'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My baby is all growed up

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-17 2:52 AM
9 replies, 3998 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-15 12:33 PM (#108063)
Subject: My baby is all growed up

Well my baby has graudated to his own ride! Yesterday we bought a small pony for my 5 year old son and he absolutly loves her! We had her saddled and rode at least 3 times through out the day. And I figure even if he out grows her in a few years, Misty will help build his confidence in riding and indepence.

I'd post a photo is I knew how :( Any ideas?

Anway..... It's been awhile since I've had a pony so I do have a few questions.

1)food rations? (my farrier said 2 bets of hay in the am and pm, no grain or pasture cause she may founder) your opinions

2) best bit to use? using a split bit now (shes 5 yrs, old but still a little bullie at times)

3)her only bad vice...stopping to graze, how to break that? tips on that? may go hand in hand with the food rations? Jack (my son) doesn't have enough upper arm (yet) strength to keep her from going down to graze

Thanks and sorry for gushing! Just a proud momma here! 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-15 10:40 PM (#108092 - in reply to #108063)
Subject: RE: My baby is all growed up

Elite Veteran

My ponies live on dirt for the most part.  They each ( one is 12.2 hands and the other is 11.1 hands ) get 1/2 cup Purina Omolene & 2 flakes of hay twice per day. My old (34) pony gets a different ration.  I'll turn them out in the 3 acre lot (where there is lots of grass ) for several hours once or twice a week.  I put the other 4 horses/mule in there along with them, so the grass is not just for the ponies.  I DO NOT do this in the spring !  Only late summer after the grass is not so rich. 

Not knowing the size of your pony . . . my bigger pony can carry a 4 3/4 Kimberwicke bit.  The Shetland a 4 1/2 inch Snaffle.  I can email several websites where you can get small pony/mini tack.  The old man Shetland wore a 4" snaffle

There is an "anti grazing headset" you can get to help with the "munchies".  Sort of like a Chambon.  Basically keeps them from dropping their head to the ground.  Smart ponies, and they are smart, will manage to grab the tall grass or trees, or bushes or whatever they feel they need to put in their mouths even with this head set on.

Have fun . . . I love my ponies

shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-15 11:26 PM (#108093 - in reply to #108063)

Thanks for th advice. For the food, what your asying makes perfect sense so we're going to follow what the previous owner did and mybe add a little pasture time once in awhile. After spring, like you stated.

As far as the bit.... I'm still confused about what to use. I don't know a thing about them or the differences between them. Could you elaborate? She is a smaller pony, a bit smaller then a shetland and not as stocky. I'll take measurements tomorrow but another question.... is the measurement from the top of her back or the top of her head?

Grazing problem... I wil DEFINATLEY be getting an anti grazing headset. Again, no expirence here with ponies so would you mind taking a look at this website and tell me the difference in the products? With reins or without?... Don't know the difference.
http://www.justforponies.com/anitgrazingreins.aspx

Sorry for rambling, you've been very, very helpful!
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-07-16 10:02 AM (#108113 - in reply to #108063)

Extreme Veteran

Bits for ponies are harder to find.  I usually have most of mine made since my kids prefer to ride western.  Most pony companies seem to only carry the 4 1/2" and 4 3/4" bits in English styles.  Reinsman does make a few bits in smaller sizes, but you have to go to the main website to view them.  Ponies have lots of personality; sometimes too much.  I second the anti-grazing device until you son gets strong enough to make the pony listen.  Good luck.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-16 6:24 PM (#108139 - in reply to #108063)

Elite Veteran

From what I can tell, the Centaur device is adjusted by a conway buckle and holes, and the other one uses "D" rings on the "reins" sort of like a German Martingale.  I like that the Centaur connects to the bridle with velcro.  That should make it easier.

As far as the bits are concerned . . . I've bought several bits from Just for Ponies, and they are a good company to do business with.  If she's a little smaller than a Shetland, I would probably think that a 4" or 3 3/4" would do.

When you measure, measure from the ground to the withers.  That's the bone at the base of the mane. 

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-16 6:25 PM (#108140 - in reply to #108063)

Elite Veteran

Oh and another important component.  PLEASE have your child wear a helmet !
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-07-16 9:34 PM (#108148 - in reply to #108063)

Elite Veteran

Now I'm rambling on . . . they call those things "anti grazing reins" when in fact they are not reins at all.  Your reins will still attach to the bit as normal
shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-16 10:51 PM (#108150 - in reply to #108063)

Thanks for all your help. I ordered a set of the Centura Anti Grazing device today. I think they should work well. I'm sure the pony will take a little getting used to them so I will put it all together without having a rider on her at first because it's not uncommon for her to "rare up" a little when irritated.
I haven't had a chance to measure her yet but will do so soon and post her size.
Do you know how to post pictures on here? I'd like to show off our little beauty!
shelly1367
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2009-07-16 10:59 PM (#108152 - in reply to #108063)

I think if you click on the link below it will take you to a photo
href="http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv289/shelly1367/100_24241.jpg">http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv289/shelly1367/100_24241.jpg" border="0" alt="Jack & "Misty"">

Edited by shelly1367 2009-07-16 11:12 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-17 2:52 AM (#108156 - in reply to #108063)

Elite Veteran

I agree with the other postings here.. a 3 3/4" to 4" snaffle bit should do just fine.. There's no need for a stronger bit since I'm assuming that you will either pony your child on his new pony until they both get used to each other, or ride right beside him anyway.. Especially until your son gets a little more comfortable.. Little hands can be tough on pony mouths..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)