'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how old? Living Quarters Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-01 11:49 AM
7 replies, 3525 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-30 9:06 PM (#115939)
Subject: how old? Living Quarters Trailers

When looking for used living quarters trailers how old is to old?
I've found a few from mid to late 90's but I worry they'll have more problems then one that was a little newer?

also are there some brands to stay away from?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-31 11:46 AM (#115958 - in reply to #115939)
Subject: RE: how old? Living Quarters Trailers

67 veiws and no one has any advice?

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-31 12:30 PM (#115959 - in reply to #115939)

Expert

I don't think age is an issue as much as how well it was built, how well it has been taken care of and how much use it's had.

A 15 year old trailer that is used by single lady to attend 3-4 horse shows a year and never leaves the pavement will be in much better shape, that a 5 year old LQ that several cowboys drug to the end of BLM dirt road every week of the summer to herd cows out of.

You will have to look at each trailer individually and access each of the points that are important to you. Yes a 15 year old appliance may die on you because of age not use.  But it's easy to replace a fridge or water heater.  If the cabinets have been shaken apart and the roof leaks, Thats a lot more work.

I've attended Endurance races and see all kinds of LQ show up. Some I wonder how they make it down the road. but the folks using them are glad to have a warm bed and other amenities instead of using a tent.  Look at your own budget and decide what you can afford and then evaluate the trailers you can find with in that budget.  I personally would be more concerned about being able to SEE the trailer regardless of age than buying something unseen that was newer.

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-01-31 12:33 PM
JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-31 12:45 PM (#115961 - in reply to #115959)

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2010-01-31 11:30 AM

I don't think age is an issue as much as how well it was built, how well it has been taken care of and how much use it's had.

A 15 year old trailer that is used by single lady to attend 3-4 horse shows a year and never leaves the pavement will be in much better shape, that a 5 year old LQ that several cowboys drug to the end of BLM dirt road every week of the summer to herd cows out of.

You will have to look at each trailer individually and access each of the points that are important to you. Yes a 15 year old appliance may die on you because of age not use.  But it's easy to replace a fridge or water heater.  If the cabinets have been shaken apart and the roof leaks, Thats a lot more work.

I've attended Endurance races and see all kinds of LQ show up. Some I wonder how they make it down the road. but the folks using them are glad to have a warm bed and other amenities instead of using a tent.  Look at your own budget and decide what you can afford and then evaluate the trailers you can find with in that budget.  I personally would be more concerned about being able to SEE the trailer regardless of age than buying something unseen that was newer.

Thank you!

I agree if it's built well age should not matter, I look on HTW daily to see what I can find, quite a few are out of state, I'm assuming a trailer in Arizona would be in a little better shape than on in Utah just cuz of the difference in weather?

I am just shopping but I am hoping to find a diamond in the rough and get a killer deal, but I also want something that isn't going to fall apart around me!

Thanks again

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-01-31 6:12 PM (#115974 - in reply to #115939)

Veteran

We bought a 1999 Elite last year and no one believes it's 10 years old.

The previous owners obviously took very good care of it

JcNhEmI
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-01-31 8:50 PM (#115979 - in reply to #115974)

Originally written by ClaudiaIN on 2010-01-31 5:12 PM

We bought a 1999 Elite last year and no one believes it's 10 years old.

The previous owners obviously took very good care of it

After looking thur HTW I have decided that 4stars and elites look the best even if they are a little older.

seem to be very very well build trailer.  and amazingly some are in my price range of what I wanna spend!

brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-01 9:19 AM (#115999 - in reply to #115939)

Veteran

Another thing to consider is what you going to spend on older trailer compared to a newer one, but also what is that older trailer going to be worth when you go to get rid of it. If its mid to late 90's now which isn't that old, but than you have it for a few years its already 15 years old and not worth much when you go to get rid of it. Just something to consider when buying, I've been in the same predicament.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-01 11:49 AM (#116008 - in reply to #115939)

Expert

If you look at the used trailers for sale, you'll notice that the good all aluminum trailers, will loose a little less than half of their value over the first ten years of ownership. Then, depending on the condition, the value will only slightly further decrease. The percentage of devaluation is usually less in the second decade. Because of inflation, many owners have sold their used aluminum trailers at prices near to their purchase prices.

I would buy a name brand all aluminum trailer fifteen years old, if it had the features I need. If the trailer is in good shape, its construction and fittings are a proven commodity, something you don't know with a new trailer purchase. With a LQ that old, you have to plan on at least one of the appliances needing repairs or replacement. The large amount of money you saved on the purchase price, will easily offset any subsequent repairs.

My present two trailers were purchased used. I saved a great deal of money and have had no maintenance issues. Only because I can't find a used example for my next trailer, will I will be ordering a new one.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)