'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DOG QUESTION........ NON HORSE RELATED

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-18 8:28 AM
27 replies, 8366 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-13 8:50 AM (#109349)
Subject: DOG QUESTION........ NON HORSE RELATED

Expert

This may be out of place, being posted in a horse forum, but many of you horse owners also own dogs. I have a question about flea medication.

One of our Jacks has very bad flea allergies, and cannot tolerate the application of most types of medication between the shoulder blades, onto the skin. The dip/ wash medications also bother him as well. With a minimal success, we have used Dawn for bathing and flea abatement, but it does little good for his allergies.

Yesterday at a Vet's visit, I was told about a product called "COMFORTIS". This is a pill that is swallowed by your pet and is supposed to kill adult fleas for one month. In an Internet search, I found that it does not kill larvae, and supposedly may involve, non life threatening side affects.

I have never heard of this product, and hate to give it unknowingly to my pet, without knowing more about it. The vet said "it won't hurt him". In my mind, that doesn't generate much of an endorsement.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this product?

Thank you             Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-08-13 9:23 AM (#109350 - in reply to #109349)
Subject: RE: DOG QUESTION........ NON HORSE RELATED

Extreme Veteran

I started using Comfortis about 2 months ago and it has been a god send for my dogs. On my vets recommendation, I first gave the dogs a dose of "Capstar" which begins killing the fleas within 30 minutes but has no residual effect. The next day, I gave the dogs the "Comfortis" and it seems to be working great. I still see them scratching from time to time, but I have not seen a flea on any of them. The comfortis package states that it starts killing fleas in 30 minutes as well so I am not sure if giving the Capstar first is a true advantage but I was desperate so I did what my vet suggested. My dogs are outside dogs and nothing I had tried previously worked at all so I am happy with the results. I have not noticed any side effects for my dogs either.

Edited by lesliemal 2009-08-13 9:26 AM
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2009-08-13 4:26 PM (#109356 - in reply to #109349)

Extreme Veteran

I just started using it this month on the recommendation from the vet. I gave it to them 2 weeks ago and so far no side effects and it seems to be doing the job. The dogs are sure a lot happier. If you read the possible side effects of any medicine you wouldn't want to take them!
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-08-13 7:41 PM (#109358 - in reply to #109349)

Extreme Veteran

Try citrus oil. Buy a dozen oranges, peel them and process the peels in a blender. Add a quart of water and the peels to a sauce pan and gently heat the orange peels to release the oils. Let cool, strain, and pour over your dog. Work the mixture into the animals arm pits and around the ears. Smells great, no skin irritation, and works well. My vet gave me this tip when my dog could not tolerate the chemical remedies.

Marla
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-08-13 9:28 PM (#109361 - in reply to #109349)

Elite Veteran

you might also try green irish spring (the bar).. it has worked well for us at other times.. However i'm going to ask our vet about comfortis, too.. we have too many outside dogs to bathe them every week..
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-13 9:37 PM (#109362 - in reply to #109349)

Expert

Originally written by gard on 2009-08-13 8:50 AM

This may be out of place, being posted in a horse forum, but many of you horse owners also own dogs. I have a question about flea medication.

One of our Jacks has very bad flea allergies, and cannot tolerate the application of most types of medication between the shoulder blades, onto the skin. The dip/ wash medications also bother him as well. With a minimal success, we have used Dawn for bathing and flea abatement, but it does little good for his allergies.

Yesterday at a Vet's visit, I was told about a product called "COMFORTIS". This is a pill that is swallowed by your pet and is supposed to kill adult fleas for one month. In an Internet search, I found that it does not kill larvae, and supposedly may involve, non life threatening side affects.

I have never heard of this product, and hate to give it unknowingly to my pet, without knowing more about it. The vet said "it won't hurt him". In my mind, that doesn't generate much of an endorsement.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this product?

Thank you             Gard

Hey gard, fancy meeting you here!

I asked the better half about the comfortis and she and our vet said that since it does NOT kill the eggs, why use it?  She handles all of our dog stuff (15 as of now) and she has had good luck some type of garlic pills.  She is going to find the inforomation on it Friday and I will pass it on.  We use it for a while but with 15 dogs it was getting a little pricey.  We have been luck this year and have not had a bad outbreak of fleas or ticks....

HTB

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-08-13 10:32 PM (#109364 - in reply to #109349)

Elite Veteran

I've used it, and it seems to work.  I rotate flea med's like horse wormers. 
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-14 11:36 AM (#109374 - in reply to #109349)

Veteran

We've used Comfortis for about a year now on an English Setter and a Springer Spaniel. We had a bad flea problem in the back year due to neighbors dogs and yard conditions and the liquid meds spread on the back had just stopped working. The Comfortis is doing a great job. These dogs are outside all day and sleep in the house at night.

I also was concerned about the med interaction but have not had any problems. I give the comfortis on the first of the month and heartworm med on the 15ht so as to have a little margin there.

Ike

Edited by Ike 2009-08-14 11:37 AM
Sassybelle
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2009-08-14 1:08 PM (#109380 - in reply to #109349)

New User

We started using Comfortis a few months ago- our dogs swim all the time, and get a bath at least once a week so the topicals weren't lasting. Everyonce in a while you'll spot a flea, which we'll spray but it's worked great for how often they are exposed to fleas! For allergies, I have to give benadryl to my shep. mix. She loves to hunt, but hasn't adjusted to the heat & plants in Texas- so she'd come home all puffy and itching. She's 55lb and we give 1-2 as needed. Check with your vet, yours are a lot smaller, but you may be able to give half a pill and the generics work well so its an affordable solution!

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-15 8:22 AM (#109421 - in reply to #109361)

Expert

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2009-08-13 10:28 PM

you might also try green Irish spring (the bar).. it has worked well for us at other times.. However I'm going to ask our vet about comfortis, too.. we have too many outside dogs to bathe them every week..

I've been using Irish Spring for years. Being of Irish descent, I'm obliged to. This has helped greatly. I no longer have flea infested arm pits, and since I don't lick my butt anymore, my wife is much less embarrased to take me out to public functions.

BOL Gard

Edited by gard 2009-08-15 8:36 AM
ingta59
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-08-15 12:13 PM (#109428 - in reply to #109349)

Just heard of Comfortis today. My farrier was here and said he uses it on his miniature schnauzer. That dog goes on all his jobs with him, so he is around a lot of untreated barn animal. Had fleas that Frontline was not getting rid of. He swears by the Comfortis.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 10:34 AM (#109567 - in reply to #109428)

Expert

A follow up to my question about COMFORTIS. First, thank you all for your input. I was pleased to hear that others were using this product and were satisfied.

After reading your reports, I gave our Jack one of the pills. He chewed and swallowed it without difficulty, and exhibited no adverse reaction to its ingestion. It has been a few days since it was introduced, and I have only noticed a slight reduction in his flea itching and over all comfort level. Again, most of his problem is caused by allergies to flea bites, which goes beyond just a localized itching problem.

I have attempted to medicate him with generic Benedryill, and it causes him to be lethargic, vomit and go off his food. So I've stopped.

COMFORTIS is supposed to start working within a half an hour of first eating. I would be surprised that any wholesale flea eradications would quickly follow. He is improving, and that's a plus.

One other issue is cost. From our vet, a one month supply, one pill is $22 each. When I researched this product on line, there were various sources that sell it for almost half when you purchase a 6 month supply. It is a prescription drug, so you will need a script from your vet to place an order. If a family had a herd of dogs like Hogtownboss, this medication could be quite expensive.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your experiences.

Gard

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-08-18 1:09 PM (#109573 - in reply to #109421)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2009-08-15 8:22 AM

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2009-08-13 10:28 PM

you might also try green Irish spring (the bar).. it has worked well for us at other times.. However I'm going to ask our vet about comfortis, too.. we have too many outside dogs to bathe them every week..

I've been using Irish Spring for years. Being of Irish descent, I'm obliged to. This has helped greatly. I no longer have flea infested arm pits, and since I don't lick my butt anymore, my wife is much less embarrased to take me out to public functions.

BOL Gard

52 Well, see?! I TOLD you that it did a good job!! My regards to your wife.. 27 LOL!!  

Edited by ridingarocky 2009-08-18 1:14 PM
lesliemal
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-08-18 7:22 PM (#109606 - in reply to #109349)

Extreme Veteran

I ordered the medication through allivet.com. This site was recommended by my vet as the cheapest place she had found it. They contacted her and she ok'd the prescrip and they shipped it directly to me.
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2009-08-19 8:20 AM (#109634 - in reply to #109606)

Veteran

Doesn't look like it does anything for ticks, though.

j&j
Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-19 4:30 PM (#109658 - in reply to #109567)

Veteran

Gard, my Eng. Setter was scratching, itching... an we thought it was flea allergy. After Comfortis it got better because the fleas were gone but she continued to scratch and bite sometimes with no sign of fleas.

A vet inspection and some test led to a yeast infection in her skin.  Shampoo and meds from our vet and she is fine.  Shampoo is Chlorhexidine PS available over the counter for about $35....and med prescrip. is Ketalconazole.

Its working great for us. Check with ur vet. Good Luck.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-08-19 5:55 PM (#109662 - in reply to #109658)

Expert

Originally written by Ike on 2009-08-19 5:30 PM

Gard, my Eng. Setter was scratching, itching... an we thought it was flea allergy. After Comfortis it got better because the fleas were gone but she continued to scratch and bite sometimes with no sign of fleas.

A vet inspection and some test led to a yeast infection in her skin.  Shampoo and meds from our vet and she is fine.  Shampoo is Chlorhexidine PS available over the counter for about $35....and med prescrip. is Ketalconazole.

Its working great for us. Check with ur vet. Good Luck.

I'll do exactly that! Thank you for the information.

Did your setter get hot spots at the base of her tail and chest? We have to these areas directly injected with a cortizone to give him some relief.

Gard

lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-08-20 12:21 AM (#109673 - in reply to #109662)

Veteran

Just a thought.... lots of dogs have food allergies that cause itching.  Corn, wheat and soy are some of the culprits.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-08-20 1:33 PM (#109689 - in reply to #109673)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by lindszo on 2009-08-20 12:39 AM

Just a thought.... lots of dogs have food allergies that cause itching.  Corn, wheat and soy are some of the culprits.

The worst food allergy is caused by the nitrates  from the chicken feces contained in the food.  If the bag says CHICKEN BY-PRODUCTS it contains chicken feces.   My old labrador was tested for everything under the sun for the scaley skin and weeping lesions on his skin.  Nothing worked to ease his suffering until an article in DOG magazine caught my eye.  It is hard to find feed that does not contain chicken by-products, so I feed my dog a ration of brown rice, mixed vegetables, and beef.  Within two weeks his skin was clear.

Marla

Jpro
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2009-08-20 5:24 PM (#109712 - in reply to #109349)

There are actually a lot of foods out there that don't contain chicken by products. But the other big culprit in food allergies is the corn. Most grocery store/ low cost dog foods contain ground yellow corn as the #1 or #2 ingredient.I had two yellow labs that had non-stop hotspots at the base of the tail. Vet first said flea allergies and wanted to do steroids for some relief. Same thing, none of the topicals fully helped. I didn't want to do steroids because of the long term damage they can do. Had a friend tell me about Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dog food (no corn). Started them on it and the problem almost instantly went away. Nutro has many varieties now that will accommodate all doge needs, issues and taste. They have three differnet lines of food that range in price, the Max, Natural Choice and Ultra (holistic) lines. There is also Van Patten's Natural Balance that does allergy formulas and regular no corn, no by-products formulas. There are a few others out there as well, but these are the two I stand behind for quality and affordability combined.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-08-20 8:12 PM (#109724 - in reply to #109712)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Jpro on 2009-08-20 4:24 PM

There are actually a lot of foods out there that don't contain chicken by products. But the other big culprit in food allergies is the corn. Most grocery store/ low cost dog foods contain ground yellow corn as the #1 or #2 ingredient.I had two yellow labs that had non-stop hotspots at the base of the tail. Vet first said flea allergies and wanted to do steroids for some relief. Same thing, none of the topicals fully helped. I didn't want to do steroids because of the long term damage they can do. Had a friend tell me about Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dog food (no corn). Started them on it and the problem almost instantly went away. Nutro has many varieties now that will accommodate all doge needs, issues and taste. They have three differnet lines of food that range in price, the Max, Natural Choice and Ultra (holistic) lines. There is also Van Patten's Natural Balance that does allergy formulas and regular no corn, no by-products formulas. There are a few others out there as well, but these are the two I stand behind for quality and affordability combined.

I guess that Tucumcari is just too small and too isolated to have access to those feeds.  It is impossible to find by-product free dog food here.

Marla

Ike
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-21 9:42 AM (#109765 - in reply to #109662)

Veteran

I'll do exactly that! Thank you for the information.

Did your setter get hot spots at the base of her tail and chest? We have to these areas directly injected with a cortizone to give him some relief.

Gard

Hot spots at tail base and on legs. Went thru the shot thing too....that always worked for a month or so then the scratching and hot spots would return. Sulfadine would provide temporary relief.

Also tried every diff kind of food thinking it was food allergy, but it did not make any difference either.

She is on Purina One Lamb now.....

After all this my vet decided to try the specific medicated shampoo and med I mentioned above and its working great. Took several trips before she hit on this treatment though.

Dog is back to her old self now and can sleep through the night without getting up an prancing all around the house itching. He hair is growing back too.....should have her nice feathers back by hunting season...so they can catch some cockleburrs.  

walkersandweims
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-08-21 12:53 PM (#109779 - in reply to #109349)

I  own a dog grooming business and have been at it 20 years now.  I have only come across One  dog that has the same problem as yours.  when this dog  comes into the shop I can,t even use  any flea treatment at all in the shop on that day !   Never seen anything like ti before.

I  NEVER  use any so called "new " product on the market unless it has been out there   for well over a year and has established itself to be safe .   NEVER on my own dogs  .

as for what you can use on your sensative Pooch .  MOST  of the Puppy shampoo,s and the Tearless shampoos will kill fleas even tho they  are not advertised as a flea killer .   those Milder shampoo,s  are very  safe and  can even be used Once a week if neccesary. just lather Up your dog and let it set on him 5-10 Min , make sure you lather the Head and Butt area first as  the fleas like to try and make a run for it in those safe areas . 

I NEVER RECOMENT ANY DISH DETERGENTS .  and the cheaper over the counter ones usually irritate the skin.   spend a little more for a good brand( not Hartz).

good Luck

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-08-23 8:15 PM (#109885 - in reply to #109356)

Expert

If you read the possible side effects of any medicine you wouldn't want to take them!

No kidding.  One of my old asthma meds (advair) says one of its side effects is suddenly dropping dead.  That is one side effect I would like to aviod!  So now I use singulair.

rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-10-15 11:12 PM (#111917 - in reply to #109349)

Well, sometimes you aren't looking for an answer and find one one anyway. Our Jack Russell has the same problem as Gard's. Used Frontline Plus, then Revolution. Both helped at first, but eventually these topicals had no effect on the fleas and the subsequent biting and scratching. In September, we took our dog in to our vet for boarding while we were out of town. Since I had read this post earlier, I told my husband to ask our vet about Comfortis. The vet gave us one pill, and it has been a godsend. No fleas, and very little biting and scratching. Our dog's skin has healed and the hair has grown back. The cost of one pill is about the same as one dose of Frontline Plus.Thanks Gard for bringing this subject up and thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)