'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Leaking Grease Seal and loose brake shoe?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-16 5:11 AM
10 replies, 5303 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

earth2283
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-15 7:12 PM (#117624)
Subject: Leaking Grease Seal and loose brake shoe?

I brought my trailer to Town Faire Tire to have the tires replaced, and the technician told me that my grease seal was leaking and one of my brake shoes was loose. I don't know what a grease seal is...am I going to have to replace the entire axle or can i just have the seal replaced? i noticed some pinkish looking fluid in a ring shape on the wheel cover of my trailer, as if the technician had placed a part covered in the grease on it (but it wasn't black like grease, more like oil). What is this going to cost me to get fixed and can i still use my trailer?? help!!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-03-15 7:41 PM (#117626 - in reply to #117624)
Subject: RE: Leaking Grease Seal and loose brake shoe?

Extreme Veteran

Town Faire is a reputable business.  What did they quote you to repair?  Can you sleep at night with that cost?  If not locate a second opinion.  Maybe a trusted mechanic. 

Your axel weight ratings should be on the VIN tag.  You can call the manufacturer of the trailer and find out what type of axels and hubs along with many other specs to that axel.  Then Google away to get a general idea of your parts costs.

Most everything is repairable and replaceable.  Greese seals and brake shoes are affordable.  No need to think you need a whole new axel.  But be carefull I would not haul my horses before I got a second opinion. 

The technician had to pull your brake drum to inspect your brakes.  He may have remove the grease cap, axle grease can be pink and he may have laid it inside the cap to keep it clean durring the inspection.

Edited by BlazingCreekBar 2010-03-15 7:44 PM
earth2283
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-15 7:44 PM (#117627 - in reply to #117624)

Oh good point about them possibly needing to use a lubricant to get the wheel nut off!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-15 8:04 PM (#117629 - in reply to #117624)

Expert

To pull the brake drum, repack a wheel bearing and install a new grease seal takes about a half an hour. The grease seal is typically < $5. The brake shoe retainers could need replacing or the whole brake shoe assembly and springs may need changing. This will not be evident until the drum is pulled. A complete brake assy can be changed in less than 20 mins once the drum is removed.

As was previously posted, you do not need a new axle. Nor was there any reason for the axle nut to be removed, when pulling the wheels whilst changing the tires.

earth2283
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-15 8:17 PM (#117630 - in reply to #117624)

If the axle nut wasn't needing to be removed, is it possible this person was just giving a fake diagnosis of my trailer? He diiid offer to oh so "generously" offer to fix it for me on the side. Is it possible to tell if a grease seal is broken without removing the axle nut? My trailer tows wonderfully, and i have never felt any problems with it in any manner...brakes feel fine, etc. Is this a problem that would be manifesting itself in some manner or can it be a silent issue?
earth2283
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-15 8:26 PM (#117632 - in reply to #117624)

I will ad that it is an older trailer with some surface rust on the underneath that sat unused for about a year.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-03-15 8:56 PM (#117634 - in reply to #117624)

Expert

The grease seal is on the inside of the brake drum, a location not visible while changing a tire. Normally this area would not be scrutinized during the course of a tire change. When the drum is pulled, a failure would be indicated by a radial display of grease, emanating from the center and spreading to the outer extremes. Any excess grease will be spread on the inside of the drum and brake shoes.

It is possible that when the  mechanic removed the tire and wheel, the brake drum rotated and he heard a shoe dragging inside the drum. The shoes can be adjusted through the backing plate, and properly seated against the drum. If they are adjusted and still make a noise, one or both shoes could have missing or broken retainers, allowing them to lay against the drum.

The mechanic could be on the ball and discovered a legitimate maintenance issue, or he is prescribing unnecessary repairs to enhance his wallet.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-03-16 12:14 AM (#117650 - in reply to #117632)

Expert

Originally written by earth2283 on 2010-03-15 5:26 PM

I will ad that it is an older trailer with some surface rust on the underneath that sat unused for about a year.

Since this is an older trailer that has not been used in a year... You'll be well served to have all 4? wheel bearings repacked and the grease seals replaced.  When the wheel hubs are removed to repack the bearings,  The brakes, bearings, magnets, etc can be inspected and repaired/replaced as required.  That is your best option for safety and reliability.

Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-03-16 12:26 AM (#117651 - in reply to #117624)

Veteran

This may sound dumb but when was the last time you had the wheel bearings packed?  How about the last time the brakes were checked?  These are maintenance issues I have done every spring before I start my long weekend hauls.  You say nothing felt wrong.  I can't take the chance on waiting to "feel" if something goes wrong with my horses on board.  I have gained alot of information on this forum and one thing is to have the yearly inspections done. The technician/mechanic is probably saving you a major headache by pointing out these things now.  The brakes could lock up on you while you are a great distance from home with horses on board.  Think how much that would cost to have your trailer towed and someone to come haul your horses back home.  Think if you lost control of the rig while it happened.  The mechanic may have sensed you didn't want to put alot of money in it and "offered" to do it on the side saving you probably half the cost by paying him cash.  It happens all the time.  That doesn't make him a crook or trying to get over on you.  What you need to look into is getting an annual inspection of your trailer from a qualified mechanic.  Check all the lights, brake box battery, flooring, pull the wheels and check the brakes, wheel bearings, fittings.  It usually costs me $75 - $100 to inspect and pack the bearings.  I'm not trying to get down on you, just trying to make it real that these things have to be done to keep everyone safe.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-03-16 12:59 AM (#117653 - in reply to #117624)

Expert

Since you're looking for information ...  A brake seal is not close to the same thing as a wheel bearing grease seal.  Not $400 worth at least.
earth2283
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-16 5:11 AM (#117658 - in reply to #117624)

Thanks for the info--and I highly doubt the technician sensed I didn't want to spend alot of money on the trailer. I was having all 5 tires replaced at the tune of $700 or $800 and it's presently out getting a paintjob at well over $1000 in addition to the initial costs of buying it and putting it on the road . I am a bit tapped out and sick of spending money on it at THIS point, but not when i was having the tires done ;-). I have only owned the trailer for 2 months or so, and it is my first.

Edited by earth2283 2010-03-16 5:14 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)