'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Your opinion needed PLEASE!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-06 3:45 PM
17 replies, 5844 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-29 6:05 PM (#108747)
Subject: Your opinion needed PLEASE!

Expert

Long story (trying to make it short)

We had a 7 year old paint mare that was badly abused as a yearling (tied down/ halter growing into her face) we felt bad for her and traded a horse trailer for her to give her a good home.  She had came around great and finally getting in your pockets like a pest.

I have another 5 year old paint gelding with no papers that we have had since he was a yearling and just a big pest as well, good ground manners would do just about anything form the ground, but I knew he was going to be a handful to break (we have his full bother and he was).  So this local trainer siad he would like a chance to do someting with the mare and if he could it would make a name for himself and if he decided he was ready to get rid of her we would get her back!.  So after a few weeks of talking we made a deal to let him have the paint mare to break the gelding (just mainly get him ridable so I could finish him, and NO time limit)  After 2 months he called and said he was not getting anywhere, bucking, running him into fences and I needed to make a pasture pet out of him.  I picked him up and he was almost 150lbs under the weight he was (because we had his teeth done the week before he was taken and weighed then)  He would not come to us, was hard to load and scared to death of everything.  I sent him to another trainer for a week and was told that "this horse was tought to buck".  So I called the first trainer back and had a few words and he said he would help me out on something else and I reminded him about the paint mare.  He still agreed we would get her back if he got rid of her. 

A few months later we find out from a lady friend of ours that was going to use that trainer, that when she went to check out his plce he was riding my paint gelding and just digging on him with large spurs the entire time she was waiting on him, then find out from another friend that the trainer had tied him to a tree for hours unattended!.  Now months later we still talk to him about the paint mare and he said he is doing OK with her, but his father said she bucks every time he rides her and they are going to TARP HER to make her stop!

So no we are down to trying to get her back, nothing in writing, but a hand full of witnesses that was around when the deal was made!

Do I get my mare back and tell everybody about his bad ways!

Do I forget about her and go down the road!

Do I just file in court and let a judge figure it out!

We have been getting pictures of other horses he has that have been left tied to trees, but can not get a exact time frame for the state to check him out.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2009-07-29 6:50 PM (#108748 - in reply to #108747)
Subject: RE: Your opinion needed PLEASE!

Extreme Veteran

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Ok as far as being tied to a tree, it is very common to tie a horse for hours especially in training. I tie mine up for a weekend if I am camping and all day if I am at a day show.

I think you mighthave a case in small claims. If you gave him a horse in exchange for training the other horse and he didn't do that then he may owe you the money for what it would cost to get the one broke. I doubt you can get the one back because you did give it to him. Unless you kept the papers???

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-30 9:15 AM (#108763 - in reply to #108748)

Expert

Originally written by laurie on 2009-07-29 6:50 PM

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Ok as far as being tied to a tree, it is very common to tie a horse for hours especially in training. I tie mine up for a weekend if I am camping and all day if I am at a day show.

I think you mighthave a case in small claims. If you gave him a horse in exchange for training the other horse and he didn't do that then he may owe you the money for what it would cost to get the one broke. I doubt you can get the one back because you did give it to him. Unless you kept the papers???

I tie my up too at rides or shows, but not nose to the tree just because the horse did not do what he was asking! I have contacted the local courts here to find out details on how and what I need to do to file. What is bas is we sent he a hand full of people/horses before the "real a**" started showing. He is all about telling you what you want to here, then all of that goes out the window. Waht this boils down to is he made the deal and then let his father get involved and that is when everything changed. His dads thinking is "speed training" the fater you can get them done the money money you can make! What he said word for word!
dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-07-30 11:27 AM (#108769 - in reply to #108747)

Veteran

"So after a few weeks of talking we made a deal to let him have the paint mare to break the gelding (just mainly get him ridable so I could finish him, and NO time limit) " Well he didn't get your gelding broke, he should've offered you just pay for the hay I used to feed the 2 horses and taken them both back. " So I called the first trainer back and had a few words and he said he would help me out on something else and I reminded him about the paint mare. He still agreed we would get her back if he got rid of her. " This sentence makes no sense to me at all. Sounds like he doesn't really know what he doing and I would get my mare back. In your post it said that "he wanted to make a name for himself." He needs to break his own horses to make mistakes on. If he can train horse his riding style and the way his horse moves and responds should be calling card to get started.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-07-30 9:24 PM (#108775 - in reply to #108747)

Elite Veteran

Just curious, how well did you know this "trainer?" Is he really an experienced trainer or was he just getting started? Did you do any research on him? That part might fall on you.

It doesn't sound like he fulfilled his end of the bargain. I might hook up the trailer, pay him a visit, and get my mare back. dawnb has a point in the fact you may have to pay him for feed, and maybe something for starting the mare. Either way the mare would be going home with me.

It's not unusual for a horse that has been sitting in the pasture, and is now getting worked on a daily basis to lose weight. Some trainers will even cut back feed on a horse that has a lot of spunk just to help bring them around. It's also fairly common to tie up a horse for long periods of time. Also helps to get some spunk out, and also teaches them to stand when tied. I would tie them short also to reduce the risk of injury from trying to pull or jerk the rope.

I'd still go get the mare.

hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-31 10:10 AM (#108792 - in reply to #108775)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2009-07-30 9:24 PM

Just curious, how well did you know this "trainer?" Is he really an experienced trainer or was he just getting started? Did you do any research on him? That part might fall on you.

It doesn't sound like he fulfilled his end of the bargain. I might hook up the trailer, pay him a visit, and get my mare back. dawnb has a point in the fact you may have to pay him for feed, and maybe something for starting the mare. Either way the mare would be going home with me.

It's not unusual for a horse that has been sitting in the pasture, and is now getting worked on a daily basis to lose weight. Some trainers will even cut back feed on a horse that has a lot of spunk just to help bring them around. It's also fairly common to tie up a horse for long periods of time. Also helps to get some spunk out, and also teaches them to stand when tied. I would tie them short also to reduce the risk of injury from trying to pull or jerk the rope.

I'd still go get the mare.

We met him a few years ago at a Stock Horse of Texas show and liked how his horses was working, talked with a few people that used him and started talking with him. I supplied the feed for my gelding and he would stand tied and ground tie with NO PROBLEMS at all before he went to the so called trainer house, so he did not need to be tought to stand tiedd, he knew how to do that!. We do all of the ground work before we even think about doing anything else.!
It was after the fact, that we found out that the horse he used in the stock horse compitions was already trained and he bought ready to go, even though he told us "he trained the hosre"! His website now states he has doen work with AL Dunning! I called Mr.Dunning myself and he has never hurd of this guy. He has also worked with Craig Cameron, but would not clean stalls like everyone else had to do.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-31 10:16 AM (#108793 - in reply to #108769)

Expert

" This sentence makes no sense to me at all. Sounds like he doesn't really know what he doing and I would get my mare back. In your post it said that "he wanted to make a name for himself." He needs to break his own horses to make mistakes on. If he can train horse his riding style and the way his horse moves and responds should be calling card to get started.

He has doen a little work with Craig Cameron and was on a couple of his Extreme Cowboy Races, but did not think he should have to clean stallds and feed his own horses like everybody else had to.  He also stated he has worked with Al Dunning also another lie!  The mare in question was used by Ryan Gengrich? in his 1st RDFTV program and this trainer in question wanted a chance to show Ryan up and try for his own TV spot.  We was told that he already had offers to do a show and he wanted a tough horse to use!

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-31 1:19 PM (#108803 - in reply to #108747)

Expert

It appears to me you went into this without really thinking about it. You didn't know this guy,didn't know if he could train and didn't exactly do your homework. You were getting something for nothing. I guess it didn't work out. So now what? I'd be speaking to trainer about how unhappy you are and are willing to let anyone else know of your opinion if the horse isn't returned. I'd be pointing out that he didn't live up to his end of the deal and now we want the horse back, no questions and no money. Lets just settle this and move on. However, if the terms of the deal were that you'd get the horse back when he is "ready to get rid of her",you might not ever get it back.He might not be "ready". You can try a reason with him but in the end,you made a poor deal and might have to live with the consequences.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-07-31 4:56 PM (#108810 - in reply to #108803)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2009-07-31 1:19 PM

It appears to me you went into this without really thinking about it. You didn't know this guy,didn't know if he could train and didn't exactly do your homework. You were getting something for nothing. I guess it didn't work out. So now what? I'd be speaking to trainer about how unhappy you are and are willing to let anyone else know of your opinion if the horse isn't returned. I'd be pointing out that he didn't live up to his end of the deal and now we want the horse back, no questions and no money. Lets just settle this and move on. However, if the terms of the deal were that you'd get the horse back when he is "ready to get rid of her",you might not ever get it back.He might not be "ready". You can try a reason with him but in the end,you made a poor deal and might have to live with the consequences.

We called a few people that said "they used him" and was happy. And we did not jump right into this deal, we talked back and forth for a few months and wathced him with some other horses he claimed he worked on. But after all of the we start really wathcing him and having people do some spy work for us and find out that the horses he claims to work on has already been trained by other people.

Yes, he is ready to get rid of her, he has talked about selling her as a bucking horse or sending her thru a sale barn!

I have a meeting with a lawyer Monday to find out just how much and what all I can do without any problems. His father told my better half that if we said anything about them he would file on us for slander! According to webster slander is only if you lie about what is being said or told. Our information is all FACTS and with witneses! (but I have not let his name out YET)
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2009-08-01 9:15 AM (#108826 - in reply to #108747)

Elite Veteran

I don't think in this day and age you can actually sue for slander...Pay the idiot and get your horse back. Go to some credible seminars and work with the horse yourself. We have paid "trainers" in the past, all they did is feed them and take our money. There are some good ones, but people like Ryan Gingerich are fluffy show boys... people like Chris Cox and Craig Cameron are real trainers, and their working seminars are well worth the money. If you want to throw money away, put it in a pile and burn it in a good campfire, OR.... buy a 6.0 Ford diesel truck..hahaha,like we did.Good luck.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-08-01 9:32 AM (#108829 - in reply to #108826)

Extreme Veteran

Economically, at the current price of horses, you'd be better off forgeting this transaction completely and go buy something already ready to go.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-08-03 8:47 AM (#108898 - in reply to #108747)

Elite Veteran

HTB- Keep us updated
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-08-03 9:17 AM (#108899 - in reply to #108747)

Expert

*sigh* just asking some people opinions and talking back and forth isn't what I'd call homework.All of your info was from other people.I used a trainer based on the reputation they had with other clients. I also had a contract. I also knew that if I saw the horse wasn't healthy,happy and progressing, I would take him home right then and there. No funny deals. Just money,contract and horse.You made a bad deal with someone you didn't know. You wanted something for nothing. No money changed hands,you were going to get a trained horse AND your other horse back in the deal. If they guy isn't ready to give the horse back, there isn't much you can do but chalk it up to a deal gone sour with no contract or try and pay the man for services rendered in exchange for the horse back.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-04 1:59 PM (#108959 - in reply to #108899)

Expert

Originally written by farmbabe on 2009-08-03 9:17 AM You wanted something for nothing.QUOTE] I would hardly say trading him a WELL papered and somewhat flashy PAINT MARE for breaking a 5 year old non-papered paint gelding (just to be ridable) is something for nothing! Like I said we talked to a few people that used him before. But later realize that the horses they had bought form him was ones that he had bought and was alreay trained! But he took the credit for training them!
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-04 2:03 PM (#108961 - in reply to #108829)

Expert

Originally written by bbsmfg3 on 2009-08-01 9:32 AM

Economically, at the current price of horses, you'd be better off forgeting this transaction completely and go buy something already ready to go.

With 14 horses total, I have others that are working more than ready to go.  But I am ready to get my paint horse going on the trials.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2009-08-08 8:58 AM (#109161 - in reply to #108747)

Elite Veteran

HTB- Did you meet with the lawyer? If so so what did he say. What's going on, I'm curious.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-08-10 12:41 PM (#109224 - in reply to #109161)

Expert

Originally written by genebob on 2009-08-08 8:58 AM

HTB- Did you meet with the lawyer? If so so what did he say. What's going on, I'm curious.

Yes we did.  He is drawing up a letter and we going to do a little advertizing for he guy on the back of our trailer and the local news paper.

Will keep you updated.

Last weekend at the Mounted Shooting (that my better half WON both days in level 1 and moved up to a level 2)  The guys in question walked right by me and did not say a word to me!  But waited till my better half got by herself and tried to start crap with her.

openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-09-06 3:45 PM (#110342 - in reply to #108747)

I dont like anything im hearing on this trainer!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)