'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help! Sand / impaction colic!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-08 1:23 PM
29 replies, 8883 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-23 11:27 AM (#108429)
Subject: Help! Sand / impaction colic!

Elite Veteran

Help!  Help!!  Help!  We have had 4 cases of impaction / sand colic at the barn where i board this week.. 2 of them fatal.. My girls so far are OK.  What is a (cheap) remedy/ tip/ solution/preventative for sand colic?.. Our horses are on pelleted feed twice a day and we've been putting out round bales in the pasture..  The horses stuffing themselves on the round bales and not coming in for water so as (i'm guessing) not to lose their position at the bales.  We have had at least 1-2 cases of impaction colic a year for this reason.. Now since it's so dry, the ground is blowing up into dunes and everything the horses are eating is covered with a film of dust or sand..Two round bales were put out this past Saturday and were completely gone by Wednesday.  There are approx 30 horses out there.. Even tho this is a full-care facility, the hay provided is homegrown and now that we will have no fall crop due to the drought, they have been forced to buy hay.. The owner says she will not buy any more hay this year.. Apparently it is written in the contract that athey will provide home-cut hay and are not obligated to buy outside hay.. There is not a blade of grass in our 90 acre pasture.  I'm buying mostly coastal and some alfalfa from the local feed stores at 10.00 and 17.00/bale respectively, in addition to oil and supplements.   I have no place to store multiple bales of hay, so cannot take advantage of buying it in volumes even of 15 - 20 bales, thus getting it cheaper.  I am looking to find hay cubes, being able to store those in the rear tack of my trailer..The couple of bales that I keep are stored in the front stall of my trailer, which leaves me to only be able to transport one horse if I have to.  I know of sand-clear and the other products which will run approx 40.00/mo in addition to everything else.. Anyone have any OTHER good ideas or tips?  I heard today that to add molasses to their feed would help..I worry about it being "hot".. It's supposed to hit 114 degrees heat index today. All of our horses are already getting corn oil and my two are getting DAC oil..  Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-23 11:48 AM (#108430 - in reply to #108429)
Subject: RE: Help! Sand / impaction colic!

Extreme Veteran

Wow, that's a crappy situation. Living in Florida, I have lived with the threat of sand colic forever. I read a really good aritcle written by Sandy Lieb of the U of Fl that actually showed that hay was the best way to clear sand. Psyllium is something that many people use to help prevent sand colic (which is the ingredient in Sand-Clear). You could add some generic form of psyllium from the drug store to their feed...it's cheaper but I don't know how it compares. I used to use it but haven't in years. I just feed plenty of hay. I can't see how molasses will do anything to move sand from the gut. I would try to find someone that you can share the load with, so to speak, in purchasing the hay in bulk. Someone who needs more bales than you or several of you from the barn could go in together to purchase hay. Then you could store just a few bales at a time and still get the better price. I wish you luck and hope your horses don't have any problems.
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-07-23 11:50 AM (#108431 - in reply to #108429)

Regular

I have used the generic form of Metamucil from Walmart. Terri from here also uses this for her post colic surgery horse. I think for that horse she feeds 1/2 to 1 lb per day, I don't have as much sand as she does and only I treat once a week. When I notice that a horse hasn't drank much I will fill a bucket with water and pour in some molasses 2-3 tbls, my horses think that is the biggest treat. We have had 105 temps all week but somewhat of a dry heat 24% humidity. Just a couple of days ago, sun was shining, one rain cloud just above and it was raining warm water. It just felt like it got hotter with that rain.

What about keeping hay at your home and taking a few bales out to the barn?
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-07-23 11:50 AM (#108432 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-07-23 11:51 AM (#108433 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

Oops...sorry about that blank post.

Use Psyllium !! Good luck!!
jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-07-23 1:49 PM (#108436 - in reply to #108429)

Extreme Veteran

Not sure why you would feed alfalfa hay to mature horses.  The extra cost of the alfalfa is probably not cost effective and could also cause kidney problems in an older horse. Being from the northeast, I'm not familiar with coastal grass hay. Is it the same as Bermuda grass?  I seem to remember a post years ago indicating impactions due to Bermuda grass, but can't remember the details.

If you could find a hay supply that's cheap enough, and you don't have room to store it at your home, perhaps you could look into renting a storage facility.  Cheaper price of the hay may make the extra cost of the storage unit or perhaps a POD a wash.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2009-07-23 1:53 PM (#108437 - in reply to #108429)

Extreme Veteran

Just found this on Equisearch.com:

Did the Hay Cause Colic?
Can feeding Bermuda hay be linked to colic in this EQUUS reader's horse?

QUESTION: We've purchased round bales of coastal Bermuda grass to feed to our horses. They have been previously fed fescue hay and are used to it. About six weeks into the Bermuda--fed free choice--one of our horses colicked. Our veterinarian said it was because the Bermuda was so leafy that the horses eat it without having the need to drink as much water. Also, in the cooler months, the need for water drops. Both of these factors, the veterinarian said, increase the likelihood of colic. He said that fescue's characteristic tougher texture usually results in the horses taking in more water than if they just had Bermuda. I am confused about all of this. I have scheduled my spring plantings based on Bermuda, but I'm wondering if I should abandon these plans.

ANSWER: These types of questions are difficult to answer, primarily because so many factors can predispose a horse to colic. Coastal Bermuda grass round bales are used successfully in horse feeding programs all over Texas and in other southern states. Therefore, to say with certainty that the grass caused the colic is difficult.

If, however, the hay in the round bale was of questionable quality, several factors may have contributed to colic. For example, if the hay contained mold there is some chance the horse ingested enough to cause digestive upset. Other problems can occur when grass is extremely mature at baling. There is some evidence that the long-term intake of extremely indigestible fiber fractions can lead to impaction colic. And, without a doubt, inadequate water intake can disrupt moisture balance in the gut to the extent that colic can result. But is difficult to ascertain if the horse did not drink enough water because of diet or because of the quality or lack of availability of the water itself.

So, in short, I know of no published evidence that would cause alarm in my mind about providing round bales of coastal Bermuda grass hay, provided it is of good quality. To discourage them from ingesting too much in too little time, I would caution to avoid introducing such hay when the horses are extremely hungry. And remember that it is critical to ensure that the horses have access to a good water source.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-23 5:35 PM (#108441 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

hi Jakey.. coastal hay is coastal bermuda.. I guess I was typing so fast that I left that out.. Coastal bermuda is a fine-bladed hay that has potential for impaction due to the tendency for it to pack tightly in the gut.. I'm feeding a handful of alfalfa per day per horse just for the extra calories and protein.. My TWH I got in Jan of this year was very very thin and I've been trying to put weight on her (thus the DAC oil). Usually we don't have a problem putting weight on at our place, but as I stated we've had less than 2 inches of rain this year and very little last year.. Our place is just toast.  Even tho we placed the round bales at the front of the pasture right near the water troughs, the horses are reluctant to leave them to go get a drink.. Plus the freakin' wind is blowing all the time and everything is covered with dust..

I am going to buy @ 20 bales and store it in our garage, since we don't park the cars in there anyway.. i am keeping my girls up in their stall during the day and letting them eat hay..They'll go out at night.. The wind is not so bad at night also..

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-07-23 9:59 PM (#108454 - in reply to #108436)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by jakey1 on 2009-07-23 1:49 PM

Not sure why you would feed alfalfa hay to mature horses.  The extra cost of the alfalfa is probably not cost effective and could also cause kidney problems in an older horse. Being from the northeast, I'm not familiar with coastal grass hay. Is it the same as Bermuda grass?  I seem to remember a post years ago indicating impactions due to Bermuda grass, but can't remember the details.

If you could find a hay supply that's cheap enough, and you don't have room to store it at your home, perhaps you could look into renting a storage facility.  Cheaper price of the hay may make the extra cost of the storage unit or perhaps a POD a wash.

We feed alfalfa almost exclusively here in this area. Alfalfa is so nutrient dense that other supplements are usually unecessary. I rode endurance horses for years and rarely fed anything but alfalfa. Ditto for the pleasure horses. My old gelding, who is inactive, gets half alfalfa and half wheat hay. He looks great and seems to feel terriffic.

Marla

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-24 7:29 AM (#108475 - in reply to #108429)

Expert

agree- I also feed primarily alfalfa ( one of the horses is 19) they are all healthy. Been using this for years.
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-07-24 9:44 AM (#108483 - in reply to #108436)

Regular

Feeding alfalfa is sometimes all you can get in an area and is a cost factor. Alfalfa is readily available in our area where as grass types have to be trucked in. As for cost it can be as high as $17.00 a bale for a 3 wire bale of grass hay and $10.00 for the same in alfalfa. Living in the southwest all my life, I have always fed alfalfa to the horses. I do occasionally feed some grass hay, but a hand full here and there.

You can ask 100 different people across the country and get 100 different opinions as to why or why not to feed alfalfa. I was going to board a horse for someone from Ohio and she sort of freaked out that we only fed alfalfa. I told her that I've not had any problems feeding it and her horse could too. We just had to make the changes slowly. Things that I dismiss as myth someone else will take it as God to honest truth, and vice versa.
ldief
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-07-24 5:12 PM (#108511 - in reply to #108429)

New User

Been through the sand colic thing, despite much preventative measures, including psyllium!
I read a study on sand colic that indicated the best way to remove sand from a horse's system is by feeding them about 2.5% of thier body weight per day in grass hay. This, the small study said, was even more effective than feeding the standard dose of psyllium in addition to the horse's regular feed. I can see how this might be a problem if your horses' hay is covered in dust. Maybe move them elsewhere for the summer?
Good luck!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-07-24 6:22 PM (#108512 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

If you choose to feed alfalfa, make sure to ask where it came from and what cutting it is. Mid- Western States such as Texas, OK, and Kansas have three stripped blister beetles and could be baled in the hay. This could be deadly if your horse ate the beetles or even crushed beetle juice on the hay can cause death. I hate the SOBs!!!

First cutting is safer than 2nd or 3rd, but will be stemmier. 4th cutting is hit and miss on safety.

Edited by ponytammy 2009-07-24 6:24 PM
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-07-24 10:28 PM (#108519 - in reply to #108429)

Regular

I use Metamucil twice a year on my horses. 1 cup of Metimucel to 1 qt of water per horse poured over their feed for that day. Now as far as the not drinking the water when we put our hay in the barn( Bermuda mix) we put salt on it. This takes out any moisture and makes them very thirsty! even during the winter. If I were in your position the hay I give them each day would be soak in water then a small amount of salt put on it to make them thirsty. As far as round bales being fed to them, are they molded? Usually when hay has been round baled they dont let it dry properly. My husband and I bale hay for several customers and whether we square bale or round bale it we make sure it has dried at least 2 days. Around here in OK most people cut the hay for round bales one day and bale it the next, not caring if it is going for cows or horses. When I ask one gentleman about this he said" what does it matter? cause if they are feeding horses round bales that have set out in the weather the inside of the bale is going to mold anyway". Please find out if you can was the round bales were dried properly for horses and has it been stored in a barn or at least out of the rain and or heavy dews? Many time sand colic is mistaken for grass colic because by the time the vet arrives it colon is so compacted its hard to tell the difference. Why not get with several other people there in the barn and have a trailer load delivered and divide it up accordingly? Here in Oklahoma we have more hay than we know what to do with! It is going for 3.00 per bale on the field. We didnt even cut 2 fields this year because their is nowhere to go with it. We dont ship hay but Im sure someone down closer to you has the same problem we do up here. Even having someone come to pick it up with a flat bed trailer would still be cheaper than what your paying. I hope you get lots of SLOW rain soon as we have be seeing the terrible drought you guys are having down there. I will pray for rain for you! Good Luck
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-07-25 6:29 AM (#108526 - in reply to #108429)

Extreme Veteran

I also live in a high sand colic area. I don't feed free choice hay period. They get what they need for hay in their paddock from squares I feed twice a day. Alfalfa makes it worse if feed on the ground, or where the leaves can hit the ground. Horses will pic the bits up and ingest the sand even more. I personally hate free choice round bales of bermuda. Horse will just eat themselves straight to a colic, especially if you have a big eater. I feed Sandblaster 3 days in a row when I notice an issue. Most of the time I notice lose poop piles like a cow patty. If you dig in the pile you will see sand all inside it. One horse I have will not do this without the sandblaster. Her poop piles just get smaller and smaller. That is when I give her a round of sandblaster. My pasture is a mix of coastal bermuda and bahia (however you spell it). The bahia really helps keep them on the water.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-07-26 8:38 PM (#108576 - in reply to #108429)

Extreme Veteran

Sand can be a really tough problem.  I solved mine by pouring a concrete pad 10 feet by 14 feet on which I placed my two-barrel feeder.  I put the hay in the in the open top of the feeder and the barrels catch the bulk of the leaves and fines.  The concrete keeps the horses from picking up sand as they vacuum the leaves and also keeps them from wearing mud holes around the trough.  I used plenty of wire in the concrete and rebar around the rim.  The concrete looks almost new after twenty years of hard use.   The fix was not as expensive back then as it would be today, but still cheaper than losing your best friend to sand colic.

Marla

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-07-27 7:04 PM (#108623 - in reply to #108429)

Expert

I had 3 horses colic last year because of a round bale and sand.  I almost lost my mare last year to impaction colic.  The suguron said it was a combination of sand and a dry round bale.   Now if something comes up my horses will just have to deal with some missed meal cramps till we get home, no more round bales for us.

I use the scoop that came in the sand free bucket and feed one scoop of the generic metamucil every morning, and if I see one getting loose I check for sand and if I find it I feed 1 lb a day until I don't see any more sand and then 1/2 a lb a day untill the stools are normal again.  No need to wet it, they love it dry. I just add it to their morning feed or they will eat it dry out of my hand. We were having HORRIBLE problems with sand until I started this (on the vets recomendation). 

Oh, and I've found that banamine doesn't work very well for sand colic pain(doesn't last very long) but the metamucil seems to really help.  The vet said it is because the psyllium coats the grains of sand so they aren't scratching/cutting the gut as they move.  I use 6 3lb containers a month for 5 horses, about $45 a month.

Edited by Terri 2009-07-27 7:07 PM
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2009-07-27 10:38 PM (#108640 - in reply to #108623)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Terri on 2009-07-27 11:04 PM

I had 3 horses colic last year because of a round bale and sand.  I almost lost my mare last year to impaction colic.  The suguron said it was a combination of sand and a dry round bale.   Now if something comes up my horses will just have to deal with some missed meal cramps till we get home, no more round bales for us.

I use the scoop that came in the sand free bucket and feed one scoop of the generic metamucil every morning, and if I see one getting loose I check for sand and if I find it I feed 1 lb a day until I don't see any more sand and then 1/2 a lb a day untill the stools are normal again.  No need to wet it, they love it dry. I just add it to their morning feed or they will eat it dry out of my hand. We were having HORRIBLE problems with sand until I started this (on the vets recomendation). 

Oh, and I've found that banamine doesn't work very well for sand colic pain(doesn't last very long) but the metamucil seems to really help.  The vet said it is because the psyllium coats the grains of sand so they aren't scratching/cutting the gut as they move.  I use 6 3lb containers a month for 5 horses, about $45 a month.

Yeap, this is basically what I do and it flat just works. Doing the poop patrol as I call it is necessary.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-28 9:08 AM (#108657 - in reply to #108429)

Expert

I just reading something about stemmy hay being more of a factor for impaction type colics than leafier hay. Stemmy hay is harder to digest and takes more water( for the gut) than lefty hay does. I'll have to try and find it again then I will post it for you.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-07-28 6:40 PM (#108695 - in reply to #108657)

Expert

I just reading something about stemmy hay being more of a factor for impaction type colics than leafier hay. Stemmy hay is harder to digest and takes more water( for the gut) than lefty hay does. I'll have to try and find it again then I will post it for you.

That is what the vets said was wrong with my hay.  It was to mature and stemmy and was dry.  The horses simply wern't drinking enough to keep from getting impacted.  Two of my 3 were able to pass the hay with LOTS of IV fluid but the third had lots of sand in her and that is what made her colic case so much worse.  And she was/is my baby.

The leafy hay can be a problem here as well because the horses sift through the sand to find all the leaves.

Edited by Terri 2009-07-28 6:45 PM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-07-28 6:43 PM (#108696 - in reply to #108640)

Expert

Originally written by Spooler on 2009-07-27 10:38 AM

Originally written by Terri on 2009-07-27 11:04 PM

Yeap, this is basically what I do and it flat just works. Doing the poop patrol as I call it is necessary.

My husband used to laugh at my "poop" obsession.  Now he askes if everything looks good.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-30 6:34 AM (#108754 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for the info every one.. I just got 30 bales of beautiful green coastal yesterday (are we crazy, ... doesn't EVERYONE think hay is beautiful?) and have stacked it in my garage out of the weather..Wish I could get more, but right now space is a premium.. May pick up some more in the next few weeks before this guy's supply runs out... Right now my girls are up during the day.. No competitiion for forage and plenty of time for a leisurely drink without worrying about having to fight your way back into position at the bale... I HATE round bales, but see the advantage to some people for the ease of feeding a large number of horses.  So far, so good.. I will pick up some metamucil at Walmart and feed ..what? a pound a day? until our poop is clear..
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-07-31 12:43 AM (#108778 - in reply to #108429)

Expert

If you ride your horse daily...stop the turn-out...since there is apparantly nothing for the horses to eat in the pastures...other than sand...

In FL, we control the consumption through management changes. These changes include feeding, both grain and hay, only out of feeders, feeding off the ground and using mats in the feeding area. These steps will all help to control the sand intake. When feeding outside in a dry lot or a sparsely vegetated pen or pasture, covering a large area with mats, will help control both the eating area and the surrounding area where the horse is likely to browse for every last morsel of hay.

These control measures helped us, yet in your situation in which it is either hard or impossible to control the consumption of sand including herd pasture management, dry-land pasture grazing, and various other housing arrangements, unless you are going to cut out turn-out for the foreseeable future...

For horses that do consume some quantity of sand, if complete control of sand intake is not possible, sand removal treatment with psyllium is a viable option. Historically there have been four problems with most psyllium treatments,

1.)not enough psyllium within the product administered,

2.) not enough product administered at each dosing,

3.) not a long enough or regular enough treatment period, and

4.) the lack of clearance due to altered colonic motility.

Good luck with your efforts...

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-31 9:10 AM (#108787 - in reply to #108429)

Elite Veteran

Thanks
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2009-08-01 6:07 PM (#108834 - in reply to #108429)

Expert

I have posted on this site the dangers of Bermuda hay before and got FLAMED big time.Vets here hate it.Certain times of the year its COLIC MONTH and its due to impaction on Bermuda hay.Bermuda round bails and heat of the summer OR in freezing cold rain of winteris/can be a very dangerous situation.As I posted before 30 plus years back I had a old man tell me 'If you can, stay away from Bermuda hays,it PLUGS THEM UP" The vet I use HATES it.He has put down many many horses plugged up.His wife is into Warm bloods like 60 plus.They buy enough winter rye grass hay in the spring to feed for the entire year and that does include round bails.I like a mixed grass hay and SOME Bermuda in it doesnt bother me.But that PURE Bermuda that LOOKS fantastic sends shivers through me.Round bails in GENERAL with horses even furthers the disaster.I posted such on this site a few years back and got flamed/slamed about this very subject.Some of the BIGGEST vet bills and most miserable hours spent with IVs and a moaning groaning horse beating its head on a stall floor has been over Bermuda hay.Certain growth stages its bad.Add some SAND, OMG! I'd rather feed flakes of it if I gotta use it and leave them hungery but even then it can 'plug them up'

Edited by hounddog 2009-08-01 6:10 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)