740 - in reply to #119597)

My dealer, Traveled Lane Trailers, were extremely responsive and they overnighted me replacement D rings made of Stainless Steel. 

I did speak to Shadow directly and they maintain that the D rings are meant to break at a certain amount of pressure and that the only other parts in the trailer made of that aluminum composite are on the tie rings.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-05-05 8:44 AM (#119742 - in reply to #119740)

Extreme Veteran

I guess I could buy that if the horse were to jump over the breast bar but I wouldn't want the butt bar to fail. I haven't had any problems but will consider replacing my butt bar D rings with stainless. Glad to hear you got good service!
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-05-06 7:22 AM (#119787 - in reply to #119597)

Elite Veteran

I have an '03 that I bought from a friend in '06- No issues with the chest or butt bars, rings, dividers, etc  its just needed regular maintance, though I did need new brakes in '08 and had the roof recaulked at the same time.

South Fla is really hard on caulk and we get torrential rainstorms and I didn't want to risk any leaking.  I've been very happy with the trailer and I use it 2-4 times a month for day rides and campouts.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)