'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
story of a bra and running martingale

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-08-02 9:48 PM
21 replies, 6507 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2009-06-15 1:43 PM (#106482)
Subject: story of a bra and running martingale

Extreme Veteran

Yesterday my husband and I were riding in the woods.   We'd stopped at a stream to let the horses drink.  I was on the bank, on my dressage horse Merlin,  waiting for his mare to finish.    Suddenly Merlin started freaking out and running backwards, thru trees/rocks/bushes.  he was pure panicked and wouldn't stop.  his head was pinned to his chest.  ????  he finally stopped long enought for me to jump off- I discoverred the strap that holds the running martengale was somehow across his lower jaw.  the strap was too tight to release the buckle, he had a wild look in his eye and I couldn't cut it since my knife was on the other side of the saddle, which was pinned against a tree.   I finally bent his head a bit more and managed to undo the snap.    apparently the strap slid down his neck and I didn't realize it until it was too late.  He immediately calmed down and stood quietly.  thank goodness!

this whole incident took about 2 min. but of course it seemed like forever- all I could think of was if he went the other direction we would fall down a steep drop off on the other side of the trail.  

after makeing sure Merlin was OK  I realized my bra strap had broken. how in the world that happened I have no idea.  but riding (or even walking) for me w/ no bra would have been a true emergency.   LOL.   luckily  there was an old dog leash in my saddle bag so Mark managed to tie my bra together with that.  meanwhile several people passed us on the trail.. no telling what they thought we were up to- we're each holding a horse and he has his hands thru the armpit of my shirt- doing something underneath there.  luckily it held together for us to finish our ride and drive home! 

from now on I'm always going to carry dental floss and those little snap tie things in my saddle bag.   even tho we were only out for a couple hrs. something stupid like that would have ruined our ride.   I"m also going to attach something to the strap that holds the martingle so it stays in place. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-06-15 4:15 PM (#106496 - in reply to #106482)
Subject: RE: story of a bra and running martingale

Extreme Veteran

Laughed out loud!! Sounds like some of the situations I get myself into sometimes.

Marla
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-06-15 9:37 PM (#106509 - in reply to #106482)

Expert

Acy, I once had a similar emergency.  While doing the trail demonstration at a clinic my old, mellow App gelding decides to jump the ground pole like it's an oxer.  The saddle horn caught under the little piece between the cups in the front, when he landed and I sat up it snapped.  I found out that you really can ride with your elbows in!  I quickly rode right out of the arena and found my mother and we safety pinned my bra back together.  Only later did I start riding English and jumping on purpose.

NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-06-15 10:13 PM (#106510 - in reply to #106509)

Regular

Didn't have the horses but, we were out gathering firewood in a remote part of the mountians.  Something pinched my upper lip, looked down and yellow jackets covered my shirt.  I start screaming and jumping up/down, pull my shirt off, at that exact same time hunters drove by on ATV's.  Boy did they get a show, topless and all.  I really didn't care over all got stung 4 times, don't know how the yellow jackets got into my bra but they did.  Good thing I wasn't allergic but oh the welts they made.  To top it off earlier that day fell down a small ravine gave myself a black eye.  On the way home stopped at the store to pick up Benadryl. Got some strange looks, black eye, fat lip, welts.  Looks like I lost a few rounds.  And here Hollywood pays thousands of dollars for that fat lip look, I got it for free and it lasted 3 days.

But a home cure for stings, a new copper penny on the stings will help decrease the swelling but when you take the penny off the swelling comes back.  Used it until I got the Benadryl.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-06-16 7:59 AM (#106522 - in reply to #106510)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by NM-Rider on 2009-06-15 10:13 PM

.....But a home cure for stings, a new copper penny on the stings will help decrease the swelling but when you take the penny off the swelling comes back.  Used it until I got the Benadryl.

Tobacco also works great to decrease the swelling.  I got stung on the lip by a yellow jacket and we had a few smokers in our group.  One of them gave me a cigarette and I peeled the paper back and took the tobacco and mixed it with a little water to moisten it and help hold it together.  I stuck it on my lip and it really drew out the swelling.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-06-16 12:36 PM (#106533 - in reply to #106482)

Elite Veteran

I've heard meat tenderizer also draws the poison and reduces the swelling..  My husband's uncle says coca cola or root beer or any acidic liquid poured over stings of any kind will help to reduce the swelling and to cool the fire.

BTW, I've also had my bra snapped when the front of it got hooked over my horn.. I don't even like WALKING braless, much less riding..It sure cut my ride short that day..

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-06-17 9:03 PM (#106593 - in reply to #106510)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by NM-Rider on 2009-06-15 10:13 PM

Didn't have the horses but, we were out gathering firewood in a remote part of the mountians.  Something pinched my upper lip, looked down and yellow jackets covered my shirt.  I start screaming and jumping up/down, pull my shirt off, at that exact same time hunters drove by on ATV's.  Boy did they get a show, topless and all.  I really didn't care over all got stung 4 times, don't know how the yellow jackets got into my bra but they did.  Good thing I wasn't allergic but oh the welts they made.  To top it off earlier that day fell down a small ravine gave myself a black eye.  On the way home stopped at the store to pick up Benadryl. Got some strange looks, black eye, fat lip, welts.  Looks like I lost a few rounds.  And here Hollywood pays thousands of dollars for that fat lip look, I got it for free and it lasted 3 days.

But a home cure for stings, a new copper penny on the stings will help decrease the swelling but when you take the penny off the swelling comes back.  Used it until I got the Benadryl.

I worked for Sandia National Labs as a construction apprentice in the early 80's. One job I did required tack welding on a rocket launcher. While dressed in jeans, coveralls, boots, and welding jacket I walked over a red ant mound. These ants were HUGE! They started biting and I started shucking clothes. My journeyman got quite a view! The ant bites left bumps the size of goose eggs that burned and itched like nothing else I have ever experienced. I was sick for two days over that little mistake.

Marla
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-06-18 12:32 AM (#106607 - in reply to #106482)

Expert

I am sorry but that is tooo funny 
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-18 7:26 AM (#106610 - in reply to #106482)

Veteran

Well, I don't have any good bra stories, I don't have much of anything to keep contained, unfortunately.  But here's a good underwear story.....I got a new roughout billy cook saddle, and I was so excited to try it for a little ride.  We wound up getting LOST, and were out for about 5 hours.  It turns out that the roughout was too rough, and the seat was too large for me, and I wound up with half dollar sized blisters on my bum. The next day I switched to my old saddle, but my butt hurt so bad, and I wasn't sure what to do about the huge, now fluid filled blisters on my hind end.  I wound up sticking two maxi pads to my tush for some cushion! It worked!

Amanda

Rockin_horse72
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-06-30 8:55 PM (#107374 - in reply to #106482)

Veteran

All these bra stories remined me of my days as an outrider at a standardbred track. My good gelding was all fired up that day and we had our first loose horse. As I cued him to speed up to stay in line with the loose horse, he reared up and took off instead of just accelerating like I asked, when he did I was caught off guard and my bra hooked over the saddle horn and broke. Of course I still had to catch the loose horse and I was in a tank top w/ a flannel shirt over it, un-buttoned. As I leaned over to catch the horse... you guessed it!! I gave the entire racing world a show!! I was on camera for a simulcast too!! That has been about 7 years ago and I still have people come up to me and and laugh about it. After that I learnt to always wear a sports bra and carry a spare!! 
Myaj
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-07-02 7:09 PM (#107471 - in reply to #106482)

Stories like these are a big part of why I don't ride in a saddle with a horn anymore. That and the time I actually landed on the horn.. ow.I got a wasp stuck in my sports bra once at a campground, he was hiding in the tack room of the trailer and attacked as soon as I opened the door. Since i couldn't get it out of my shirt, and it kept stinging and stinging, I ended up running screaming through the campground ripping my shirt off.. and the dang thing was still in my bra. Got it out eventually but not before my back was covered in welts.
Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-07-04 4:36 PM (#107520 - in reply to #106482)

Extreme Veteran

You ladies all know, don't you, that the bra was invented by a masochist frenchman who HATED women.

Marla
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-07-05 5:50 PM (#107560 - in reply to #106593)

Expert

My daughter did the "fire ant thing" in kindergarten.  Jumped off the swings right into the mound and stood there screaming.  She wouldn't wear clothes for a week after that.
mmry1257
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2009-07-06 5:27 PM (#107624 - in reply to #106482)

Regular

This reminds me of a day about 2 yrs ago! One of the most embarassing moments in my life ( not the first one haha). Anyway on a Monday morning I was headed to work after spending time with my horses on the w/e I had put a bucket of sweet feed in my truck cab thinking I would remember to take it out the nite before, which I didnt. I was running late and thought oh well I will take the stuff out when I get home tonite I headed off to work. I had been driving about 15 minutes when I felt something sting or bite me on the boob and I thought hummm. Well it happened again while I was in heavy traffic and I panicked! I turned down a seldom used side street and looked both ways and jerked my blouse off, then my bra! Ants were all over me! So here I am with nothing on and dancing around trying to get them off when a police cruiser with 2 officers in it drive up. Thank goodness by this time I have large welts all over me cause they come out of that car like I was some kind of nut! I explain that something is biting and they both agree but suggest I put my cloths on( they are both trying very hard not to laugh or leer, not sure which!) At 5'2" , 120 lbs and being well endowed I wasnt sure which it was. Anyway I shake my blouse and bra out and look in the truck and sure enough the sweet feed setting behind the drivers seat is full of ants. They calmly take the bucket out and empty it, brush my seat out, spray the inside with wasp spray( which they explained is part of their standard equipment) and tell me I might want to go see a doctor with all those bites. I thank them for their help, get dressed and drive assuring my self I will never see them again. But 3 days later I got stopped in the same spot for speeding by the same officers! I pull over and they ask me was I getting bit again? I told them nope I was just late getting to work. They let me go with just a warning not to speed again. I have never went that route again! And I always place any left over feed in the back or take it out completely.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-09 8:41 AM (#107723 - in reply to #107624)

Extreme Veteran

This all reminds me of the time I was riding with my cousin. I asked her if she wanted to trot and she said 'yes' so off we went. I don't remember the whole circumstance but I remember looking back and there she is happily trotting along with her arm up under her breasts for support. She had somehow caught her bra on the horn at some point and it wasn't doing its job. What a funny sight that was. We had a great laugh over it.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-09 9:58 PM (#107766 - in reply to #106482)

Elite Veteran

I STILL ride with my free arm supporting my chest.. I am (unfortunately) chesty and  NO bra is strough enough to give firm support at speed..
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-07-10 10:47 AM (#107798 - in reply to #107766)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by ridingarocky on 2009-07-09 9:58 PM

I STILL ride with my free arm supporting my chest.. I am (unfortunately) chesty and  NO bra is strough enough to give firm support at speed..

You may want to check this out.  http://www.ladiesonlysports.com/enwhenyouare.html

On Oprah's personal "O List" of a few things she thinks are just great, Oprah says, "Once you get yourself hooked into this thing, believe me they're not going anywhere

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-07-17 9:40 AM (#108169 - in reply to #106482)

Expert

this is getting better every time i read it sorry it is a guy thing 
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-17 10:29 AM (#108173 - in reply to #107766)

Extreme Veteran

ridingarocky, I do not suffer from being on the small side either...I can fairly comfortably sit the trot using the Champion Powerback Sports Bra (I like the one without wires). It is also made of a material that is wicking so it dries faster. Before they came out with that one, I liked the Champion Action Shape Bra. I sill like it but it has more cotton and doesn't dry as fast so I wear them when it's cooler. You also don't have to put that one on over your head at all. I introduced this one to a friend who got into riding dressage big time and she hugged me several times for the introduction, =) I also told her to make sure it is snug, snug, snug. Sometimes I buy a size slightly smaller and that really helps. (not so small that it cuts off circulation though) They also happen to be on sale right now on the champion web site. I have tried many bras and these are the ones that worked best for me anyhow. Happy (bounce free) Riding!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-07-19 9:40 AM (#108235 - in reply to #106482)

Elite Veteran

Thanks! I'll look it up.. I bought one from a horse supply website.. maybe Dover? I don't remember.. It was a front-hooker and just mashed my boobs flat to my chest and then the whole mess bounced.. Was NOT comfortable!!
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-19 8:47 PM (#108248 - in reply to #108235)

Extreme Veteran

Been there, done that too....That's the nice thing about these Champion bras....they encapsulate and sqish. LOL. Good luck!
evallone
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-08-02 9:48 PM (#108887 - in reply to #107766)

Veteran

Try the Ultimate No Bounce Bra by Title Nine Sports.  You could swing from a bridge by this thing no problem.  I would suggest you try one size up from what they recommend (for comfort sake).  I can also say (and I don't work for them) ~ YOU WON'T BOUNCE!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)