'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What are trainers charging these days?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-31 12:51 PM
28 replies, 8189 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-12-29 4:54 PM (#114638 - in reply to #113127)
Subject: RE: What are trainers charging these days?

Expert

Terri- a previous poster suggested licensing trainers to which I was responding that I don't agree with licensing for trainers. Owners are another topic. There is nothing wrong letting a young horse grow up without constant handling and fussing. They do not need to be saddled at a young age or repeatedly ponied. For the most part my young horses are given basic handling and teaching them to respect me but otherwise I save the saddling for another time such as when they start training (using surcingals for long lining and bitting them up) They take to the saddle and girth feel pretty quickly. I have found that just going slowly, step by step and allowing the horse to relax and feel comfortable before moving on just makes it faster in the long run. Its on thing to baby a horse and another to over do it. Riding them excessively can do more hard than good - i want to see a horse bright and alert ready to work and enjoying it rather than ridden so hard they get dumpy.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-12-29 9:09 PM (#114649 - in reply to #113127)

Elite Veteran

Farmbabe-that question was intended for the previous poster (glide); think we probably posted at the same time and yours came up first. I wasn't sure if he/she was trying to say the owners should be licensed or the trainers should be.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-12-29 9:26 PM (#114650 - in reply to #114638)

Expert

I'm not sure which of us you were talking to, but I pony my filly as a way to exerscise her.   I don't have a pasture for turn out so she got ponied when we went riding.  I found it was good for her to see how my older horses reacted to things and helped her stay calm.  The first time a car zoomed past and honked their horn she about crawled up in the saddle with me.  Now she doesn't blink when drivers are being stupid.  She has also learned to cross mud puddles and stand her ground when strange dogs come running up barking.  Not stuff I want her to experience for the first time with me on her. 
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-12-31 12:51 PM (#114702 - in reply to #114638)

Veteran

Expert, I agree  I have worked with some three year olds that were never handled and they turned out fine,  my current riding mare was never touched until she was 10 months old.  Yes if their breeding is good they can cope and be good usable horses with out tons of handleing as babies.  My idea is the license  or even a mandatory set of videos to be watched, for first time horse owners, back yard people that raise a foal that becomes - not affraid- of people and pushy and agressive because they are actually alfa not the people, these are the horses that are more time comsuming for the professional trainers to deal with.  And a PIA for the farrier. And IMO when you spend  an hour total, like 10 times for 5 minutes each time, in the first 6 months of a foals life putting a pony saddle and cinch on them, there is none - zero - zippo -stress when you start saddle training. That was the point of the story about the horse I got back, she had that done to her as a baby and even tho it was almost two years later she stood like it was yesterday to be saddled.   Just a short cut I learned along the road of life with horses. 
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)