'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Pad Thickness

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-11-24 9:43 PM
18 replies, 14365 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-23 10:12 AM (#112277)
Subject: Saddle Pad Thickness

Elite Veteran

How thick should they be? I use a tacky pad with a navajo blanket. It seems thick enough for me but I have been questioned by a fellow horse person. I used two navajos with a tacky pad just to see.....and the saddle seems to want to slip a little when mounting.

Another question....What do you do when your saddle doesn't fit as well when your horse puts on some weight.....dry spots now?

Edited by Gone 2009-10-23 10:14 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-23 12:29 PM (#112284 - in reply to #112277)
Subject: RE: Saddle Pad Thickness

Veteran

1) Depends on the saddle and the horse. No such thing as one size fits all.

2) Try something different.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-23 12:32 PM (#112285 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

I am using the wide tree on him now and I tried my Arab tree Crates. It pops up in the back. I have a medium Tucker, wide Tucker and an Arab tree Crates.....Something has to give....

Edited by Gone 2009-10-23 12:33 PM
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-10-23 9:03 PM (#112303 - in reply to #112285)

Regular

where in MI are you?  a friend is having a saddle fitting clinic next month that you might really enjoy & get it figured all out.  Here is the info:

I am trying to get a Saddle Fitting Clinic here in MI this fall, November to be exact. Not sure on the date yet, still working on it, but seeing if I have any interest in it.

Would be a one day clinic. Could do two days if I have enough interest. Can do 8 horses per day. Cost would be $125 for you and your horse or $50 to audit the clinic.

Clinic would start with introduction and importance of saddling fitting and such. Also would include a thing on massage. You would get a full massage on your horse, saddle fitting with up to three saddles for your horse.

This lady has been doing this for over 20 years, and she is super nice. Her name is Meleta Brown. Here is her website so you can check it out... http://www.thefreedomsaddle.com/

Please get back with me as soon as you can if you are interested in attending this. It is very informative and is a great learning tool to add to your education in the horse industry. Any and all disciplines are welcome. Please pass this on!!!!

Email me at: cqfarms@yahoo.com

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-24 4:13 PM (#112334 - in reply to #112303)

Veteran

More padding is not always the answer.  The proper saddle fit is.  The saddle I have fits my horse and has supracor padding installed under the tree bars and also in the seat.  I can not use a very thick pad, 1/2" to 5/8" thick is fine for me.  If the saddle padding is thinner you should use a thicker pad.  I have found that using 2 or three pads/blankets is even worse.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-26 12:33 AM (#112388 - in reply to #112277)

Expert

you might try a closed cell foam pad to help with seasonal weight fit issues.  For my English saddles I use cashel cushions, but they make something similar for Western saddles.
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-26 1:11 PM (#112435 - in reply to #112277)

Extreme Veteran

I have been through saddle fitting He**. I am now riding in a Bob Marshall Original treeless saddle and am loving every minute. My horse is comfortable and moves out better than he ever has and no soreness at all. I am an AVID trail rider and have been known to be in the saddle for 6+ hours. If you are not going to be roping or using the horn to pony or dally for any reason, check into this saddle. I absolutely love mine. Of course,not everybody loves the treeless saddles but I DO! As far as I know, the treeless saddle will fit most any type horse except a really wide flat backed horse. I have read that the treeless will most likely "roll" on this type back. As for my horse, it fits him GREAT! Both he and I are more comfortable than we have EVER been. I know this did not answer the question about pads but like previously mentioned if the saddle does not fit, it is unlikely that you can "Make" it fit using a certain pad.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-28 7:40 AM (#112495 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

It's frustrating....I tried my Arab tree on him and it sits nice through the shoulder/wither area but it starts popping up in the cantle area. It doesn't rest level on his back. Two of the saddles were purchased within a year apart. I am getting tired of spending money......My Crates has only been used twice on my Arab. Unfortunately she had to be retired, so there it sits....My QH has some big shoulders.... 

Edited by Gone 2009-10-28 7:57 AM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-10-28 8:28 AM (#112496 - in reply to #112277)

Extreme Veteran

I certainly understand your frustration. I took my horse to a nearby western store and we put somewhere between 20 to 25 saddles up on his back and only 1 yes only ONE fit him. So even though I was not that comfortable in it, I ordered it anyway. I rode in it less than a year and decided there had to be something that would be comfortable for both of us. (I ordered a Tucker Gen II Cheynne Frontier with a Med tree and a 15 1/2 seat and the seat size was just too large for me...still have it for sale.) AT one point in my journey to find the right saddle, a friend even suggested finding another horse instead. I love my pony but it WAS a battle to find the right saddle. I borrowed my cousin's Original Bob Marshall treeless to try it. WOW. I had to have one for myself. I tried to find a used one but could not find one in the right seat size with a round skirt,(horse is short backed so had to have round skirt) so I ordered ANOTHER BRAND NEW saddle. Thank goodness it did not cost as much as that Tucker. No more fitting problems for me or the horse. Now if I could just sell that blame Tucker. I did manage to sell a Colorado Wade Tree Ranch roping saddle to help pay for the Bob Marshall. I loved that Colorado, but it was HEAVY and the horse I used it on has had to be retired. Anyway, I digress..if you could find someone in your area that has a Bob Marshall so you could try it, do it just to see if it works for you and your horse. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Edited by lesliemal 2009-10-28 8:31 AM
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 8:29 AM (#112497 - in reply to #112277)

Veteran

I've been riding in a bob marshal treeless endurance model for 6 years.  However, its only been in the last two that I've really picked up on the riding. I used to ride once or twice a month for a few hours. Now it's week long events 5 or 6 hours a day at all gaits.   That saddle is NOT doing my horses's back any favors.  Its comfy for me, sure.  I bought the skito pad with laminated foam, extra firm, thicker than standard, with felt bottom.  This is the above and beyond the RECOMMENDED PAD by BMSS and Skito.  My horse has white spots  where my pelvic bones sit, and where the pommel and cantle hit.  I only weigh 120. I am a good rider, but don't have a very cushy tush.  I ride on my pockets, not with my tailbones jabbing into the horse.  Still she has white spots.  It does NOT distribute your weight.  Perhaps for running barrels or riding for a few hours a week it would be okay.  Maybe my horse is abnormal.  All I know is that for 6 hour/day rides the bob marshall saddle does not work in my case....despite a $250 pad.  Pads can help, but won't fix a poorly functioning saddle.  As soon as I find something else, I'm selling it. along with the $250 dollar pad.   As far as regarding the original poster, the less pad the better.  The high quality pads like equipedic aren't that thick, but are made of materials that absorb shock better than say fleece or felt, where you might need more thickness to obtain the same level of shock absorbtion.  I wouldn't want more than 1-1.5 inches of pad total.  If you have a perfect fitting saddle you can get away with less.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-10-28 8:38 AM (#112498 - in reply to #112277)

Veteran

To comment on arab trees...your problem may be that there is more room in the shoulder area, but the bars are more curved for the arab back.  That would be why it's popping up.  Try a back cinch.  Check for bridging.  Sometimes too the rigging is placed far forward on a saddle, which when you tighten it down will cause it to pop up even if the saddle fits everywhere else.  My friend has a cordura saddle that does that.  A back cinch helps.

I've been through saddle fitting hell with my haflinger/belgian. I've bought every treeless saddle on the market. Hilason, Barefoot, Bob Marshall, Torsion....  I'm looking at a big wide billy cook roper today that will hopefully fit.  I keep a cardboard cutout of her wither tracing in my truck so I can MAYBE someday find a saddle that will work!

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-28 9:05 AM (#112500 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

The purpose of a saddle pad is to keep the underside of a saddle clean. It is not there...to help make a poor saddle fit better.

If your saddle does not fit your horse, adding thickness to the saddle pads will only serve to make the fit worse. Think of it as wearing two pairs of socks or extra thick socks in tight or ill fitting shoes. They make the fit...worse.

I would suggest that you find a expert saddle fitter in your area to help you with your saddle fit issues. GOOD LUCK!!!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-10-28 10:48 AM (#112505 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

The Crates popped up before being cinched so I knew being cinched was only gonna make it worse. I am seeing myself being more into QH's so I am thinking about selling the Crates and trying not to take a huge loss. There is a place about an hour from my home that does saddle fitting.....We want to go to Shawnee in the spring so I need to get this corrected. I love his shoulder but it is definately big.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-10-28 11:13 AM (#112506 - in reply to #112505)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Gone on 2009-10-28 10:48 AM
I love his shoulder but it is definately big.

Try a saddle with a flare in the front or a Flex Panel saddle. The flex panel saddle would sit over his shoulders, and may help with the large shoulders issue.

I ride in a Reactor Panel saddle, this is the only saddle that would work on Huginn's back. Not a perfect fit...but close.

Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-10-30 3:56 PM (#112621 - in reply to #112277)

Regular

Gone, are you not anywhere near to where Crista is having Meleta Brown's saddle fitting clinic?  It is Nov 14th - & I wish I were still living back there, would LOVE to go to one of her clinics.  It may sound expensive but a WHOLE lot cheaper than buying & selling a bunch of saddles that don't fit .....
hansenshorses
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-11-23 6:00 PM (#113540 - in reply to #112277)

Regular

I have the Maleta Brown trail saddle for Lukka and it fits her good.  I use a 1/2 navajo pad and am going to purchase a 1/2 inch 5 star.  I also have a Barefoot Sierra that I will start riding more in this summer. I wish I could have gone to that Maleta Brown clinic.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-11-24 11:08 AM (#113574 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

I'm sending this same horse to my trainer in late winter so there goes more money.....I am going to sell my Crates. I'm just wondering if I should do it now because of Christmas or wait until late winter when people are looking forward to ride for the season. The saddle has to go before I take him to get fitted, just tired of shelling out money.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-11-24 11:17 AM (#113575 - in reply to #112277)

Elite Veteran

I ride in a Bates caprilli all purpose with the adjustable gullet and cair panels... I LOVE this saddle because I can adjust it to fit each horse's present condition, or any other horse for that matter.... It is beautiful and comfortable.
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-11-24 9:43 PM (#113602 - in reply to #113540)

Regular

Originally written by hansenshorses on 2009-11-23 5:00 PM

I have the Maleta Brown trail saddle for Lukka and it fits her good.  I use a 1/2 navajo pad and am going to purchase a 1/2 inch 5 star.  I also have a Barefoot Sierra that I will start riding more in this summer. I wish I could have gone to that Maleta Brown clinic.

She does them all over the country - & I think is going to do another one in the same place (Crista will set it up) next spring since the participation was so great & she's had so many more that want to come to one now.  You can contact Meleta directly & find out where she is having other clinics.  She's moving to WY so won't be as available before long to your area.  (she lives in IN now)

also meant to say, it's too bad you didn't know enough ahead of time on this one - a gal from WI hauled horses to MI for it & maybe you could have hitched a ride!

Edited by Rockyroad 2009-11-24 9:47 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)