'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
NATDA Convention, great education, how long can a diesel run on gas?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-21 7:23 PM
8 replies, 4427 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-12 1:29 AM (#110609)
Subject: NATDA Convention, great education, how long can a diesel run on gas?

Elite Veteran

We're here, come visit. Lots of exhibitors, education and excitement. We had Paso Fino's entertaining us, see the opening pictures, http://www.mrtrailer.com/cushiontour.htm more tomorrow.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-15 10:16 PM (#110730 - in reply to #110609)
Subject: RE: NATDA Convention, Now

Elite Veteran

Pictures are all up, it was great meeting so many folks from here. many install articles will come from the NATDA convention. On the road again, just me and Whillie, buying cheap diesel in Missouri. Had fun setting on the banks of the Ohio, watching big river boats go by at sunset. http://www.mrtrailer.com/cushiontour.htm
Topar Trailers
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-19 8:57 AM (#110857 - in reply to #110730)
Subject: RE: NATDA Convention, Now

New User

NATDA trip was a success for me.  I finally got to put a face to the voice of people that I've talked to over the phone for the last 5 years.  I also met lots of dealers that are just a phone call away if I need something in their area.  The trade show was fun to walk around and see all the manufacturers products that were on display.  The daily conferences and workshops were a wealth of knowledge of different aspects of the trailer business. 

Mr Truck....aka Mr Gadget had all his goodies on display and for sale.  He even got the guys at MaxBrake to setup me up with their brake control unit which we plan to install in my Dodge and have a review on later this month.  I believe Kent will also have a story about his idea to invent an additive that converts gas to diesel.    He came up with the idea on his drive back home to Colorado when he got confused at the gas fillup, first test, no bueno.  Spill the beans, you're only human!

Last but not least, finally had the time to meet the brains behind HTW and was told I monopolized their afternoon workshop.  No one else was asking or answering questions, someone had to speak up.  Good meeting you Dave and Rick and of course everyone else I ran into in Louisville.  I look forward to next years meeting and wish they would move it from city to city each year.  Vegas anyone, c'mon at least Reno for us with the itch to gamble.  Rumor has it we're stuck in Louisville for awhile???  Anyone care to comment...shoot me an email at kyle@topartrailers.com

Edited by Topar Trailers 2009-09-19 8:58 AM
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-19 11:27 PM (#110873 - in reply to #110609)
Subject: RE: NATDA Convention, pictures, see the Slime Clown

Elite Veteran

Yep Kyle, my test is proving there are only 3 states out of 48 that have green pumps for diesel and gas. In 2006 when Ultra Low Diesel first came out, it had yellow pumps and handles for awhile. Now everything is Ultra Low Diesel with mostly green handles.

And thanks Kyle for allowing me to humiliate myself with the story I only told to a few ex friends. But this trip was educational as on the way up. I stopped at Popup Hitch in Kansas to load more displays, a pin on my coupler came out and dropped trailer #2 on the pavement at 70 mph. Glad I had the tongue jack all the way up, as using the trailer brake controller kept the flatbed inline behind the horse trailer until I could get stopped. Used a bolt this time in the coupler instead the quick pin. Only lost 15 minutes with little damage.

Had a great show at NATDA, in the 3 years I've been on tour at expo's around the country, never ran my truck battery down until this year. I guess we ran the gadgets a day too long. The truck batteries were too low to boost so we had to switch the truck batteries with the deep cell batteries on the trailers.

Back on the road two hours late and low on fuel because of fire marshal rules inside expo buildings, 100 miles into Indiana, with fuel light on I pulled in at Corydon. First station didn't have diesel, they directed me to their second station. Glad to get there as I have glided into fuel stations a couple of times on fumes. Saw a diesel truck fueling up, pulled in swinging my two trailers around to the last pump, left the truck running to charge the batteries and grabbed the green handle. I thought the nosel was small, but it didn't set off the warning as that side of my brain fell asleep replaying the events of the week.

You can figure it out from there, knocking noise, smoke and no power. I babied it to the Ford store next door, still not knowing exactly what the problem was. Next day the Ford tech asked if I put gas in it. Surprised and forgetting to grab my receipt the night before, I went to the station and got that sick feeling when I saw "regular gas" on the pump I used. I asked the station clerk about it and she said it happens 3 or 4 times a year.

When I sold trucks, I worried about lot tech's putting gas in the new diesel trucks I sold. Never done did this before. With all the trips I do across the country, I usually buy diesel at truck stops but in the RV/auto islands as they are usually the same price for credit cards as they charge the big rigs for cash price. Usually I look at the pump a couple of times before fueling.

I guess I'm human Kyle, almost forgot. All it takes is a distraction, like being tired. Another blessing was, my auto insurance paid for the repair including my hotel. I just paid the deductable for being stupid. Yes I'm happy with Esurance, besides my wife and daughters annual accidents. Gas took out 4 injectors, fuel filters were due anyway, all told $2450. But an important lesson with minimal damage.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2009-09-20 11:13 AM (#110877 - in reply to #110609)
Subject: RE: NATDA Convention, great education, how long can a diesel run on gas?

Elite Veteran

Thanks for sharing the gas/diesel story, I've always wondered what would happen if I made that mistake, now I know.  
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-09-20 11:37 AM (#110881 - in reply to #110609)
Subject: RE: NATDA Convention, great education, how long can a diesel run on gas?

Expert

Man, that does sound like an educational trip. Those green pump nozzle covers have ruined alot of injectors and injection pumps.

quote.... And thanks Kyle for allowing me to humiliate myself with the story I only told to a few ex friends.!!!

WHOA.... Better watch what you say and who you say it to and in front of, it will come back to haunt you...!! (did I just say that!!)

Topar Trailers
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-20 11:55 AM (#110882 - in reply to #110609)

New User

See Mr Truck...you helped educate a few more people on the subject. I never knew what damage would happen running gas through a diesel. You were the last person I ever thought I'd hear of filling up gas in a diesel. My dad did it back in the 90s but somehow figured it out before he started his Dodge. I still can't believe your insurance paid for as you put it "being stupid". If you had to foot the whole bill I probably wouldn't have brought it up...since it would be a pretty sore subject. I guess if my injectors are going out, I'll just fill up with gas by mistake and have my insurance cover it...lol. Look at it this way....you got new injectors and an extended vacation for what....$250-$500?

Back to the subject......is anyone going to tell us where the NATDA Show will be in 2010? Louisville or Reno? I heard both mentioned when asking around.

Kyle Shimizu (one of Mr Truck's ex friends)
Topar Trailers
www.topartrailers.com

Edited by Topar Trailers 2009-09-20 12:01 PM

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-20 2:09 PM (#110890 - in reply to #110609)

Elite Veteran

I still love you Kyle, but forget lunch, I need to save up for future mistakes on the road. Next trip is OK for the Women and Horses Expo at the Lazy G. Need to find stickers that state, "diesel only stupid," for my truck or get a personal assistant.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-09-21 7:23 PM (#110946 - in reply to #110609)

Elite Veteran

BP gas stations here in the Midwest have green handles. Very easy to put gas into the diesel tank if you are not paying close attention. I've told the attendant about the green handle confusion and she said the company's logo is green and they want the handles to match!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)