'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Weanling Diet Question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-06 7:06 PM
15 replies, 7509 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-11-16 8:27 AM (#113220)
Subject: Weanling Diet Question

Veteran

Well, the owner of my foster project (see end of thread on "weanling or wait" post) said "look how nice n fat she is!"  Well, she's actually just a bloated  rack of bones.  I'm in central IL and winter is coming on fast.  I don't have time to play with diets, I need to get her on something that's gonna work for her NOW.  Of course start her into it gradually... He had not grained this weanling, and she was very ill when he got her from a sale.  She underwent several rounds of antibiotics and vaccinations....but it has left her very depleted.  Her skin is flakey and full of crud.  I have never felt the spine in a horse's neck, but I can feel it on this one.  She's just gross! She has supposedly been wormed, but I'm afraid to do anything more like that to her for fear of overdoin' it and killing her!  What's best, throw her out on the grass (which is still pretty green) feed her grass hay, or more alfalfa mix type?  Should I supplement fat? Corn oil? Calf manna?  I don't really know what to do....I'm going to call purina nutrition line and my vet to see if they have any ideas.  When I had youngsters in the past I just gave them some Jr. feed and pasture and they were fine....however they didn't have near brushes with death and illness and they were routinely cared for.  She just can't consume enough to grow, heal, AND build weight.  I thought I heard somewhere that supplementing fat in a young horse's diet isn't advisable perhaps something with the calcium/phos ratio or absorbtion?....I don't see any other option here though... Ideas? Thoughts....and don't say "you made a mistake!"  She's already in a much better mindset today.  She actually pointed the correct end of herself at me when I approached.  I'm giving her just a tiny amount of omolene 200 in a lil bucket right now....I've been holding the bucket and petting all over her...then leaving.   Its working better than what was done previously....chase her around till she could be cornered and doctored. 

Amanda

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-11-16 10:47 PM (#113260 - in reply to #113220)
Subject: RE: Weanling Diet Question

Extreme Veteran

Start with a soft leafy alflafa, and I would switch to a omolene 100 because higher energy diets can cause DOD, you can feed fat but stay less than 3%, Daily intake of all feed should be at a rate of 1.5% to 3% of body wt, Feed an extra 10% to 20% hay for every 10 degrees below 30. Divide feed into multiple feeding, Vitamins ,minerals and fresh water, You are playing catch up and progress will be slow, feed by weight not by volume, If the horse is fussing about eating you may have to experiment some. talk to a good nutrionist good luck

Edited by hconley 2009-11-16 10:49 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-11-16 11:54 PM (#113261 - in reply to #113220)

Elite Veteran

I have a TWH mare that I purchased in Jan'09.  She was very thin... NMRider recommended something called DAC oil.. It put bloom back into Eve's coat and added weight fast... Of Course there is no substitute for a good diet, but this oil is a quick pick-me-up.

Edited by ridingarocky 2009-11-16 11:55 PM
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-11-17 10:31 AM (#113278 - in reply to #113220)

Elite Veteran

DAC has a number of fine products; like it for my broodmares as well as my jr. horses. In addition, you might consider a probiotic for this horse.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-11-17 1:13 PM (#113282 - in reply to #113220)

Extreme Veteran

Yep, I would definately go with a probiotic for this horse. Calf manna is my favorite supplement, but start out slowly.

Marla
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-11-17 2:31 PM (#113287 - in reply to #113220)

Veteran

Calf manna would be more appropriate for a weanling...its meant for baby cows, right? I heard that the fat supplements should be avoided because of some imbalance with calcium/phos ratio. Calf manna would probably be fairly safe, I'd think. I just have to be real careful with this fragile little one.....
Amanda
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-11-17 3:48 PM (#113294 - in reply to #113287)

Expert

all of our foals received a youth feed up to age two,we did feed Nutrena Youth but we switched to all Purina feeds and fed their Junior feed with good results.Both our 2 and 3 yr old are really stout healthy horses,we had a young gelding that we had pasture boarded one winter and did not do the same for him,and,we remember the difference that it makes since we have done this.
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-11-17 6:36 PM (#113309 - in reply to #113287)

Regular

In feeding weanlings there are lots of things to consider. Genetics, feed, etc. Calf Manna is not just for cows you can feed it to horses too. I have had a few weanlings/yearling develop epiphysitis, and the last two years no problem. Alfalfa is high in Calcium and low in phosphorus. I have used DAC oil for the past two years feeding it to weanlings/yearling with no problems. Its just a high fat content that adds extra energy without the grain high. Also with winter coming the weanlings winter coat will be deceiving making them look bigger than they really are. Con't to work and getting your hands on her and feel her size not just by look. The DAC oil will also help tremendously with coat condition. I have a weanling right now that has that pot belly look, but its just a awkward phase/look for her now. I'm feeding her alfalfa hay 4 lbs and 1.5 lbs of bermuda pellets a feeding, changing it to a half/half measurement. 1 lb Patriot feed, top dress with 1 oz DAC Oil. My choice would be DAC oil over the Calf Manna.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-11-18 7:41 AM (#113335 - in reply to #113220)

Extreme Veteran

You say you are afraid to worm her again, but you need to be sure she is not infested or all your feed, hay, and hard work will be for nothing.  Take a fecal sample to your vet and have it analysed, then speak with the vet about the proper worm routine.  You may need to dose her over a period of time, but many vets are recommending daily feed through wormers these days.  You add this as a supplement to the daily feed ration to get any parasite infestations under control.  You can't ignore this aspect of the youngster's health and expect her to develop properly.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-11-18 11:23 AM (#113355 - in reply to #113220)

Expert

Another thought about hay- stemmy hay can result in a pot belly appearance while soft leafy hay does not. try to find some and feed free choice. Oil supplements are good since they do add the fay without pushing large amounts of grain which has its own set of problems. you cannot do this quickly- it does take time. Add the good hay, add some oil to grain( i'd stick to a weanling/jr horse formulation), give her fresh air and a place to play. Consulting with purina might be a better idea than your vet. Sometime, vets aren't as knowlegeable as a feed company.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-26 12:13 PM (#113659 - in reply to #113220)

Veteran

If you put a wormy animal out in your pasture  / pens you will contaminat your ground.    Have a fecal sample done it will save you money in the long run. Keep the "skinny" animal in a place where you can dispose of the worm egg investid poo.  (that means don't be lazy pick it up daily) Stay away from whole corn / corn products.  (you can read a ton about how bad unprocessed corn is for horses on the internet) First and formost work with weanling while it is still in a weak condition. (always nice to have an edge
LoriA63
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-11-28 6:24 PM (#113705 - in reply to #113220)

The most important thing to growing babies is the calcium/phosphorus ratio. I would put her on Buckeye Grow-N-Win and free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay. Only AFTER a good de-worming, as well as a bath if possible...:)
LoriA63
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-11-28 6:25 PM (#113706 - in reply to #113220)

The most important thing to growing babies is the calcium/phosphorus ratio. I would put her on Buckeye Grow-N-Win and free choice grass/alfalfa mix hay. Only AFTER a good de-worming, as well as a bath if possible...:)
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-11-29 2:32 PM (#113722 - in reply to #113220)

Veteran

Just an update on the little weanling....she's coming along nicely.I have used her weakened state to my advantage. She's really no trouble at all.  She figured out how to give to pressure, she leads now, she stands tied and comes up off pressure if she pulls back.  I can even get her to pick up her feet for me.  She's putting on some weight, I wormed her with some safegard the other day.  I've been seeing lots of dead worms coming out in the manure.  How long should I wait before worming her again?  I did a small dose (250lbs) because I didn't want to overdo and kill too many of the worms suddenly.  I've got her out on pasture, she has free choice grass hay, and I bought some equine junior.  She hates it. Evidently I should have read the bag more closely.  Its supposed to be a "complete feed" and it discourages you from giving hay to your growing horse.  Sorry, that sounds odd to me.  I'm adding some calf manna to it for extra calories and protein....just till she gets a little more plump.  I wish I could find the buckeye products around here...I have to drive about an hour just to get to a dealer...

Amanda

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-12-05 1:20 PM (#113978 - in reply to #113220)

angelmay:  you probably should consider another dose of the wormer now....in the past I have used the "powerpack" on severely infested horses, but have not had a weanling.  Suggest you consult a vet.....having said that, it sounds like you are on the right track with the small dose.....if the weanling were mine, I would give it the small dose every day for a week.....using the pyrantel pamoate wormer.  Best wishes to you and the weanling.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-12-06 7:06 PM (#114018 - in reply to #113722)

Expert

Purnia might say its a complete feed but you can and should add hay to the diet. I know the equine senior is also "complete" but we have always fed hay with it. No harm done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)