'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Info on Horse Barns

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-14 12:29 PM
4 replies, 4259 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-04-11 8:53 AM (#118689)
Subject: Info on Horse Barns

Veteran

Yes we are building a horse barn, we have compacted dirt down in stalls right now.  We would like to know if you recomend compacted dirt or loose sand under, stall liners or rubber mats which do you prefer on this also liners or mats.  And what kind of bedding do you recomend.

Thank you

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-04-11 1:27 PM (#118695 - in reply to #118689)
Subject: RE: Info on Horse Barns

Extreme Veteran

My barn has been up 10 years.  Before we put the stalls in we layed down 6" of 1/4" limestone with lots of fines in it.  Wet it down with a garen hose and ran a Vibrator over it to smooth and harden it.  I have stall matts only in front of the doors and I use fine wood shavings for bedding.  I do have one mare that likes to paw as she's eating. If I'd known she did this I would have put a matt under her feeder as she has pulled up some material.  The limestone is not as hard as concrete, but allows urine to pass thru what the bedding doesn't soak up.   I wouldn't think sand would be a very good idea.  It's too loose.  Just my 2 cents.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-04-12 9:30 AM (#118719 - in reply to #118689)

Expert

I would always install mats in stalls. It makes cleaning easier,the stalls won't develop holes in the middle...there are different types of mats but we used mats cut to fit. We put down sand and leveled it off the best we could. The horses can do most of the packing. I can use any type of bedding and the stalls are dry and solid. I have two geldings,they tend to pee in the middle of the stall..no holes or muck. For years I had stalls without mats and dealt with the problems...now I wouldn't even think of a stall without them. I use whatever bedding material I can get- sometimes sawdust/shavings and straw. Since we farm and I have easier access to straw, that is what I use..with mats,straw is a good bedding.Without mats, not so much.

Edited by farmbabe 2010-04-12 9:32 AM
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-04-12 11:11 AM (#118723 - in reply to #118689)

Extreme Veteran

I have concrete with rubber mats on top. My floors are angled ever so slightly to allow any urine or water to run out of the back of the stall where there are doors and drains. You can use any bedding over mats and I definitely feel mats are the way to go. My barn is 10 years old and the mats have held up well. I swore I would never have holes in my stalls again. I have been very happy with my barn and would build one like it again. Once a year the hubby pressure washes the whole thing which is nice.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-04-14 12:29 PM (#118808 - in reply to #118689)

Extreme Veteran

I put down a six inch layer of crusher fines in my barn and use shavings for bedding. I keep a pile of crusher fines outside the barn for filling in the holes. Works well for me, as the fines let the urine drain away and my barn is never muddy or smelly.

Marla
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)