'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
shortwall

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-16 11:54 AM
5 replies, 5274 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-09-15 9:16 PM (#110728)
Subject: shortwall

Regular

I have been reading the old posts on DIY Lq but wanted to find out how many of you have a small dressing room, like a two foot shortwall, maybe 6 ft longwall, and have converted this area into a sleeping area.  My daughter and I like to camp, and she barrel races so we are on the road some but not a lot.  I have gotten a lot of ideas from the posts on here, but most everyone talks about a 4 ft shortwall.  Have any of you converted this small of a dressing room?  We aren't looking at expensive alum trailers, trying to decide  between a 1998 steel S & H or a 2003 steel CM.  All we are wanting in the dressing room is a few cabinets, an ac and lighting.  I was thinking about a cowboy shower in the first horse stall, the CM has an escape door, the S & H does not, the price difference between the two is about $1500.00.  I would have to put a rear tack in both, the CM has slats on head and rear, the S & H has drop downs on the head so the wall is solid to add the rear tack.  My idea of the rear tack is to get it out of the dressing room.  THanks for any input.  Lou

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-09-15 11:15 PM (#110731 - in reply to #110728)
Subject: RE: shortwall

Extreme Veteran

I say go as big as you can now, because you will find yourself cramped real soon. I have a 6ft short wall, 7' 6" wide and it's real tight tight for two small people.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-15 11:33 PM (#110732 - in reply to #110728)

Expert

The problem of a two foot short wall is two people can't stand in it at the same time.  Change clothes, dig around in the boot box, make a pot of coffee, etc.  One person will have to stay on the bed or out of the way.  A four foot shortwall is do-able yet able to have a few storage spaces or counter top.
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-09-16 6:37 AM (#110739 - in reply to #110728)

Elite Veteran

When i first started looking to replace my old CM Odessy, I saw an ad from a lady that had an old (90's) sundowner that she had converted the front tack into a mini LQ.. When I say mini, I mean MINI!!! But it was cute and that was what started me on my hunt.. She had a small AC in the roof, had a custom built cot to follow the slant wal.. I thought it folded up against the wall when not in use, but I don't remember.. She also had some custom shelving (nothing fancy) that was  mounted to the wall to hold a mini refridge, a wall-mounted fold-down table top..  and a portapotti that slid under the bed.. To top it all off, she had a small awning on the tack room door side.. The trailer was only a 2-horse and she said she pretty much camped alone.. But it really appealed to my sense of gadgetry and I've been on a mission ever since.. I didn't buy it because it was too high-priced in my opinion, even tho I liked it... I eventually found a Hart that was 10 years YOUNGER (would have been brand new about the time I saw the ad for the used sundowner) for cheaper..... Good luck with your quest..
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-16 10:38 AM (#110743 - in reply to #110728)

Regular

I have a friend who has a three foot shortwall in her 4Star. It is very nicely done but very small. One person really which was her intention. But she did have a walk through door put in. She sweeps out the back, puts down a rug and then doubles her living space. She has a two horse slant.
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-09-16 11:54 AM (#110745 - in reply to #110728)

Extreme Veteran

Just like the previous post, I have a 3ft short wall dressing room converted to a small LQ.  The door is on the short wall on the driver's side of the trailer.  Hubby and I converted the space with insulation and bead board panelling.  The long wall has cabinets and counter space on the bottom, wall cabinets above, a "utility" cabinet in the slant wall corner with an 18 gallon water tank.  I have a pass through door to the 2horse slant compartment which I clean out upon unloading my horse and use to set up a porta potti and Coleman Hot Water on Demand unit for showering.  I use a cut off shower curtain to cover the windows in the horse compartment.  I have a rear tack for my feed and equipment.  My trailer also has an escape door in the horse area which makes it easier to keep the LQ clean.  I don't have a boot box as it would take up too much room in the LQ.  Hubby made a nice little ladder which rests on the gooseneck and which I can easily slide into the gooseneck to get it out of the way.  It's a nice setup for one, very cozy for two!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)