'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
searching for a horse-please help!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-08 6:05 PM
37 replies, 8008 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 9:29 AM (#111145)
Subject: searching for a horse-please help!

Hi all! I'm new here so I will introduce myself and then get to my situation. My names Jenny, I have a husband, a nine year old son, two Belgian geldings,eight dogs, two cats two ferrets and a frog.(my son's)! OK, heres my problem. Years ago, we had a colt born in our barn who was started from birth in training, and at two years old I started him under saddle. Because of finacial problems we had to sell him. AWSOME horse, gentle with lots of promise. I have since talked with the person we sold him to, who also sold him. As the story goes, apparently this horse has nearly killed three people. One had to be put on life support. Sounds like he is a bad biter and kicker, and he comes after you with full intent. I can't even begin to imagine what he has gone through if all this is as bad as being said. Here are some stats on him someone may recognize. He is a sorrel APHA breeding stock gelding with the registerd name May One Rain. As best I can remember he is approx. 5-8 years old now. His dam is APHA reg. as Lil' Miss Streaker,  and sire is APHA Just Call Me Sonny. Sonny has a supreme tiltle in halter, and something in western pleasure as well, just can't remember right off. I believe he is in Alabama somewhere, but he could be anywhere. IF I find him(and if is a big stretch) I don't know that I would be able do a whole lot with him anymore other than try for years to gain trust. Anyone who may know of other search sites I could go to, please let me know. I also plan to call the APHA Monday. Thanks SOOO much for any help or ideas anybody may have.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-09-27 9:48 AM (#111147 - in reply to #111145)
Subject: RE: searching for a horse-please help!

Elite Veteran

I think you are right on track with contacting APHA. That will get you to the most current registered owner anyway. Good luck with re-habbing a kicker. I just had to give up on one after a broken wrist, bruised ribs and a full double-barrelled chest kick. NOT the way to increase your breast size, let me assure you. He also came after me with full intent and these were separate incidents, months apart. This may be a can of worms you are better off not opening.

ETA: The cowboy who bought him knew just what he was buying and was better equipped to handle the problem than me.

Edited by terri s 2009-09-27 9:53 AM
dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 9:54 AM (#111148 - in reply to #111147)

Originally written by terri s on 2009-09-27 9:48 AM

I think you are right on track with contacting APHA. That will get you to the most current registered owner anyway. Good luck with re-habbing a kicker. I just had to give up on one after a broken wrist, bruised ribs and a full double-barrelled chest kick. NOT the way to increase your breast size, let me assure you. He also came after me with full intent and these were separate incidents, months apart. This may be a can of worms you are better off not opening.

ETA: The cowboy who bought him knew just what he was buying and was better equipped to handle the problem than me.

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 9:55 AM (#111149 - in reply to #111148)

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 9:55 AM (#111150 - in reply to #111148)

Originally written by dobesgalore on 2009-09-27 9:54 AM

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 9:56 AM (#111151 - in reply to #111148)

Originally written by dobesgalore on 2009-09-27 9:54 AM

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 10:04 AM (#111153 - in reply to #111147)

Yep, I know what you are saying. Until I find him(If I find him), it would be a very slow process, just tring to build up trust. It may take years before I could even touch him. So much mental damage has been done. I may NEVER be able to saftly do anything with him, and that would be fine to. I want him here with me, so at least I know he will never go to slaughter. I was the very first person to see, and touch him.

Also, sorry about the messed up posts. I messed it up!! A first timer!

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-27 11:12 AM (#111157 - in reply to #111145)

Extreme Veteran

Why would you want to take on such a Problem?  And with children around.   I think you should think this over some more.  Maybe your better off not finding him...for your own good.  Think with your head & not your heart.  I know it's tuff, but sometimes you just have to turn and walk away from a very bad, not to mention..Heart Breaking situation.  Good Luck with what ever you plan to do.
dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 3:59 PM (#111165 - in reply to #111157)

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 4:05 PM (#111166 - in reply to #111157)

Originally written by sinful on 2009-09-27 11:12 AM

Why would you want to take on such a Problem?  And with children around.   I think you should think this over some more.  Maybe your better off not finding him...for your own good.  Think with your head & not your heart.  I know it's tuff, but sometimes you just have to turn and walk away from a very bad, not to mention..Heart Breaking situation.  Good Luck with what ever you plan to do.
My husband dosn't want me even looking for him, and if I was to find him he's not coming to the house. Its so hard knowing what a good horse he was to start with, and knowing what someone has done to him to cause this. It breaks my heart. My mind races. What if he gets sent to a sale, and sold to killers? That just kills me to think it.......
islandponies
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-27 4:18 PM (#111167 - in reply to #111145)

New User

I respect what you are doing very much. When we breed an animal we are responsible for it being alive. The number of perfectly good horses going to slaughter nowadays shows that many breeders are not as responsible as you. I hope you find the horse and are able to rehab him. If not, you can retire him to pasture. If he is too dangerous for that, you can have him humanely euthanized. Even if a lot of people think you are being foolish or overly sentimental, you will be able to feel good about your integrity and responsibility. Good luck!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-09-27 4:19 PM (#111168 - in reply to #111145)

Expert

If he is that dangerous, I'd say everyone is better off had he been sold to the killers. I value human life over a horse anyday. Somethings cannot be fixed and this horse might be one of them. Listen to your husband.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-09-27 7:01 PM (#111174 - in reply to #111145)

Expert

Our neighbors had a horse they raised and rode for some years, he was just a peach.  Then, in a weeks time, he became very unpredictable and dangerous, savage,    putting his owner in the hospital. He was so violent they suspected rabies, and had him put down humanely, and autopsy revealed a brain tumor.  He couldn't help his behavior, and they couldn't help him.  I only bring this up to say that you might take comfort in the possibility that he has not been brutalized, but may have a physiological reason for the changes in his character....hopefully fixable, probably not, but perhaps at least not from human abuse...good luck in the future...
walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-09-27 7:35 PM (#111176 - in reply to #111145)

good luck, i hope you find him.  just goes to show you what can happen when good Horses end up  with the wrong owners .     it would,nt hurt to contact http://www.netposse.com/  ???  

a couple years ago I was given a 2 yr old ,unmanageable Horse . he was dangerous, hot-headed and very spooky.  the owners  had  got him as a weaniling becouse He was  SO DARN CUTE , by the time he was 2 they could,nt  even get a halter on him.   long story short....He is as sweet as a puppy and the most calm laid back 5 yr old , not a mean bone in his whole Body !!!    just had the wrong owners....it does happen !

Edited by walkersandweims 2009-09-27 7:44 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-27 9:33 PM (#111180 - in reply to #111145)

Expert

For the safety of your family I pray you never find this horse.  Good intentions get horse people killed every day.  Think with your mind, not your heart!  Why would you want to even be around such a monster?

Remember the horse he used to be and MOVE ON!  There are lots of good horses out there that don't need fixing.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-09-28 7:54 AM (#111188 - in reply to #111145)

Expert

Friend of mine neighbor whom is a roper/farrier x bull rider etc.has started many many colts raised a colt out of a T/bred.He FREEZE brands all of his horses.The mare wasn't the most reliable but good looking.He did not like her other then her good looks.He said she was not honest.Stallion that sired the colt was a  good tempered using horse.Anyhow the colt was alright until started under saddle.Would buck as soon as cinch tightened.Would buck until exhausted.Catch his breath and buck some more.This went on several times a week for over a month.Once he tried leaving a saddle on him all day.Thought he'd die from exhaustion and took it off after several hours.He never got a foot in a stirrup.He took him and his dam over 100 miles away to a Saturday night sale.Sold colt without papers and as NOT started.Few years go by.He now shoes part time as he was mostly retired.He goes to a boarding barn to do ONE horse.Gal says thought I'd tell you there is a good looking bay horse here with your brand.He finally goes and looks in a paddock and son of gun its that colt all grown of course.Just got him in.Well he STILL was a bucker! Had even been tried for a rodeo string but couldn't ditch good bronc riders.He was pretty much worthless.He was there a few weeks,got sold and a month later was back again.He's gone from there now.Maybe he finally made it to Mexico.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-09-28 10:36 AM (#111195 - in reply to #111167)

Expert

"When we breed an animal we are responsible for it being alive."

I'd say it is something kin to adoption,only,when you sell something,be it an animal,house,car,whatever,you can't control what happens in the future.

I'm glad I don't feel responsible for the horses I've raised and sold,I passed that on to others and have since  moved on.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-09-28 3:56 PM (#111206 - in reply to #111145)

Expert

I agree with cowgirl here. I have bred a few horses, started them and then sold them. I always try to find a suitable match but you just never know. I might feel bad it didn't work but never responsible. Then there are horses that just aren't good to be around using horses. In my mind, if you get that horse back and he hurts someone, you are now responsible for a injury that could have been avoided. Is that worth it?
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-09-28 4:08 PM (#111207 - in reply to #111145)

Elite Veteran

I understand your wanting to "make things right", but I agree with the other posters and let this horse go his own way...  Some supposedly vicious horses DO rehab and become sweethearts.. but I think this is the exception rather than the rule.. I would not want to risk mine or my children's health or welfare trying to fix something you did not break..  I realize fully that horses are not humans, but  how many sex offenders and murderers REALLY "get right with God"?  The horse is not a rationalizer like a human, but acts out of experience or instinct.. as do many murderers and/or sex offenders.. It is not something they can easily quit either..  You would never be able to trust him..
dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-29 8:44 AM (#111229 - in reply to #111145)

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-29 8:44 AM (#111230 - in reply to #111145)

Frankie001%
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2009-09-30 7:31 AM (#111265 - in reply to #111145)

Veteran

When your horse gives birth to a colt or filly you always want the best.  The best color, breed, temperate, and other stuff.  When you sell the baby you want the best for both (the owner and the horse).  You can only control what you can control - nothing else.  When you hear things going wrong/or went wrong if course you feel upset.  This is out of your control and you can't change what has happened.  You should listen to others and remind yourself you did your best.  Stop trying to find what you might not or should not want to find.  I feel for you but I'm sure you can put your energy towards other things.  If you still want to find him "Good Luck" with your search and be careful.  I don't want to read how this horse put you or your family in the hospital. 
dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-30 12:49 PM (#111273 - in reply to #111145)

dobesgalore
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-30 12:57 PM (#111277 - in reply to #111145)

Well, I contacted the APHA, and it turns out that noone has transferd him, so he is still in our name. IF(and a big if) I find him, would he still be leaglly ours? I would have to have a copy of his papers sent to me for proof. And as a past poster suggested I am going to place him on netposse.com as well. Thank you all for your commets on this. Of course, if I do run him down and get him back, I would not even make an attempt to do anything with him other than keep him fed. Yes, I am thinking with my heart but I am also prepared to be very cautious until I find out just how severe the problem really is. Thanks everybody!!
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-30 7:29 PM (#111286 - in reply to #111145)

Extreme Veteran

you say his papers have not been transfered out of your name?   Doesn't matter,  He's not yours.  Papers or no papers.  Sorry.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)