'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling issues

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-18 12:32 AM
24 replies, 10666 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

emkjohnson
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-10 10:26 AM (#115084)
Subject: Hauling issues

New User

I have a gelding that loads and unloads just fine, but "jiggs", or "dances" everytime we come to a stop while being hauled. He doesn't paw unless we make long hauls and stop for long periods of time. He jiggs with or without another horse being hauled with him. I take him on short trips and long trips either way it's the same. He used to work him self up and be soaking wet when we arrived, but now he is usually warm but not totally nerved as before. He has never been in a trailering accident that I have known of, I bought him as a 2 year old, he is now 11. Any suggestions would be great.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-01-10 12:16 PM (#115090 - in reply to #115084)
Subject: RE: Hauling issues

Extreme Veteran

Teach him to hobble, then hobble him in the trailer.
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2010-01-10 2:58 PM (#115098 - in reply to #115084)

Regular

Do you put a hay bag up for him when you travel?
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-01-10 4:13 PM (#115099 - in reply to #115090)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2010-01-10 12:16 PM

Teach him to hobble, then hobble him in the trailer.

That sound dangerous to me. I want my horse to feel comfortable and have control of there feet especially in something that moves. Don't want them off balance with there legs to close together and fall. Anyway my guess is he would hop around instead of dance.

I would do work at home. Put him in the trailer to feed him daily. Sounds like he just needs to learn a little patience. Do you tie him up for long periods at home? If not I would start with that also. Alot of horses get anxious standing in a trailer when not moving.

gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-01-10 4:53 PM (#115100 - in reply to #115084)

Veteran

I agree with Vetren, your gelding is nervous.  Taking away his feet would be the last thing that will help him feel comfortable.  My idea is "there are no perfect horses, if you find one you like you may have to let them have a bad habbit or two"  as long as the bad habbit isn't a safety issue. How is he when you take him out of the trailer? Will he stand with calm feet tied to the trailer?  Are you worried about colic or him getting shipping respiratory complications from being hot? I would feed him in the trailer every day for a month or two.  I always put hay in front of my horses when I haul short or long. Most of my friends don't but I do.  I am not totally shooting down the hobble idea.  If a horse was really, really bad to the point of jepordizing the trailer floor there are times for drastic measures to get from point A to point B. but your case doens't sound like one of those.
emkjohnson
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-10 5:23 PM (#115101 - in reply to #115084)

New User

I don't feed him in the trailer anymore, he didn't seem to eat. I'll give that a try. I have thought of hobbling but that makes me nervous..........He is not dangerous and doesn't tear up the trailer (possibly the shocks on the trailer because it's always bouncing):) It's just a vice that I can't seem to break. I have tried leaving him in trailer for an hour or two at a time at home, and he is fine it's the stop and go on the road. Once we get somewhere he ties fine to the trailer. Thanks for all the suggestions.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-01-10 5:57 PM (#115102 - in reply to #115084)

Extreme Veteran

The idea of teaching him to hobble is to teach him to stand still. When I say teach him to hobble, I mean stand still hobbled. If he learns he must stand still while hobbled, he'll also stand still in the trailer.

Works very well, we've had several we hobble like this.

I thought it went without saying, they have to be taught to hobble first.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 10:14 AM (#115120 - in reply to #115084)

Extreme Veteran

I'm a trainer and my first thought is why is this horse nervous with the hauling aspect ?  He is obviously a nice horse if he loads and unloads well despite having anxiety about hauling. This definately would want me to investigate what is making him haul badly. I have a friend that hobbles her horse's hind legs on the ride home as he impatiently kicks the trailer, only on the return trip. But hobbling doesnt at this point sound like the answer for this horse. Sounds like he is loosing his balance and that is causing anxiety. What size horse is he and what type of trailer are you hauling him in ? What type of dividers ? Mangers or not ? You might fix the problem by hauling him in a different spot in the trailer, or turning him a different direction. Perhaps putting in padding, or bedding the trailer deeply in shavings. How tall is the horse and how tall is the trailer ?  Are you leaving him loose or tying him ? How short do you tie him ? I think you need to ask and answer questions like these to look for the reason for his hauling anxiety. Perhaps he needs a window open in front of him to see out. Or perhaps seeing out makes him nervous, the passing traffic. Maybe something in your trailer rattles constantly and this upsets him. You could try riding in the trailer down a long drive or around a parking lot or secluded back road to see if there is a rattle or how the trailer feels stopping and starting. Maybe then ride with him and see if you can pinpoint something. Also look at your driving habits. Perhaps with him you need to take off slower and stop easier.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-01-11 11:54 AM (#115123 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

CT is absolutely heading down the right road for 95% of trailering issues, but in this case the problem occurs when the trailer is stationary and my first show horse was the same way.  In our case he just hated standing around inside the trailer, he'd rather have been moving down the road.

I would look at your ventilation, or lack there of, in the trailer.  When trailers are stationary they have really poor air circulation, which some horses feel like they are trapped in a large box.  Opening all the roof vents, windows or drop down doors and the top rear door, etc. may let air move around and give your horse the feeling of openness.  Give this a try and see how things turn out.

I always hay horses while hauling, it can keep them from being destructive and also helps to keep nervous stomach acids in check, avoiding ulcers.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-12 9:42 AM (#115153 - in reply to #115084)

Extreme Veteran

Huntseat I was going by her saying she can load the horse at home and leave him standing just fine. Its the hauling (go-stop-go) that causes the anxiety behavior when she is stopped. Perhaps I misunderstood what she was saying ? If I am correct and he starts the problem in route then that leads me to believe the issue is with movement. Also I believe she said she has had the horse for years. So is this a behavior that has recently started or simply escalated ? Have you changed trailers ? Cant really give advice without answers to alot of questions, but it would appear to me a comfort related issue. You are definately right in opening the ventilation, even when it is cold. Horses do not require the same warmth comfort level that we do and I think they are often hot in trailers, even when its cold outside. I got an Arab/ASB gelding a little over a year ago. He was 9 and loaded fine but hadnt been hauled much. He had anxiety issues when the trailer was moving and would arrive sweaty and nervous. Lots of trailer miles in a comfortable trailer with good driving habits and he trailers fine now. Matter of fact last month I hauled him 300 miles one way to a competition.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-01-12 10:03 AM (#115159 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

CT, it could be me that read the problem wrong also.

The advice about riding around inside the trailer was VERY sound.  Thick shavings can be a must for geldings that need to pee in addition to really nice mats that can save a horses legs/feet.

Some horses just need to look around, does your horse have good visibility?  Some horses like the lights on or off while hauling at night.  You can also play the radio in your trailer to help calm a nervous horse.

What works for this horse is going to take some trial and error, there isn't a quick way to go about troubleshooting these problems...unless you medicate, which has it's own pros and cons.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-01-12 10:40 AM (#115160 - in reply to #115084)

Elite Veteran

My wife's horse was jiggy like that when we hauled her. Could never figure it out. When we traded trailers the jiggys stopped. New trailer has jail bars in the dividers and she can see in all directions. My guess is that the fight or flight was so strong and she just didn't know what was beside or behind her.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-12 11:14 AM (#115163 - in reply to #115084)

Extreme Veteran

Exactly right HS and GB. My Paint mare is 15.3 and long. She rides in the rear slant because its bigger. She hates the middle slant which is smaller due to trailer mangers. However the Arab/Saddlebred is the same size as her and he rides much better in the smaller stall. Just differences in horses. Some are more sensitive to things also. Try standing in the bed of a truck down a bumpy dirt road. Your shins will hurt from the concussion. Now imagine what your horse feels in the trailer. Thats why you wrap legs, to dissipate the consussion off the cannon bones. Thats also why you bed with thick mats and shavings. Also they dissipate the heat that comes up from the road in summer and prevent slipping and sliding while in motion. I had to wrap the snaps on my trailer ties where they snap to the tie ring above the manger. They clanged against the trailer wall. Imagine riding 300 miles with something clanging right beside your ear. Sometimes the way to cure a vice is to step into the horse's world and look at it from his point of view. I haul my horses lots of miles and ride them lots of miles and expect alot out of them. But like me they get cold, hot, tired, hungry, thirsty, and irritated. Its my job to see that these needs are met for them in exchange for what they do for me. With that said, I do expect my horses to be well mannered and well trained. I do discipline them if needed. But first I must rule out the cause of the infraction before I deal out discipline in any form.  Physically or chemically restraining a horse to force him to cope with a situation is unfair until you have ruled out any underlying issues and determied it is simply bad behavior and bad manners on his part.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-12 3:43 PM (#115166 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

Horses are human are different. They have four much larger and longer legs and we have two. They balance on four legs, we balance on two. Our nutritional needs are different, what we can stand for cold and heat are also very different so we cannot compare our comfort level to that of a horse. Some horses have developed bad habits both in a stall and in a trailer. Unless the horse is causing harm to itself or the trailer, there are just somethings we have to live with. Its sounds as if he gets nervous like he is anticipating unloading when the trailer comes to a stop.If he used to work himself up " and be soaking wet" and now is just "warm and not totally nerved" I'd have to think he is getting better not worse.
emkjohnson
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-22 2:32 PM (#115598 - in reply to #115084)

New User

I like the idea of thick bedding in the trailer, I will try that, I have had a few different trailers since I have owned him, all have been slant forward facing, no mangers, the dividers have padding and ventilation is good. I leave the windows down in summer and vents only open in winter. I have hauled him in the front and in the back. He is a little AQHA about 15 hands 1000 lbs. Like I stated before I have had him for 9 years now, I believe I'm a good driver the other horses I haul do just fine. He loads and unloads perfectly, it's once we get going and then stop and go at lights or stop signs, long hauls on the freeway, you don't even feel him back there. I wouldn't want to haul him untied, because I don't want him to try to turn around or get underneath another divider. I appreciate everyone's input and have considered them all. I will try a few techniques and see how they work for both of us.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-26 12:28 PM (#115738 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

I don't tie my horses while hauling and they never tried to turn around or go under. They simply can't do either. The horses would have to be very small, like poines, in order to crawl under the dividers. Both my horses- arabians- are smaller than 15 hands.

Edited by farmbabe 2010-01-26 12:29 PM
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-26 10:00 PM (#115754 - in reply to #115738)

Veteran

Your horses sound very sensible. I've found that horses can get into messes that defy our imagination. Under dividers, over dividers, through windows, into mangers, etc.

I witnessed a horse I'd just sold flip himself upside down into the empty stall next to him. He was in a straight load bumper pull with mangers. I think he must have decided he was leaving and been able to get his front feet in the manger. Fortunately he was not hurt. He had to have been the most stubborn horse I have ever met - thus the sale.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-01-26 11:13 PM (#115758 - in reply to #115084)

Elite Veteran

We borrowed a 2H bumper pull one time to pick up a horse we bought 5 hours away. She loaded great and the seller told us he never tied her in the trailer, so against my better judgement we didn't. Went in the house to get the registration papers, and drove to town about 5 miles. Stopped for a can of pop, checked her and she had her head down in front of the manger, tail hard against the butt bar, wheezing and foam coming out of her nose. Worked for 1/2 hour to get the butt bar unhooked so she could get her head up and breathe.

Also had a yearling, that I thought my wife had tied, rear up and spin 180 degrees in the slant stall while going down the road 70 mph. Horses can and will do things we could never imagine. Mine are tied ALL the time now. Double and triple check just like hooking up the trailer.

luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2010-01-26 11:46 PM (#115759 - in reply to #115084)

Have no idea how this happened but got tell my story.....Was coming home from a vet clinic up in WI with one of my horses and my Dad and I came upon a lady and a couple of cops trying to catch the gal's horse....We pulled over so I could get out and try and help them catch this horse....Got my bucket of treats out of the trailer and within a few minutes had the horse caught...Here's the story the gal gave me after we caught the horse....She was on her way to the trainer's when someone motioned for her to pull over, which she did....Apparently her horse got turned around in the her trailer, which was a gooseneck 2 horse straight load, and jumped out the back while the trailer was moving... My Dad and I thought he got out of a pasture nearby...The horse wasn't hurt but was scratched up pretty good...We loaded him onto my trailer and hauled him back to her place for her cuz she was afraid he was gonna jump out again...I have a full back door on my trailer and her was half door....He was tied up in trailer but it must not have been a very good tie job or knot....Something that happened to me when I hauled my now coming 8 yr. old half arab pinto mare to the trainer's alone, she got the first stall divider lifted out of place in the trailer...When I got to the trainer's, it was laying half underneath my mare and she was standing as quiet as can be...She must have went down in the trailer a few times cuz she had manure all over her right side...I stopped once and checked her and she was okay but didn't stop again cuz we only went 20 miles...Now I check alot more no matter how far I drive....I never heard or felt her go down....I pay alot more attention now when I pull my trailer....
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-27 5:16 AM (#115761 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

Then there are the millions of horses that don't do anything stupid. If a horse wants to do something they probably will no matter what you do. The point is- horses can be hauled safely without tying them up. Some even appreciate the ability of lower their heads while hauling. Some even realx more when they aren't confined by tying them..some do better. Its not always a one way street.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-27 9:13 AM (#115771 - in reply to #115759)

Extreme Veteran

I always tie my horses as well. I have hauled in stock trailers, straight  loads and slants with and without mangers. Once I felt my trailer rocking and I stopped and my stallion had gotten untied and was reaching over the slant divider biting my gelding. He took some good chunks out of  his rump. So now I use snaps/trailer ties instead of tied lead ropes. I have seen horses try and turn around or go under a divider and get stuck. Have also seen the issue where they get their head down and then cant get it back up, so mine all get tied but loose enough they can lower it about to their chest no matter what type trailer. Some horses ride better in certain configurements like what we were talking about that prompted this thread, but a certain amount of trailer hauling involves training. We haul hundreds of miles to compete so our horses have to haul well. Its not like an occasional trip to the vet. Everyone has their opinions but I personally believe its safer to train the horse to haul tied, and to tie them no matter what the trailer type. With that said I have on occasion hauled one loose. But to do this in a trailer with dividers or a half door in the rear I would make sure the horse was well trained to travel. just my .02.

mollyjoe
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-16 10:31 PM (#117706 - in reply to #115084)

Try some of those ideas. If it does not work try some calming paste 1/2 hour or so before you load up. See what that does.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-03-17 9:19 AM (#117721 - in reply to #115084)

Extreme Veteran

quote "try some calming paste 1/2 hour or so before you load up"

I'd be very careful with this, calming paste is a tranquilizer. Your liable to have them try and go down in the trailer.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-03-17 8:06 PM (#117743 - in reply to #115084)

Expert

Unless you over dose them a calming paste will not put them out.
mollyjoe
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-18 12:32 AM (#117753 - in reply to #115084)

I have used this and it does work. You only give what it says to give. There are many kinds out there that will not cause drowsiness. You just have to find the right one for your horse that works the best. I have know some W/P people have used this on there horses when they travel. Use some and see how your horse reacts to it first if you are leary of it before you travel with him.

Edited by mollyjoe 2010-03-18 12:35 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)