'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Late Trained Quarter Horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-11 7:49 PM
5 replies, 3496 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-10 8:10 AM (#110535)
Subject: Late Trained Quarter Horse

Elite Veteran

I bought a 6 yr old QH last summer. He had 30 days on him. They used a junior cow bit. I started riding him on trail and slowly getting him exposed to other horses on trail. He wanted to come out of his skin when other horses were around and wouldn't listen to my aids. The bit felt "brakeless." I switched to a TomThumb and he seemed to respond better. But, even at a year later, I find myself still having to deal with this. To get his mind off the other horses, I turn him in a circle or take him off trail and go around some trees. He is a great, smart horse but is strong minded. This quirk with him being around groups of horses is his only "flaw." If he is ridden 2-3 hours on trail, he's usually fine around other horses. Is he ever going to outgrow this? Do I need to change his bit or the way I handle him?

Wet saddle blankets, wet saddle blankets..........

Edited by Gone 2009-09-10 8:13 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-09-10 8:27 AM (#110536 - in reply to #110535)
Subject: RE: Late Trained Quarter Horse

Expert

Only time will tell what works with this exact horse, but on the other hand you found out why he only got 30 days on him in the first place.

Since he seems to calm down after a few hours I'd think that over time with lots of work he might eventually come around to your way of thinking, but he may be 14 by then.

You could also try ponying the snot out of him to break him fast of this dangerous habit.

Edited by huntseat 2009-09-10 8:29 AM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-09-11 6:03 PM (#110591 - in reply to #110535)

Expert

Nothing to do with the bit.You need to teach him some maneuvers.Flexing,flexing in the rib cage.Backing,side passes,crossing over on the fronts.Rears,mini rollacks etc.When he starts to get scared put his MIND to work.Fast and furious.Get his mind out of that nowhere/scared mode and demand he THINKS and has to work his mind on what you are asking of him.Snaffle bit usually and maybe some spurs or crop and let him know you want that head now or that crossover now.Move his feet an control his mind.He's got to have the maneuvers down pat in a arena/round pen first.Maybe someone else can explain it differently or in a different light.I have been trying something on a Walking horse stallion that shows how to get them back to earth and take their mind out of the reaction mode to the thinking mode.I'll post about that later.Its been a remarkable transformation. If its done correctly and by a real pro its only is a matter of a few weeks and he'll be a different animal.He's GREEN and has taught very little.If you are green at teaching,schooling basic maneuevers its just that much worse. His AGE has NOTHING to do with it.

Edited by hounddog 2009-09-11 8:58 PM
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-11 7:22 PM (#110594 - in reply to #110535)

Elite Veteran

A green rider I am not but I am not a trainer. He backs well, his side passes need work. I make him think as much as I can. The problem which is the worse for him is when there are horses coming single file down the trail and he smells and hears them but faintly sees them. If we are the smaller group we have to give way and take to the side of the trail which can be a small hill. I can't really correct him when this happens.....If this has any meaning....he was raised around a heard of 50 horses running a 150 acre field.

I like this horse....I need to be his only rider in order to make progress. It is like a 3 year old just broke out. One rider needs to be on that horse for at least a full year to engrain what was taught. It is so easy to undue training and if there are "people" riding this horse, the horse can be ruined.

Edited by Gone 2009-09-11 7:47 PM
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-09-11 7:43 PM (#110596 - in reply to #110535)

Expert

To to the round pen for some schooling and more then side passes but I think you get the idea before the trails.A few weeks of a hour or so a day of maneuvers then the trails and when his mind starts to leave you put it to work and get him back to you.Just like a scared kid and making him color and follow the lines instead of shaking and crying.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-09-11 7:49 PM (#110597 - in reply to #110535)

Elite Veteran

Edited by Gone 2009-09-11 8:48 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'