'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mare or Gelding... and why?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-10-17 7:23 PM
33 replies, 11149 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-10-26 12:19 PM (#112429)
Subject: Mare or Gelding... and why?

Veteran

I grew up with mares but for the last 20 years all I've had is geldings. I spoke with some gals this last summer and they all liked mares better, said they have more heart. My wife had a mare years ago and when she'd go into heat she was a real b**ch. I'm looking to get a good young horse to bring along and I'm thinking I might try a mare.Which do you like better for a saddle horse, and why?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-10-26 12:27 PM (#112430 - in reply to #112429)
Subject: RE: Mare or Gelding... and why?

Extreme Veteran

If you want to be breeder, then a mare or stallion is in order, otherwise, why fool with the hormones of either?

There is no difference in the heart of a mare vs a gelding. That's an individual trait totally diverse of sex.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2009-10-26 7:58 PM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-10-26 1:39 PM (#112438 - in reply to #112429)

Expert

IMO- I like geldings better. Mares have this way of reproducing....oh she is so nice,,,,she has great bloodlines....I want to have one of her foals...then before you know it you have several of her foals and you can't give them away. Then there are the heat cycles which some mares just have a tough time getting along with anyone.Geldings have NO purpose in life other than to make me happy. I am not sure what "heart" has to do with anything( other than racing,jumping or other high end sports) but a gelding tends to have better overall dispoistions ( there are exceptions)
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-10-26 2:05 PM (#112439 - in reply to #112429)

Veteran

You bring up some good points farmbabe. I've always LOVED my geldings, so I was surprised to see these gals I show with were all so pro mare. They absolutely thought the mares were easier to train and gave more. I've never trained a mare so I was all ears. I've also heard mares are smarter-- but I'm not sure I want a smart horse, I think I just want want that will do as I say.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-10-26 2:32 PM (#112442 - in reply to #112439)

Extreme Veteran

Smarter means they learn quicker. I have my 1st mare. I have always had geldings or stallion to ride until I had a filly out of a broodmare. I don't ride that mare so I am not counting her. I am suprised how sweet and smart she is. They say they learn quicker and she does but her breed has a tendancy to be smart also. She is in heat alot with all the boys around but I have also gotten some of my better work outs when she is in heat. My sister has several mares and no boys so she never can tell when hers are in heat.
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-10-26 3:36 PM (#112450 - in reply to #112429)

Veteran

Hah! ROFL!  Smarter means they learn quicker?  You're somewhat right there, but that doesn't mean they're learning what you want you them to. Smarter means that the human had better get smarter still.  My gelding is a great horse, well broke and reliable, but he's the one who unties the other horses, opens doors, tips buckets, etc, etc, etc, and generally causes a quiet riot while standing in the middle of all the chaos and admiring it.  He's always thinking too hard. I could make a list as long as my arm of things he's done that not one other horse I've ever owned has even thought of.  He's way too funny

Anyway, as for the mare/gelding thing...I've owned plenty of both, but currently have 5 mares and one gelding, the mischief maker.  There's not one quality I would assign to one or the other and say "he/she does that because he/she is a gelding/mare."  A good horse is a good horse.  Same with heart - they either have it or they don't, and I've seen it in both mares and geldings.

Of all of these mares, there's only one I can guess at when she cycles, as the rest sure like to keep it a secret.  Cycling or not, they behave the same year round.

As for buying a young horse, I wouldn't pass up on a gelding that I liked, but I do factor in the mare part as a plan B, in case plan A - saddle horse - fails.  I don't breed my mares, so that's not a temptation for me.  I like the plan B back up plan for resale value, if the time every arrives.  I also like plan B in case the horse is injured, and unable to ridden. 

What's that saying?  Tell a gelding, ask a mare?  Funny, but I think that kind of applies.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-10-26 4:55 PM (#112453 - in reply to #112429)

Veteran

I have ridden mares for the last 8 years. I've had geldings too. My past two mares have been angels. No bad behavior, even in the pasture. However, I've had some that are pure concentrated evil. I personally think mares have more brains and more attitude...sometimes good, sometimes bad!
I've heard of more people spaying mares. It's performed like a vaginal hysterectomy in humans, and is evidently very safe, and costs about $1000. I guess then they are basically like a gelding after that. I've been shopping for another horse, and I tell everyone, I'd prefer a gelding, but would tolerate a mare. Buy whatever horse suits you regardless of the sex. Not all mares go stupid when they're in heat. I believe there are some herbal supplements out on the market that are designed to help. Think it's called PMS of all things!
Amanda
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-26 7:42 PM (#112458 - in reply to #112429)

Expert

I've got two geldings and two mares. And I'm hard pressed to see any difference.  I ride the geldings more because they are 16 hh and my mares are 15hh.

My daughters ride the mares, just because they are shorter and easier to get on.

I never know when they cycle. They just don't show unless they are standing near a stud horse.

I say a good horse is a good horse regardless of gender.

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-26 11:10 PM (#112461 - in reply to #112429)

Expert

Geldings are a better, safer bet when young horse shopping IMHO.  Great fillies often don't become great mares.  Hormones are nasty things best left to people that want to breed  If you just want to show then geldings are about as dead level a bet as you can make for disposition.  Mares don't give more heart, they give more headaches!

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-27 6:43 AM (#112462 - in reply to #112429)

Veteran

In following the Billings, Montana Horse Sales for many years, well broke ranch geldings typically bring far more than even the well bred broke mares. When on ranch vacations, I asked the cowboys why they prefer geldings....always same answer..."only thing mares are good for is producing good geldings." That said, I have had mares and geldings for 50+ years. I admire a mare's attentiveness on the trail. My mare was the only one on a ride (rest geldings) that noticed a rattler by the edge of the road., and quickly did a 180....I barely held on! I have been on geldings that step over snakes on the trail, oblivious to the fact they are there. The rider behind me yells, and brings my attention to it! My mare knows where the deer, etc., are long before I do. At the Kentucky Cup Endurance event this month in Lexington, Ky., I had the priviledge of serving as a vet scribe. A mare earned best conditioned, and the 69 year old owner/rider talked eloquently about her "heart." Mares did well overall. All food for thought, and comes down to personal preference.

Dustydew
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2009-10-27 6:48 AM (#112463 - in reply to #112458)

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2009-10-26 7:42 PM

I say a good horse is a good horse regardless of gender.

My feelings as well. In 48 years of having trail horses my best buddy for 23 years was Dusty, an appaloosa mare out of my other great mare that died when she was 32. These two horses were just 'horses'. It didn't matter if they were mares or geldings. Now I have a gelding, and he is a good horse, but will never replace my Dusty horse. (BTW - In all my years Dusty was the only baby we raised - not into breeding, just trail riding.)
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 7:17 PM (#112530 - in reply to #112461)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by huntseat on 2009-10-26 10:10 PM

Geldings are a better, safer bet when young horse shopping IMHO.  Great fillies often don't become great mares.  Hormones are nasty things best left to people that want to breed  If you just want to show then geldings are about as dead level a bet as you can make for disposition.  Mares don't give more heart, they give more headaches!

I couldn't disagree more!  Yes, some mares are a pain at times, but then again so are some geldings.  I had a Morgan mare who was the light of my life.  She knew what I wanted before I did!  She was really wonderful, and though I have had many horses since, none have won my heart as she did.  What it boils down to is a horse is a horse no matter the sex.

Marla

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-10-29 5:59 AM (#112540 - in reply to #112429)

Elite Veteran

This month's Trail Rider has an article that covers this topic. Some interesting statements in it. Writer says that he enjoys mare's becuase they "Won't quit on you in a tight Place". He also states something that I totally agree with - a mares reproductive cycle should not be used as an excuse for poor behavior.

Good training is paramount to either mares or geldings. I ride both and equally enjoy both sexes. He also states that sometimes a bond between a mare and person can be very strong which may be due to maternal instincts.

I wouldn't discount one sex over the other, but rather go on disposition of the horse.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-10-29 5:19 PM (#112568 - in reply to #112429)

Extreme Veteran

"Won't quit on you in a tight Place"

Has absolutely nothing to do with sex. Strictly, depends on the horse. Some have and some do not.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-10-29 5:33 PM (#112573 - in reply to #112429)

Elite Veteran

I started out with geldings then some how got a palomino mare. And I had mares for a few years. Now I have geldings. Never had any issues with either.I think I looked at thier over all temperment and how thier ground manners were,there build etc.  I never thought about buying a mare or gelding. I was looking for a good horse....
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-10-29 5:38 PM (#112575 - in reply to #112568)

Veteran

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2009-10-29 5:19 PM

"Won't quit on you in a tight Place"Has absolutely nothing to do with sex. Strictly, depends on the horse. Some have and some do not.
I think there is some disagreement on this, I've been asking this same question for years, decades now I guess, and I keep hearing that mares have more heart. I also hear that mares can be pushed a little more in training. This may not match your experience but I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-11-01 7:09 PM (#112690 - in reply to #112530)

Expert

Originally written by Marla on 2009-10-28 7:17 PM

Originally written by huntseat on 2009-10-26 10:10 PM

I couldn't disagree more!  Yes, some mares are a pain at times, but then again so are some geldings.  I had a Morgan mare who was the light of my life.  She knew what I wanted before I did!  She was really wonderful, and though I have had many horses since, none have won my heart as she did.  What it boils down to is a horse is a horse no matter the sex.

Marla

Marla, read the post, for young horse shopping and showing, I feel that Geldings are a better bet.  Shows happen at all times of the month, and I would say that more geldings than mares make it to the show ring (Youth and Amateur).

Everyone should know one great mare, but that does not make every mare that even and steady.

bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-11-01 9:23 PM (#112695 - in reply to #112575)

Extreme Veteran

quote: "
"Won't quit on you in a tight Place"Has absolutely nothing to do with sex. Strictly, depends on the horse. Some have and some do not.
I think there is some disagreement on this, I've been asking this same question for years, decades now I guess, and I keep hearing that mares have more heart. I also hear that mares can be pushed a little more in training. This may not match your experience but I've heard it too many times to ignore it."
endquote

Been around too many horses of both sexes to put any trust in one having more heart than another. IF anything the mares and stallions are more affected by hormones, mares more than stallions. That's a given. Sure some mares are trained to not act differently when the hormones kick in, and there are a few that aren't bothered with it all. BUT, geldings are never bothered with hormonal problems.

If they are going to have heart, they have it. Sex has nothing to do with it. All of my geldings have a lot of heart, BUT, I wouldn't have them if they didn't. That doesn't make geldings have more heart, either. The mares I've had, have all, had a lot of heart also, OR, I wouldn't have them either.
drumrunners1968
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2009-11-26 8:05 PM (#113667 - in reply to #112429)

New User

sex has nothing to do with how much heart a horse has.  it comes down to how they are bred.  are they bred to preform a certain event? cowy horses are bred that way with brains and quickness.  they also make great trail horses.  speed horses are bred with quickness and can be startled easily.  hence they are bred to run.  so you see it does not matter what you ride. male or female.  some people get along with one or the other better than others do.  just like people, some get along with the same sex better than the opposite sex.   heart and endurance is bred into the horse. it has nothing to do with the sex.  I ride both. a good horse is a good horse. I also bred them. and yes some mares can be a little witchy.  I don't do anything differnt when they are in cycle than when they are out of cycle.  a pushy mare has learned that she can get away with things when ever she acts nasty and then when she cycles it is then blamed on the cycling.  not so, it is how they are handled from the get go. don't take anything from them.  a gelding can do the same things, just more predictable cause they don't have the harmon fluxuation.  handle a mare like a stallion, always on your guard.  they are alot of fun to work with.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-12-28 9:24 PM (#114613 - in reply to #112429)

Expert

My opinion flip a quarter!  We have 14 horses total about 1/2 and 1/2 and if you have to pick a "best" out of the bunch I would have to say our mares are the best (at what we do)!

Like everyone else has stated, really does not matter the sex!  I do have a 7 year old quarter horse gelding (15hh 1350lbs) I bought last year with no papers.  The horse came off the Waggner Ranch and the guy I bought him from had all types of trouble out of him.  I bought him and after 1 ride he has been GREAT and gives me 100% at anything and everything I ask him for.  The only thing he does not like is shooting!  Thanks to the dumb a** I bought him from.

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-12-28 9:38 PM (#114615 - in reply to #112429)

Extreme Veteran

Sex like color has little to do with a good horse, if the horse is well trained and well mannered they all are good rides.

Just my 2C's...steve

appy4me
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2009-12-28 9:40 PM (#114616 - in reply to #112429)

Veteran

The only problem I've had with my geldings is my mares.

It's the horse, not the gender. 

Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2009-12-29 8:43 AM (#114625 - in reply to #114616)

Good thing you guys have gotten this settled. 

I just wish people would stop buying mares with the thought of "If she don't work out, I can breed her". If you can't get along with her, she isn't worth breeding!

I have owned and trained both and believe you can have good and bad in both. Buy the one you want and work your a## of to bring out the best in them.  

Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-01-04 5:05 PM (#114867 - in reply to #112429)

Regular

I've had both through the years, & for a time pretty much all geldings.  Now in the past few years, it's switched & I've had more mares.  The one thing I've noticed w/my own - my mares are more "serious" about life & work & my geldings have had more attitudes &/or been more mischievious.  Not saying it's a cut & dried thing - just what I've experienced with ours.  The mare I'm riding now?  Wouldn't trade her for anything.
AQHA 123
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2010-01-06 12:10 PM (#114956 - in reply to #112540)

Veteran

Originally written by ponytammy on 2009-10-29 5:59 AM

This month's Trail Rider has an article that covers this topic.

Anybody know how I could find this article to read????? I have looked all over for it.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)