'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How do you set up your rear tack compartment?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-10 9:15 PM
6 replies, 8845 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-19 9:25 AM (#116785)
Subject: How do you set up your rear tack compartment?

Regular

My 3 horse gooseneck has the typical rear tack compartment with a moveable 3 saddle rack. And that's all it has. I am in the process of turning my dressing room into a weekend package, so I will never be moving the saddle rack to the front.

Any suggestions on useful ways to set up that rear tack compartment wisely? I have put three of the heavy duty "stick on" hook on the back door for bridles. I have also put two mop/broom holders on the driver's wall of the comparment to keep my fork and lunge whip from topping over all the time. Other than that I'm not sure what to do. I did remove one of the saddle holders since I normally only carry two saddles with me at a time, and then used the bottom portion of the tack compartment to hold my water buckets, and my stepping stool. I would also like to find room to hang my garden hose (need it for bathing horses) and my extension cord, do you think the large "stick it" hooks on the collapsable inside wall would work? The nice thing about these is - you can simply slide the hook off if you ever want to fold up that wall.

What does everyone manage to carry in their tack compartment? I normally keep hay in the front stall, my personal stuff such as boots, clothes, food is in the dressing room. But there is tons of other horse stuff a person needs when they go away for the weekend. I have also used big Rubbermaid tubs for stuff such as lunge lines, saddle pads, extra bit, etc, but the tubs take up a lot of space.

Edited by Cowgirl-h 2010-02-19 9:28 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-19 10:39 AM (#116792 - in reply to #116785)
Subject: RE: How do you set up your rear tack compartment?

Expert

Because floor space is at a premium, we hang as much on the walls as possible. On the rear door we have two rows of bridle hooks; one under the other and staggered so they don't align. We have two brush trays mounted near the bottom of the door slightly above the floor so they don't interfere with stored items.

On one of the tack walls, I installed a strip of spring loaded "C" clips. These hold the handles of manure forks, brooms, shovels etc. Below them is a strip of heavy duty hooks. These hold rolled up extension and shore cords, garden hoses and the like that are secured with straps.

On one wall is a purchased unit that looks like a closet shoe storage unit. It consists of multiple pockets of varying sizes that hold a multitude of necessities. It hangs from the top and can be easily removed if necessary.

We use plastic storage containers that have wheels on one end and a handle on the other. They are used like airport luggage, and are stacked upon one another, under the bottom saddle rack.

Our front stall carries all the bulky items, hay, folding wheel barrow, grain etc

Edited by gard 2010-02-19 10:40 AM
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-02-19 11:10 AM (#116796 - in reply to #116785)

Regular

My trailer came with hooks on the door, so that is where the strappy tack goes - bridles, girths, breastcollars. I keep extra pads and my saddlebags on the top saddle rack. A rake, small shovel, and broom are crammed into the corner back of the saddles. I bought a coiled hose like these http://www.nextag.com/coiled-garden-hose/search-html- 25 feet of hose curled up into a two-foot length - and slip it over the broom handle. The floor space holds a half-bag of shavings and various buckets. I nest the buckets with the clean water buckets inside the dirty muck buckets (we give the muck buckets a rinse 'n wipe before we pack up). Rubber feed pans get crammed into the top water bucket. There's usually room left on the floor for dirty boots and such.

The rest of our non-stinky horse stuff goes in the DR.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-19 12:08 PM (#116799 - in reply to #116785)

Elite Veteran

similar to other replies

trailer came with 6 long bridle hooks on the wall behind the saddles (swing out rack) so I keep stuff I don't need as often back there - rolled flat hose (buy at Wal-Mart), tree savers, extra halters, leads, tie-out rope, hay bags, etc  

I bought 8 more longer portable hooks to hang the bridles, halters, leads, hay bag, girths, cantle bag, etc I use all the time. I like to carry extra items as you never know when you or a friend will need something.

I added 2 more brush trays on the swing out door (total of 3 long ones) and they are packed full of brushes, fly spray, hoof pick & file, hoof boots, various meds, shampoos, fence charger, 1st aid kit, etc  The brush trays are placed high on the door so they don't interfere with stuff on the floor.  The key is to get as much as you can off the floor as stated by others.  

2 saddle racks, but I only bring one saddle, so the other one has 2-3 saddle pads and pommel packs on it.

Floor area has 3-4 fold up chairs wedged in the back V, trailer aid, folding step stool, buckets (2 large & 3 small), feed pan, 6 gallon water container, and then rake & broom.  It's crowded, but it all fits and I make sure to keep it neat.

I want to install the things that hold the rake & broom in place.

JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-03-10 5:10 PM (#117437 - in reply to #116785)

have any of you hung a Hanging Grooming Case on the oposite door from the back tack(door the horses go in)

I'm looking at a trailer that has only rear tack and the bridle hooks are on the door of the tack so I can't hang a groom case on it.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-03-10 9:03 PM (#117443 - in reply to #116785)

Expert

Our rear tack has a great deal of things hung up, 2 rows of bridle hooks on back door, hooks on top of collapsible wall (interior where tack area is) a long tack door organizer hung on the inside wall of the long wall.  3 saddles on racks, brush tray is not on the door, but on the inside of the collapsible wall, as there is also a generator within an aluminum insulated cabinet, on the floor, and on top of it is an 110v air compressor.  I hang a collapsible wheelbarrow in there up high on the collapsible wall, and the manure fork and rakes are behind the saddle rack post....we make the most of all that area, but we also have quite a bit of manger storage on the left side of the slant trailer.
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-10 9:15 PM (#117447 - in reply to #117443)

Veteran

I have to say..one very surprising feature to the trailer I purchased was the storage area on the side under the feed bunks ..WOW, can I get alot of stuff in there...garden hose, lawn chairs, the outdoor carpet, maunure fork, titki torches, broom, and I have room for more...  :)  I use to have to put all the "camping gear" in totes and keep them in the 3 stall..which was a major pain..draggin it all out and then having to pack it all up and haul it back in..This was the old trailer..Now I have more storage/ room than I know what to do with... translation= HAPPY CAMPER !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)