'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What's the best horse you have had... and why.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-30 7:11 PM
28 replies, 7456 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-11-02 1:52 PM (#112717)
Subject: What's the best horse you have had... and why.

Veteran

What's the best horse you have had-- and why...The best horse I've had is one my sister picked out at an auction. A stout 6 year old sorrel Quarter Horse. By the time she was done with the horse he was about ten years old and I gladly took him over. He had a flaxen main and tail so she named him Blonde. I rode this horse nearly every day while I was going through college. He's the first horse I had that was totally trained and full of spirit. That horse was NOT a people person (?), when you went in to get him he'd walk to the other side of the field. He'd never run away, he'd just try to walk away. Once in halter, he was a true gentleman, never a wrong move, perfectly trained and more heart then ten horses combined. That horse was a little quirky, but I've never since ridden a horse I liked as much as him. The memories I had on his back are irreplaceable and always bring a warm smile to my face.Now... Here's the question... Are my memories of this great horse skewed because I had this horse at a very fun and pivotal time in my life, or was he really that good? I think our memories of great horses in our lives are sometimes blurred by timing and distance. But, that's not a bad thing I guess. Which was your greatest horse, and why...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-11-02 4:24 PM (#112726 - in reply to #112717)
Subject: RE: What's the best horse you have had... and why.

Veteran

A black grade mare that I had in grade school and middle school. She was a great horse probably because we rode 6 days a week for 4 hours each day. I was young had no fear. Rode bareback all time. I had great balance. We did some pretty stupid things but we lived through it. I guess the best horse are the ones one spend alot of time on and that you completely trust each other.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-11-02 7:49 PM (#112737 - in reply to #112726)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by dawnb on 2009-11-02 4:24 PM

A black grade mare that I had in grade school and middle school. She was a great horse probably because we rode 6 days a week for 4 hours each day. I was young had no fear. Rode bareback all time. I had great balance. We did some pretty stupid things but we lived through it. I guess the best horse are the ones one spend alot of time on and that you completely trust each other.

Agreed with the horse taht you rode everyday. You get used to each other and they are typically so well broke. As we get older and more responsibilities it is hard to spend as much time with them
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-02 8:33 PM (#112738 - in reply to #112717)

Expert

My fav show horse, Son of a Cowboy APHA...that gelding had the heart of a true champion and he gave his heart and soul on most every ride and always when it counted.  He once lost his footing on a fence course and I started to sail over his head, he shot straight up smashing my chin on his pole and finished the course on his own, including the soundness trot circle in the end.  I regained my bearings about 10 yards out of the exit gate after I fell off.  We got 3rd out of 40+ riders.  Not to mention all the World and national titles he gave me.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-11-02 9:12 PM (#112740 - in reply to #112738)

Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2009-11-02 8:33 PM

My fav show horse, Son of a Cowboy APHA...that gelding had the heart of a true champion and he gave his heart and soul on most every ride and always when it counted.  He once lost his footing on a fence course and I started to sail over his head, he shot straight up smashing my chin on his pole and finished the course on his own, including the soundness trot circle in the end.  I regained my bearings about 10 yards out of the exit gate after I fell off.  We got 3rd out of 40+ riders.  Not to mention all the World and national titles he gave me.
Yea, this is what I'm looking for. I also agree with the previous poster, when we're young and have more time to be with them you can get real close to them and almost read them. Buts thats not what this thread is about, I want to hear about YOUR best horse and why. I posted this same question on another forum and there's tons of responses. A new horse person may not have any GREATS in their minds but anyone who's lived with horses any length of time at all has a horse that comes to mind.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-11-02 9:52 PM (#112741 - in reply to #112717)

Expert

my belgium he is the greatest nothing get to him joggers step aside .crazy horse people think about it first he is just a joy to ride
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-11-02 10:18 PM (#112744 - in reply to #112717)

Expert

It's almost a toss-up between my 10  yr old black/white Mo.Foxtrotter mare and her mother,but,her mother really belongs to my husband.Nevertheless,I'd say it has to be her MOTHER-she has produced 5 great horses,2 fillies and 3 colts,all different colors.4 of them are with other owners.She is the great-granddaughter of Roger's Perfection,WGC TWH, and the daughter of Charlie Brown and A Bonni Boo, both MFTHBA registered.when it comes to gaits,she can truly "do it all." At 20,she is reliable enough that anyone can ride her.I picked her out of the 5 we own to be my horse Halloween night when I portrayed "the headless horseman" and ran after a trailerload of kids on a dark country  road!

There will never be another "Blaze Bonnie," AKA Blaze.She's the best, that once in a lifetime horse.Irreplaceable.

luvarabs
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2009-11-02 11:11 PM (#112749 - in reply to #112717)

Gosh it has to be a toss up between the half arabian mare, who gave me my start in arabians, that I once had and her three quarter arab daughter.... Both had incredible heart and would give their all no matter what was asked of them...Both were well bred..The half arab,Ginger aka Sultans Lady, was the kind of horse that you could put any one one and trust her with them...But when I would get on, she would turn into a totally different horse and knew that we would take care of each other....I was lucky enough to have her daughter turn out the same way except that besides the trainer that started her I was her only rider ever....She and I had some kind of bond that is hard to explain...I could drop her lead rope and leave her for a few minutes and she would still be there when I came back and would not have moved a muscle...If someone else would handle her she would constantly be looking for me...Unfortunately, I lost them both to founder in  their early twenties....I haven't been lucky enough to find that connection again with the two horses I have now, a grade paint mare and her half arab pinto daughter....Maybe someday I'll find that connection again...
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-11-03 8:50 AM (#112757 - in reply to #112717)

Extreme Veteran

I love my current horse, Nemo, he is everything I want in a horse.  However, if it wasn't for my racking gelding, Dusty, I wouldn't be riding today.  I went through several horses after having a bad riding accident, I lost all my confidence.  Dusty helped me regain my riding confidence and feel comfortable and safe in the saddle again.  He didn't have the smoothest gaits, but he had an easiness about him and was so calm all the time that I rode him anywhere with confidence.
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-11-03 11:11 AM (#112765 - in reply to #112717)

Regular

Best horse I've had: Smutty's Mis Hank (AQHA).  Little plain brown peanut of a mare.  Bought her when she was 4.  Showed her all around this part of the country in Western Pleasure.  She put all the appendix QH's to shame (when she was "on her game").  We hauled each other around for 4-5 years, then the kids started riding.  She taught each of my boys to ride, then helped a bunch of Boy Scouts get their horsemanship merit badges.  After we quit showing, in between boys and trail riding she gave me 7 truly outstanding foals.  Each of her get have had the same incredible mind and gentle nature.  We still own 2 of her get, and are actually onto a 3rd generation.  She is still the yardstick by which I measure any horse.  She has a special place in the pasture now; we sent her over the bridge a few years ago - she was 26.  I still visit her when I need to get stuff off my chest.  I can't stroke her pretty mane or smell her breath any more, but it still helps.  Gosh I miss that ol' girl. 

Edited by JustMary 2009-11-03 11:13 AM
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-11-03 11:18 AM (#112766 - in reply to #112717)

Elite Veteran

My favorite and best horse was the 2nd horse I ever had, a grade Palomino Arab/QH gelding "Diablo" that would do absolutely anything.  I was 10 when we got him and rode bareback most of the time, cantered through goves, woods, busy roads, crossed canals, creeks, etc alone or with groups, and never shied at anything in the 8 years I owned him.  

We particiapted in open shows in barrels, poles, then western pleasure, halter, then hunt seat on the flat and jumping, he did it all.  Once won both jumping classes at a small show where he cleared 4'6" in a Gambler's Choice Class. (I was scared !) He would jump anything you pointed him at.   

We rode in Parades (always carried the flag since he was a flashy Palomino, swam in lakes and the ocean, and never got to the bottom of that horse.  We would start riding at 8 am and sometimes not finish til 6 or 7 pm.  He had a lovely ground eating trot that he could do for miles and I could sit it bareback all day long.  As kids we would ride beside the road, stopping and picking up glass soda bottles, then ride to the closest 7-11 and turn them in for slurpees and carrots for the horses. 

I was in 4H and we participated in campouts, trail rides, used to ride him over to friend's houses and we would both spend the night, rode him to softball practice, he went anywhere without a fuss. He was extremely healthy and never had any leg, stomach, or other issues.  I have such fond memories of riding him all over town, singing to him while his ears would flicker back listening, but never judging.  He knew my life yearnings and the hopes and dreams of a young girl.

Sadly, I had to sell him when I went to college, but managed to keep finding him through his various new owners as he stayed in Vero Beach his whole life.  At the age of 30 his legs gave out, but his heart was still strong...  He was a once in a lifetime horse and my all time favorite mount and friend.  I still miss him and he's been gone 14 years.... RIP my golden boy 

Edited by Dunoir 2009-11-12 1:25 PM
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2009-11-03 11:37 AM (#112770 - in reply to #112717)

Veteran

well only had two horses so far in the past 5 1/2 yearsthe first one was a PMU rescue Perch draft cross, she was all black and really a sweetheart: very gentle and smart. We got her when she was less than 1yrs old, but unfortunately pass away 2 years ago after colic surgery. Didn't get to do much with her....but w/o her i probably wouldn't be into horses.So that probably leaves my current 4yr old Shire as the best: great personality, very calm in most situations, and very versatile ( i do cow events, extreme cowboy events, trail rides and a little jumping on him..still working on getting an harness/wagon)
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-11-03 2:37 PM (#112777 - in reply to #112766)

Veteran

Originally written by Dunoir on 2009-11-03 11:18 AM

At the age of 30 his legs gave out, but his heart was still strong...  He was a once in a lifetime horse and my all time favorite mount and friend. 

Thats like the horse I started this thread with. He lived into his early 20's and his body was just worn out. He gave us his everything. I also like what a previous poster mentioned-- after we have these great horses, they become the measuring stick for every horse we have later in our lives. I find myself doing that. Whenever I get another horse I compare them to the one great horse.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-11-03 6:15 PM (#112785 - in reply to #112757)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by JacciB on 2009-11-03 7:50 AM

I love my current horse, Nemo, he is everything I want in a horse.  However, if it wasn't for my racking gelding, Dusty, I wouldn't be riding today.  I went through several horses after having a bad riding accident, I lost all my confidence.  Dusty helped me regain my riding confidence and feel comfortable and safe in the saddle again.  He didn't have the smoothest gaits, but he had an easiness about him and was so calm all the time that I rode him anywhere with confidence.

Boy can I relate to that!!!!

After my wild ride it was over a year before I could physically get on a horse, and the fear nearly destroyed my love affair with riding.  I was angry and ashamed that I couldn't conquer my fear.  But along came a blood-bay Morgan mare who seemed to take me under her wing and take care of me.  She was absolutely wonderful.

Marla

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-11-04 9:34 PM (#112811 - in reply to #112717)

Veteran

I have a 19 yr old paint gelding that is the only foal from my first horse. He is my measuring stick. He is everything a horse should be and not be!! LOL! He has taken me from 4-H to trail riding to outrider on a standardbred racetrack. He saved my hinny more times than I can count. But he is the first one to put me in my place when I get a big head!! He taught both my boys to ride and my ex-husband that he COULDN'T ride!! LMAO!!! He has been my shoulder to cry on and platform to whoop from for 19 yrs... He is now my babysitter for foals. Fat's will be forever on my farm and in my heart. I'm a solid believer that you only get one of this caliber, so I will cherish him forever!!
Barbwire
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-11-05 12:29 PM (#112820 - in reply to #112717)

The best horse I ever had was my first. He ran off with me, tried to brush me off on trees, ran through about every fence we had and pulled back and broke countless halters and lead ropes.

He taught me more than any horse I've had since and for that I'll always be greatful to his evil, rotten, self.

Edited by Barbwire 2009-11-05 12:30 PM
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-11-05 5:50 PM (#112830 - in reply to #112717)

Veteran

I've been in horses about 10 years. I've bought sold and traded more than I can count or remember, which is pretty sad. I've been attached to only two horses out of all of them, but the main one is my current haflinger/belgian mare Daisy. She has toted my happy butt through construction zones, over steep terrain, deep creeks, into bars, through neighborhoods, been buzzed by crop dusters, been unphased by explosions, and has truly been a pleasure to work with. She gives kisses...she learned this on her own. I believe we've even been connected in mind once. I ran out in a sleet storm to secure the barn doors, and in my haste neglected to put on a had or gloves. The door proved to be more than I bargained for, and the sleet pelted the side of my head and gave me that terrible pain that goes deep down into your ear and hurts like none other. I ran into the barn, stood in the corral with my frozen hands in my pockets...hoping to warm them enough to dull the pain in my ear. Daisy came into the stall with a thick layer of sleet built up on her fuzzy back and went immediately to my painful ear and nuzzled it and held it in her lips. Horses don't just go for ears. I have long hair, so she couldn't even see my ear. She knew where i was hurting and did what she could to fix it. Talk about sending chills up your spine! She may never be an athletic horse, but she will always be most speical to me!
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-11-05 8:11 PM (#112836 - in reply to #112830)

Veteran

Originally written by Angelmay84 on 2009-11-05 5:50 PM

I've been in horses about 10 years. I've bought sold and traded more than I can count or remember, which is pretty sad. I've been attached to only two horses out of all of them, but the main one is my current haflinger/belgian mare Daisy. She has toted my happy butt through construction zones, over steep terrain, deep creeks, into bars, through neighborhoods, been buzzed by crop dusters, been unphased by explosions, and has truly been a pleasure to work with. She gives kisses...she learned this on her own. I believe we've even been connected in mind once. I ran out in a sleet storm to secure the barn doors, and in my haste neglected to put on a had or gloves. The door proved to be more than I bargained for, and the sleet pelted the side of my head and gave me that terrible pain that goes deep down into your ear and hurts like none other. I ran into the barn, stood in the corral with my frozen hands in my pockets...hoping to warm them enough to dull the pain in my ear. Daisy came into the stall with a thick layer of sleet built up on her fuzzy back and went immediately to my painful ear and nuzzled it and held it in her lips. Horses don't just go for ears. I have long hair, so she couldn't even see my ear. She knew where i was hurting and did what she could to fix it. Talk about sending chills up your spine! She may never be an athletic horse, but she will always be most speical to me!
Wow, thats a cool story.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-11-05 10:00 PM (#112840 - in reply to #112717)

Expert

ALL 14 of mine because I said! hee hee

Actually my 10 year old APHA breeding stock mare (RED), we bought her as a yearling and have done everything ourself, she has turned out to be great at everything I do with her.  I can put her out for 18 months (oh I did, she fractured her knee) and bring her back and it is like I never stopped riding her.  I can also put ANYBODY on this girl and she takes care of them.......  She is a little lazy, but follows me around like a dog.

When she was a 5 year old I had a man work with her on her gate issues and he was working her in a round pen and she kept running behind me so she would not have to work.

She's my baby, wouldn't trade the world for her!

Or just like VISA states, truck $35-k, trailer $40-k, my horse PRICELESS!

Edited by hogtownboss 2009-11-06 2:11 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-11-08 8:27 AM (#112911 - in reply to #112717)

Elite Veteran

My first pony was a horrible welsh arabian(?) cross Who was a poster child for every bad conformation point there was. He tried to kill me at first, then as i learned more and more from him, he became a good all around pony. He will always have a special place in my heart.. But My BEST horse came right after.. a buttermilk buckskin appaloosa colt that I bought with babysitting money when i was 14 and he was 13 months old.. He was the love of my young life and I spent almost every waking moment with him.. He was always good natured, but with the constant handling, he was puppy dog gentle.. I could absolutely do ANYTHING with him..I had to sell him when he was 3 because my family was moving across country and couldn't afford to have him shipped..That was 35 years ago and I still miss that horse.. I remember everything about him, including his birthdate and registration number. He will always be the standard by which I measure my other horses.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-11-10 9:11 AM (#112981 - in reply to #112717)

Extreme Veteran

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-11-10 9:23 AM (#112982 - in reply to #112717)

Extreme Veteran

That would be my Arabian mare Siseley! ( sorry about the pic first!)

She has taken me from the desert of California, to the 10,000 ft area of the Sierra Nevada, from Red Rock country to the central California beaches. We have over 500 logged hours in the Frequent Rider Program with AHA, and only three people have EVER swung a leg over her. While most of the time we ride here in the high desert, I trust her to quietly go up the pack trails and thru the rocky areas of our buttes. Got her as a yearling and waited until she was 3 1/2 to ever put the saddle on her. Before that we just handled her a lot, and gave her really good ground manners and flat work. Along with her stable mate "Lancer", who is 30 yrs young, she takes care of my wife and I. ( and I didn't even start riding until I was 53 yrs old!!) She is now 8 1/2 and I'm 63 so still a perfect horse for me.

TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-11-11 6:14 PM (#113044 - in reply to #112717)

Veteran

Wow, the best horse...we've owned horses about 9 years now and had so many good ones.  Just about all of them are standing outside right now.

In all honesty, the best is probably the mare I ride now, because she does everything - hits the trail solo or in a group, 4H, gymkhana, clinics, shows, team penning - and never, ever complains.  She always gives 100%.  She's easy to catch, sound, soft and flexible, and has no vices whatsoever.  She's confident and secure, no matter what the setting.  Ride her once a year or once a day, and she's still the same.

So, like I said, in all HONESTY, she's probably the best, because she's just so good all around without any complaint. 

However, the horse I always think of first is a gelding I had (he was put down last year due to arthritis) who was FABULOUS!  This is the horse I would resurrect if I had the power.  He was big and gorgeous, had every button you could ever put on a horse, and would chase a cow until his heart gave out if you asked it of him.  His one desire was to please.  He never put a foot on the ground without checking to see if it was where I wanted it, never missed a pivot, a rollback, a stop, and was the first (and so far only) horse I've ever ridden that felt like I was on jet plane.  He was all forward drive, a solid powerhouse.  He was just so amazing!!  Every time I think of the great rides we had, I get a stupid grin.  He's the horse I want to own all over again.  His only flaw was his insecurity, and that's probably why he was so willing to do whatever I asked - he NEEDED a leader.  Knowing how insecure he was, he would have been my last choice for a group or solo trail ride, and I never ever left him tied to a trailer alone unless he'd been worked already.  He would just be frantic.  His training made him great, without it, he would have been a basket case.

How do you pick the best?  I don't know.  I can't really live without this mare right now because she's my 'does everything' horse, but the gelding was the one that just blew me away with every ride.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-11-12 8:23 AM (#113065 - in reply to #112717)

Expert

AQHA, The Black Baron.  He was black with a small star, stood 15.3 and covered the ground he stood on.  He was a versatility show horse, harness, trail, WP, halter, reining, western riding, reined cow horse, hunter hack and cross country.  Out of the show pen, you never had a doubt if you were pasture roping, or dallied off to a TB or bronc colt.  He had an attitude of, You BETCHA, this can be DONE! He had a natural headset, a very light neck-rein, could lead the ride, go alone, or be left behind....he was exceptionally confident and unafraid.  He ran to meet you to be caught, and reached out and took the bit when it got close to his head.  Packed game, absolutely gun sound and could be stood on his reins for hours.  This horse had style, speed and power, beauty and presence, and just the best attitude of never give in and never give up!  He saved both my husband's life more than once with superb reflexes and decision making, and mine once when a large horse I was dallied off too had a monster fit, he hung in there and scratched and clawed and kept his footing til it was done.....a real honest and extremely sharp horse whose good mind and judgement you could trust every single time.......he was tested over and over again and always came through 110%.  A really great all around horse with grit, courage, show stopping looks and dynamic manners! I bought him when he was 13 months old, did his training, he was just outstanding in so many ways, lost him at age 16 to a heart attack....he lived to the hilt right to the end......we are priviliged to have had him.

mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-11-12 10:31 AM (#113074 - in reply to #112717)

Regular

The best horse i ever had and still have is a 35 yr old(now)grade QH mare, she has went thru most of my life w/me good and bad times marriges, divorces, deaths of parents and always seems to know when i nd a hug(she will actually lay her head on my shoulder and hug me). She was introduced to both my boys when they were still babies, as soon as they could set up off we went, she seemed to know to take it slow when they were on board w/me. She taught them how to ride, taught any other horses raised or bought pasture manners, showed the colts the dogs were ok etc. I have sooo many ribbons,awards, trophys etc that I cant display them all,I have in a spare bedroom along w/pics of us and when anyone new comes over I show them what we(haha) looked like in our prime. I know someday soon she wont greet me in the mornings with a nicker anymore but I have her spot picked out and her head stone will say"wait for me at heavens gate and we will ride thru together like we always have any new place". I will never ever have another horse that could read my mind and moods like her, she is a once in a lifetime horse.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)