'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hoof Boots

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-14 10:59 PM
10 replies, 7929 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-04-23 12:05 PM (#119258)
Subject: Hoof Boots

Extreme Veteran

Looking for some opinions on the best boots for trailriding.  I'm considering leaving my trail horse barefoot and just putting the boots on when I trail ride, or would it be better to nail on shoes and keep the boots in my saddle bag for emergency purposes.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-23 1:57 PM (#119265 - in reply to #119258)
Subject: RE: Hoof Boots

Expert

My horses have been barefoot for 4 years. I've several of the EasyCare boots.  I' screwed up my post and can only edit for few moment.s So I'll explain more in the next post

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-04-23 2:00 PM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-23 2:23 PM (#119266 - in reply to #119258)

Expert

I have several 5-6 year old horses who have never had shoes. My older horses were shod, but have been barefoot for the last 4 years. I can ride ANYWHERE for a day. I can't ride rough trails for multiple days in a row barefoot. I either need to give my horses a day off or put some protection on their feet.  That being said, You need to understand that I ride very rough country. My wife says I don't know what the term "a short ride" means. It's not uncommon for us to ride 20+ miles in very rocky conditions. My horses will go, they don't become lame, but they do start walkin the edge of the trail, brushing me into trees and brush as they try to avoid the rough spots after a day of rough riding.

The cure is either put shoes on, put boots on or apply some sort of sole protection like Sole Guard from Vettec.

I've used most of the models of EasyCares Easyboot.  The original easyboot, the Epic, The Bare and now I'm using the  Gloves.  The gloves are hands down the easiest to put on.  They provide protection. But I have had them come off a few times. Usually at a canter or when the horse is making a lot of laterial movements. ( working cows, spooking away from something etc)  You can pay for a lot of shoes ( at least in my area) for what a set of boots cost. Add in the maintenance cost of repairing damaged gaiters etc, you will not really save a lot of money using boots vs shoes. So if saving money is your motivation for going barefoot. You won't really save anything.

The trick to going barefoot is regular frequent triming of the hooves.  You can't let the hoof walls flare. For my horses that requires I trim them every 2-3 weeks in the summer and 3-4 weeks in the winter. If you are paying for a farrier to come trim your horses every 3 weeks, You are going to spend more money in farrier bills that you will save in shoes.  I've learned to trim my own horses. It's not a big deal to take a rasp to their hooves every couple of weeks, I'm usually out feeding and checking on them anyway.

Several of my horses, I just apply the Sole Guard before heading out on a pack trip.  I can usually get 15 days of use before it falls out. So if you do a fresh trim as you applied the sole guard you should be good to go for two weeks of use.  Sole Guard cost $30 a tube and does basically 4-5 hooves. So again, You are not saving any money over putting shoes on.

If you are doing this because you think it is better for the horses feet. Great.  If you are doing it to save money. It won't. Remember not all horses do well barefoot. Some just need shoes. Don't get caught up in hype if your horses doesn't do well barefoot. Of course the type of terrain you ride in, How far you ride, and how often you ride will all affect your horses ability to go barefoot.  Here are some of the places I ride.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-04-26 12:19 PM (#119381 - in reply to #119258)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the input.  I only wish I had the opportunity to ride that terrain.  One of the problems with my horse is he has a tendency to throw his shoes off.  I can't say that he has soft feet.  He has been barefoot since last fall, and his hooves seem to be in very good shape, but sometimes the shoes just don't want to stay set.  So, since I don't get to ride as much as I used to, I was thinking that keeping him barefoot around the farm would be ok and then putting boots on for the trails would protect his feet.

I heard that the renegade boots stay put the best.  None of them are cheap, but I wouldn't want to struggle with getting boots on and off either.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-04-27 12:48 PM (#119432 - in reply to #119381)

Expert

The Easy Boot Goves are very easy to put on.

The other models are a little tougher to get on, But once you've done it a few times, you get the hang of it.

But when they are new and you are inexperienced, They can be a challenge.

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2010-04-28 12:54 PM (#119475 - in reply to #119258)

Extreme Veteran

the renagade boots do stay on  very well and are easy to get on and off.   they are probably the most expensive boot out there tho.  As far as I know they don't fit a broad size range but I'm going to find out since I'd rather use them then have our big footed TWH shod for a ride this summer.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-04-28 2:29 PM (#119482 - in reply to #119258)

Extreme Veteran

Acy, did you have your farrier help with the fitting on these boots?  I heard they work well, but it seems the Glove boots are easier to use.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-04-30 12:48 PM (#119548 - in reply to #119258)

Elite Veteran

Ok- I have to say, I have tried them all!
The only ones that stay on in mud, water and everything else are the Cavallo Boots (simple boot)They will rub the heel area if you dont use a sock or gaiter. Get this.....I use the gaiter made for the Boa Boot! It works people!! I have tried the gaiters made for the Cavallo Boot but they were not as well made as the gaiter for the Boa Boot.( thicker more durable neoprene)I do long distance riding too. The Cavallo boot is easy to put on and take off. ( I have found that you usually need 1 size smaller than the recommended size for the length on the chart sizing.)I have NEVER had one come off. All the others came off way too easily. And yes I fitted them properly too. Even tried to go down a size and they still fell off!!( easyboot anything )
Another less expensive model for the Cavallo Boot is the "Delta Boot". Same guy designed the two. The cavallo's will run you $129- for the pair. Delta Boot $99- for the pair.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-06-11 10:41 PM (#121074 - in reply to #119258)

Expert

If your horse has round feet like one of mine the Old Mac originals fit the best.  I've been using them for about 4 1/2 years now on all 4 of our horses.  We are still on our original boots and they show very little wear and have never come off.  We've had to replace one strap and the local shoe repair place charged $8.  We don't have water in our "water crossings" out here but the sand runs right out the  back of the boot so I don't think water would be an issue.

If your not opposed to used boots you can go to http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/boot_swap.htm and see if what you want is listed.  I got 3 pair there.

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-06-12 5:17 PM (#121088 - in reply to #119258)

Hi,

My horse has used easyboot bares - original and with the easyup buckle. The original is very difficult to get on. Easyup buckles solved that problem but the Bares have no traction in the mud. Last year tried a pair of epics and did not like them. Too heavy and clunky in the toe and negatively affected my horse's gait. This spring we had a pair of Simple Boots to rehab my foundered mare. Great for that but I can't imagine riding in them as she would often over-reach (gaited horse), hit the front hooves with the back, even walking slowly. So now we have easyboot Gloves. Perfect! LOL.. Ok, so maybe not totally perfect. As someone else mentioned you must keep the hoof trimmed or they cease to fit. We've used easyboots for several years and never (yet..) lost a one.. thru deep (very deep!) mud and streams. I'm sure it will happen, but so far even when a buckle would open, the boot stayed on. We "tested" the Gloves last week in fairly deep mud (not on purpose LOL.. wrong choice of trail!). Even the rears stayed on and I was a bit worried about fit. I second that it doesn't save money unless you're one of the lucky ones whose horse can eventually go totally barefoot always. Also to keep in mind is that it's more work than simply having your horse in shoes. I think it's worth it, but it's a consideration.

Mj

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-06-14 10:59 PM (#121158 - in reply to #119258)

Expert

old mac boot work well for riding and turnout
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'