'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
TRUCK BRAKE PAD QUESTION

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-22 9:29 AM
6 replies, 4179 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-19 11:10 AM (#106673)
Subject: TRUCK BRAKE PAD QUESTION

Expert

I recently converted my automobiles to ceramic disc brake pads. They've been used for a while on high performance cars, and have been especially expensive. Now that the prices are economically viable for the average person, and their applications are more wide spread, I thought it would be a good time to try them.

Has anyone tried them on a towing vehicle yet? I would be interested to see what the owners think of them.

Thank you.    Gard

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-06-19 11:27 AM (#106675 - in reply to #106673)
Subject: RE: TRUCK BRAKE PAD QUESTION

Expert

I have not had the opportunity to try them just yet.... Couple more trips across Black Mountain and out to Murfreesboro and my 3500 too will be ready for a set.... Givem' a try and give us report on them!!!

I got a tractor with a dry, ceramic clutch, you can slip it, get it hot and it will still hook up good. It will wear on the flywheel and pressure plate alot more than the fiber/asbestoes style clutches.

Edited by retento 2009-06-19 11:29 AM
CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-19 2:01 PM (#106688 - in reply to #106673)

Gard,

I have a 2002 2500HD that came with Ceramics and I have not had a problem, the main thing is you get less dust. If you are looking for a brake for extreme stopping look at power stop pads and rotors. They are meant to run cooler, last longer, resist warping, improve stopping power, and run quiet for tow vehciles and cop cars. The rotors are crossed drilled and the pads are a ceramic mix.  The best thing I like about the ceramics that came with my truck is no dust but if my truck had not come with them I would have switched to the power stop system. I would for a manufacturer of suspension parts that owns a distributorship that happens to carry different brakes. When I did my brakes this spring I started reading thru all the brakes avaialble and if my trailer was a load LQ I would of gone to power stops.

CurlyRidingcowboy
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-19 2:10 PM (#106689 - in reply to #106673)

http://www.powerstop.com/

Theres power stops website, there are many others who make similar products. This is just one that I am familiar with. But at Car, Truck, and aftermarket shows I see all sorts of performance brake manufacturers.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-06-21 5:40 PM (#106754 - in reply to #106673)

Elite Veteran

I just replaced the pads on my F250SD. I got the ceramic pads and have done one trip to the  mountains. So far I like them. They are suppose be less dust and don't heat up like regular pads. I got mine online from Hawk Performance Brakes.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-06-22 12:54 AM (#106780 - in reply to #106673)

Expert

Brembo make excellent aftermarket Brake Systems...http://www.brembo.com/US/
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-06-22 9:29 AM (#106802 - in reply to #106673)

Expert

I appreciate the comments you all have posted. I may have given the wrong impression. I'm not dissatisfied with my SD brakes, in fact I'm actually pleased. While using this truck as a towing vehicle, I've never had a braking situation where I felt like I was going to run out of brakes. This, in spite of PA drivers being genetically predisposed, to pulling out in front of moving vehicles, when there is no safe time left to do so.

The only braking problem I've had with the truck, was a complete loss of the front brakes. This occurred when one of my flex lines was completely sheared off, after a front tire blew up. The situation was not the result, of a fault of the truck.

The reason I switched my automotive pads and rotors, was the poor quality of the OEM GM rotors which were shot in both cars at ~50 K miles. I had never used ceramic pads, and thought it a good time, to see if there is any improvement over the stock pads. I installed good quality aftermarket rotors on both cars, and will wait to see if there are any noticeable benefits with the new combination.

I'm familiar with the ceramic brakes used on some foreign cars, but they also incorporate graphite and ceramic discs, along with the ceramic pads. The pads are not acting against steel rotors. These systems are giving excellent long term everyday driving, and when used in performance situations, better and quicker heat distribution, with higher clamping pressures.

The cross drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors, certainly offer a greater performance over a solid disc, and any vehicle would benefit with their inclusion. If I lived in CO and had to travel those passes, I would seriously consider their purchase. My part of the country has hills and is anything but flat. But, as I said, my present 4 wheel discs are capable enough.

My pads will need replacing soon, the original discs are like new and will not even need to be turned. I do not use metallic pads, so the ceramics seemed like a viable option. I always look for better products and upgrades; I like to improve what I have.

So far I like the "feel" of the new brakes in the cars, but the type of usage between them and a towing vehicle is night and day. That's the reason for my original posting. Thank you all for your input.

Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)