'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Training

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-20 12:02 PM
12 replies, 5470 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-18 9:31 PM (#116772)
Subject: Training

Veteran

I took the second trip out of the correl today on my three yr old TWHBEA gelding. I raised him from birth. He has been ponied a bunch, saddled him since he was a few months old, had him ground driving at 6 months, sent him for 30 days broke to pull a cart as a yearling. He is very laid back and trust me never even tried to buck yet. I used to train alot but have only trained (from scratch) three horses since I had kids 17 years ago and am looking for opinions. Here is my example: Today was only the second time down the driveway the first time I just took him out the gait and back today we went 50 yards past the gate he was walking calm and then a rabbit went hop, hop hop into the pines and it rattled him. He didn't do anything at first but then got all tense and wanted to go back to the barn. I made the decision in a split second to let him turn around and he kinda tried to take off but with a little tug on the bosal he calmed himself in about 20 yards and then walked on a loose rein back to the barn. I immediately got some alfalfa cubes and lead him back to the spot where the rabbit jumped into the pines, he was tense and did not want to approch the spot but followed me on a long lead, I then fed him the cubes and walked him past the spot a few times, he didn't seem so scared nere it. His dam is a GREAT trail horse and I remember when I was breaking her my kids were 4 and 7 and I couldn't risk getting hurt because I live on a dead end road if I got hurt nobody would be home to take care of them so I never really pushed her and she turned out wonderful, but in my past I would have never let a baby turn back. Just for the sake of discussion What would you have done?

Edited by gliderider 2010-02-18 9:35 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-19 8:26 AM (#116780 - in reply to #116772)
Subject: RE: Training

Elite Veteran

Call me a weenie but first thing is I hope you had a helmet on. The second thing I'd have done (and I don't know your horse) is I'd have used that energy he used to turn around and trotted him in circles both ways in the same area bringing him ever closer to his spook spot. When he relaxes in one area just widen the circle and bring him closer. If all you do that day is get a relaxed trot circle both directions in the spot he spooked, then fine, he's done. It would be even better if you got him to walk several yards past where the rabbit was and then turn around and walk slowly back to the barn. Good luck!

ETA: Prepare to spend whatever time it takes. I had a mare last year who suddenly decided that walking past the neighbor's house to her pasture gate was terrifying. I probably spent an hour and a half with her. She would back up rather than go forward, I'd push her forward and circle her until she relaxed, then we'd get a couple feet farther, same scenario. We DID make it to the gate, then turned around and continued the routine until she was calm back to the barn.

Edited by terri s 2010-02-19 8:29 AM
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-19 12:53 PM (#116801 - in reply to #116772)

Veteran

Good Reminder to others Yes, I had a helmet on I only started using them 20 years ago and the first time I had on a helmet I got pitched, one of those horses that seemed so ready I never expected it jumped before I got my leg all the way over anyway I actually I fell so as it dented the bottom of the back of the helmet. I don't gait (trot) my walkers for at least a year after I start riding them. I only allow a flat walk. It takes me a couple years to finish a horse, (I used to do dressage) I have changed alot about my training habbits over the years. I used to lunge the crap out of them but now I take them out of the pasture -stall maybee do some stretches and expect them to remain as calm as they were when I got them. I feel by not asking them to "run" a fear reflex it keeps their tiny minds in the calm mode. Also I didn't write in the post we have a couple feet of snow and the driveway is not good footing for a fight. In the past I would have made the horse face the fear. But years ago at a Dave Seay clinic he talked about not making a big deal out of things.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-02-19 4:39 PM (#116814 - in reply to #116772)

Sounds to me like you did the right thing; you know your horse and yourself.....

when we were in TN we would let the horses go back to the barn, then ride them thru and out the other side and around until they figured out that going back to the barn wasn't going to get them what they wanted.....

Edited by rose 2010-02-19 4:49 PM
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-02-20 7:58 AM (#116827 - in reply to #116780)

I agree with this post, even if you dont want him to trot, walk circles in that spot and work on softening or something to take get his concentration back on you. Im not sure I would "treat" him by going back to the barn and definately not with anything to eat. Just soften him and give him a job to do. 

Relax, you did fine.

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-02-20 12:10 PM (#116828 - in reply to #116801)

Veteran

Gliderider - I was interested to read in your post about flat walking for your horses in training. I have been reading Lee Zeigler's book Easy Gaited Horses. She stresses the importance of the flat walk in preparing the horse for "gaiting" later on. You must have a boatload of patience to ride at a flat walk for a year.

I agree with how you handled the situation.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-20 12:57 PM (#116829 - in reply to #116772)

Veteran

I agree that going back to the barn was not an ideal thing but He didn't get to stay back at the barn. He was given the treat back at the spot that the stupid rabbit jumped in the pines. And then he got ponied for 45 minute trail ride. I am just wondering if anybody else has used this method of training with a baby first handfull of times out, of not maiking an issue out of "scary spots" and what your results were? I have two other horses that I do all my go-fast on (one is for sale) so it isn't hard to just walk one for a year. I broke his dam by walking her for a year and she has the nicest relaxed lope I did make her canter and move out at a faster gait in the arena once and a while.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-20 3:59 PM (#116832 - in reply to #116772)

Elite Veteran

I agree fully, don't make an issue of it. Didn't mean for the circles to sound that way. Just a way for you to be in control and them to get used to going by things that had spooked them. And you said you had wet, slick surfaces. Always better to have your discussions on safe ground if possible.
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-02-21 8:49 AM (#116847 - in reply to #116772)

Yes, I use this method of not making a big deal out of scary spots, but that applies to every new horse that I ride, not just babies.  Alot if the problem horses (not that yours is) I see have had their issues reinforced by people panicing (not that you did)  when the horse gets excited during a ride instead of remaining relaxed and calming the horse. 

In your example, I would have started circling him at the spot, 20 feet, that he softened to the bosal. My concern with letting him go all the way to the barn would be that the next time he might not soften until he gets there.   I am not advising you to push them into a spot that scares them, that is why I use circles. Get close to the scary spot and then move away from it, they are working on something (giving to pressure) instead of concentrating on that spot.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-02-21 11:27 AM (#116851 - in reply to #116772)

Veteran

I rode him yesterday and he didn't even bat an eye at the spot. Matter of fact when I got him to the end of the drive and turned him tward home he needed to be circled to get him going in that direction. You just never know with babies. I have worked with so many pin heads but these walkers I have are so level headed, guess I am stuck in the past when most horses would have an issue at a same spot evey time you went by it. I am only 51 but started using the don't make an issue out of things about 10 years ago, it really does seem to be working for me.
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-02-21 5:07 PM (#116864 - in reply to #116772)

Glad to hear that he rode well for you.
PasoFinoZZZ
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 11:57 AM (#123854 - in reply to #116772)

I've got a TWH filly that i worked with when she was young. I started her on lead line at 2 months old. I also took her on long walks in the woods about everyday, and exposed her to everything. Now, nothing scares her. If I were you, I would have made the colt keep going. If he wasn't bucking or trying to run away, he might think that it is ok to go back to the barn when he gets spooked. Or you could have made him go in circles until he calmed down, and then made him go on down the road. Talk calm, pet him, and DON'T GET SCARED. He will sense it and go to pieces. If one of my horses is spooked by something, I stay on and make them go past whatever it is. If you let him get away with going to the barn he will try it everytime he gets scared of course if your in danger, take him in circles.
PasoFinoZZZ
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-20 12:02 PM (#123855 - in reply to #116851)

My father trained Walkers for years, and all of his horses were right on the money, not dead heads, but had some spunk. I watched him train some of his horses, and its like you say, every horse is different, but Walkers are pretty level headed, and smart, but some can be stupid. Sounds like you know what your doing. Keep it up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)