'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
saddles with no back cinch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-02 4:09 PM
8 replies, 11989 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

charliegirl
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-04-23 5:47 PM (#119275)
Subject: saddles with no back cinch

New User

I am shopping for a new saddle for a 14'2 Rocky Mountain. Looking closely at  Circle Y. Has anyone tried the rigging with the angled rear D? Also any opinions on a Dixieland saddle? Please don't recommend Tucker, I had one and it didn't like it. Thanks for any input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-04-23 10:26 PM (#119287 - in reply to #119275)
Subject: RE: saddles with no back cinch

Elite Veteran

I have a rocky also.. Nothing I've tried has fit her but my bates (english) with the adjustable gullet (wide to extra wide).. I also have a silver royal  western which fits OK and clears her spine.. but it had a tendency to roll the times I used it (years ago) and I just went to the english as it was a better fit and comfortable for me as well.  I don't know what your rocky's back is like, but my mare's withers are med-low and meaty.. Had her back officially measured for saddle fit and the shaper thing looked like it had been set on a barrel... . I think a good short, round backed circle Y might fit.. You need the short rounded rear skirt.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-04-26 1:11 PM (#119384 - in reply to #119275)

Elite Veteran

My husband and I bought Dixeland gaited saddles for our MFTs. He likes his, I hated mine! Too heavy and the rise in the seat was too high and seat was too wide which caused pain everytime we gaited. The leather is good quality, but somewhat stiff. Hubby is still getting his broke in after 3 years... and yes, we do ride a lot. The squeak is almost gone. We've gone through tons of baby powder. :)

I eneded up with a flex-panel saddle and have been very pleased. I can use it on my QH mare or my MFTs. Flex-panel is very different from a flex-tree. The panel adjusts to the horses back and shoulders and frees the shoulder for a better gait.

There are several different saddle companies that offer a flex-panel. After looking and trying several I was pleased with RL Watson and Timberline. RL Watson custom made what I wanted and the leather was sooo soft and supple that there was no break in time. My knees really appreciated that.

A lot of endurance riders will tell you that the older Ortho-flex were made better than the new ones. Only thing I can say is that I was not impressed with the leather quality and movement of the panel on the new Orthoflexs; plus the cost was somewhat higher than a Watson or Timberline.

I've heard mixed reviews from CrestRidge Saddlery. So might want to check them out too. Here is a link to opinions on saddles and other tack:http://www.horsetackreview.com/

Happy saddle hunting.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-04-29 6:51 PM (#119514 - in reply to #119275)

I like the english saddles for the weight issue; however, considering weight, comfort for horse and rider, imo there is no better saddle for a gaited horse than a Jack Haggis. I also have a Tennessean that I like very very much.

I like the centerfire rigging on the Tennessean endurance saddles;  it really holds the saddle without squishing the horse.

Edited by rose 2010-04-29 6:54 PM
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-05-01 11:56 AM (#119586 - in reply to #119275)

Veteran

I second the opinion on flex-panel saddles. I've tried almost all the Ortho-Flex models by buying,trying and selling. And now it's a hobby. I've had saddles made by Richard Watson and would suggest that if you are looking to buy new, not a new Ortho-Flex (though I do have a never-used really pretty Ortho-flex Tempi All Around for sale now. It's a good choice if you want a fully rigged square skirt that is short and wide, has a narrow twist, padded seat and is lightweight.
My favorite model is the Caliente. I've found that the dropped yoke rigging anchors front and back of the tree and I haven't missed having a back cinch. Happy to help anyone with some non-expert opinions and info on these sorts of saddles. I normally have one or two available. Right now I have four including a well-used Caliente on ebay. Taerie@copper.net
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-05-01 1:10 PM (#119589 - in reply to #119514)

Extreme Veteran

If you want the best, the RL Watson is it.

http://www.rlwatsonsaddles.com/
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-05-01 10:56 PM (#119602 - in reply to #119275)

www.haggissaddles.com is the website for the Jack Haggis saddles
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-05-02 3:52 PM (#119620 - in reply to #119275)

Elite Veteran

I too have been through sooooo many saddles in the ultimate saddle search. I too have bad knees and my seat bones bruise badly. I have found that endurance saddles are your best bet.They are designed by real riders, people who do long distance riding. I really like the RL Watson flex panel saddle. He has a no thrills, bare bones one, (endurance model )new for $900-

These saddles have total spine clearance which is the best thing for the horse. My gelding kept getting a sore back near the flank area. It was because the saddles( all western style ) sit directly on the spine in the rear of the saddle. Going on the down hill is where he would pitch a fit and kick under-neath his belly constantly.The flex panel will fit pretty much any horses back. The re-sale value on RL Watson saddles is pretty much guaranteed 100%. Believe me, I have been looking for a used one now and can't get to it before someone else does! Most endurance saddles are built specifically for comfort for long distances. Most now will have extremely well padded seats with memory foam or something similar.

Another thing you might want to try if you can ride is an english saddle. Wintec makes a synthetic endurance saddle that you can adjust the tree yourself (easily ) 6 different adjustments. English saddles too, if fitted correctly, will have total spine clearance as well. I love my western style saddles but just can't use 'em on my horse anymore.( due to the spinal clearance thing)From looking at a horse from behind, saddled up, you should be able to see the horses spine, with the saddle clearing the backbone and not sitting on it. Try a saddle that fits like this, you won't believe how much better your horse moves and feels during a long ride. You will see a much more improved attitude for sure!

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do-

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-05-02 4:09 PM (#119622 - in reply to #119275)

regarding the Haggis saddles......I use english leathers and irons on mine, but could not get my photos to load here so this is from the Haggis website

Customer Testimonials ...

Jeff: I wanted to thank you for the very nice saddle.  It looks great and fits GiGi too.   I was hoping to get a chance to ride before writing you but the weather and my work schedule have not been cooperating.  I did manage to get GiGi out for a short ride a couple days after your saddle arrived.  Needless to say, with the weather we have had this winter, it was the first time I have ridden GiGi this year.  The day was warm the horses spirited and I chose to use a snaffle bit.  Let’s just say if I had any reservations about the security of your saddles I am now quite confident in their seat.  Hindsight…  we may go back to a curb bit for a month or two.   BAD!!!  GIRL!!! Best regards and thank you again for a beautiful saddle, .........Matt

Haggis trooper saddle deluxe testimonialHello Jeff and Karen..
   Just a note to tell you how much I appreciate, enjoy and respect your work. The quality of leather, and painstaking detail you put into your stitching is unsurpassed. The deluxe trooper I purchased from you has been a constant sense of enjoyment and comfort for both me and my TWH mare [pictured]. My saddle experience as cost me literally thousands of dollars and years of searching, experiments, mistakes made, etc..  Trusting you, and your multi-generation experience as been wonderful. Also, your patience in my minor changes and last minute orders went above and beyond. Every item purchased from you has exceeded my expectations from the picture and description.

My advice to anyone who will listen is that if they've got a horse that they plan to keep they need to treat themselves and that horse to a Haggis Trooper and how ever many accessories you will use. Just ride one after you've rode the rest, and are ready for the best. Best wishes you two and thanks once again. Best wishes.

Respectfully, Andy 

Hello Haggis Saddlery

I finally got to ride the trooper you built on the rockey mountain frame for my fat little singlefooter mare and it is just grand. We rode for 10 days, averaging 3 hours per day, in +/- 70 degree weather, up and down hills on the trails and down the road. I used only the pad I bought from you, a light-weight martingale, a neoprene girth and carried a cantle snugpak with a poncho tied on top and a water bottle / fly spray container off the right side of the pommel. My horse had a uniformly wet back and not a single warm or puffy spot anywhere on her, after each ride. This is a first for me with this mare. Nothing has worked on her without some problem developing at some point. I am more pleased than you can imagine that finally, my mare can end a ride in comfort.

In addition to the excellent fit for the horse, the saddle also fit me very well. I did not have to dismount even once to walk and ease my knee pain and stiffness. And I was quite surprised to find that my old broken tail bone was quiet, too. And as you told me, with each ride, the seat seemed to increase in comfort as it molded to my shape.  My riding position was  very centered and it was a treat to look down and see those powerful shoulders working out in front of the tree. Both those features resulted in the best movement and gait this little mare has given to date.

I was a bit concerned that I would feel insecure in the trooper. While it does not offer the security of my endurance saddle or a western model, I was able to go up and down hills without particular concern. The one time the mare tripped and went to her knees, the only change in my position was to lean back until she was able to pop back up. And it was quite a surprise when I found I could mount from a fairly small rise on the ground without the saddle shifting significantly -- no stump hunting was required.

For myself, there are just 2 things I would change about the saddle. I would like a hand-hold in front to make it easier to pick it up and a more secure attachment for the crupper D. I did not use the crupper as it is attached only to the saddle leather and not the frame. For a hand-hold,  I tied on a looped strap of leather.

I have bragged this saddle up to every horse person I meet. I’m sold on the Haggis Trooper, for sure, and think everyone should have one. Thank you so much.................Helen Meier, Rosebush, MI

Greetings Jeff!  I have had my saddle for approximately 6 months and I love it!  Most important my Kentucky Mountain Saddle Horse, Stoli loves it!  The craftsmanship is outstanding and the comfortunbelievable.  Many of my friends and my trainer at the barn have tried it out as well and cannot beleive how comfortable it is to ride.  It is a perfect fit for my gaited horse. I thank you very much for making my horse and I comfortable when riding.  Keep up the great work! 

Sincerely, Michael from Yardley, PA

Edited by rose 2010-05-02 4:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World