'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hay Feeder Pad Site materials

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-05 7:17 AM
4 replies, 4039 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-08-02 9:29 PM (#108882)
Subject: Hay Feeder Pad Site materials

Veteran

After deliberating the pros and cons, I have decided to construct a mud proof "pad" for my 6 X 9 covered Frey Brothers hay feeder.  I board, and feed 14 horses from this feeder.  We compost our manure, and prior attempts at gravel, etc. have ended with too much of that in the compost.  We scrape manure and old hay with a backhoe bucket, have tried a york rake, etc.  Just want a cleaner alternative.  I know many of you will say the surface is too hard, but I think the amount of wasted hay we have from big bale feeding will result in a cushion at least for the front legs, and am willing to hazard that, as opposed to deep mud footing.

Any good suggestions will be appreciated -- asphalt?  concrete?  anything else I don't know about?  I have to be able to use big equipment to clean, so mats are out. Plan to score any surface for grip.

Thanks much.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-08-04 11:03 AM (#108945 - in reply to #108882)
Subject: RE: Hay Feeder Pad Site materials

Elite Veteran

I have a feed lot that was originally used for cattle feeding. It is 90' wide x 60' deep divided into two sections with one side being 60x60. All cement. My automatic waterer is in the divider. I will often set up my self feeders on the lots because of the ease of cleaning snow in the winter. My horses have never had foot or leg problems. Often, even in the summer you will find them standing on the cement by choice even if the feeder is out in the dirt lot or pasture. My belief is that horses will stand and move to where they want to be, but won't go where they are uncomfortable.

Don't worry about a cement pad, it should work well. I would steer away from asphalt. It can be hotter in the summer, softer and will break away easier if you don't keep the surround material well packed and solid around it. It would also be more prone to frost heaves than cement. Asphalt also needs maintenance of fresh oil or tar every year or so so and cement should be maintenance free.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-08-04 8:43 PM (#108981 - in reply to #108882)

Extreme Veteran

I installed a cement feeder pad about 20 years ago to combat sand colic.  No leg or hoof problems and no sand impaction since.

Marla

evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-08-05 7:16 AM (#108988 - in reply to #108981)

Veteran

Thanks!
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-08-05 7:17 AM (#108989 - in reply to #108945)

Veteran

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'