'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fly sheets 101....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-07-09 11:26 AM
22 replies, 7032 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-06-11 8:58 PM (#106326)
Subject: Fly sheets 101....

Regular

Getting ready to take a lil week long camping/trailriding vacation. I know the place we are going is really bad for flies. I am thinking (especially in the evenings when the ginormous black ones are out with their knives & forks) it might be a good idea to pack along some fly sheets for the horses' comfort. I had a little browse around a couple of the usual websites and I realize I am ill prepared to make an informed decision, and I really only have a few days to order so they can be here in time. I'm looking for the cliff notes version of someone else's experiences. Any to avoid? Any good deals? Any that are too expensive except that they will last through my mares' grand-foals? I'm all ears.Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BMC Bermuda grass
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-11 9:59 PM (#106331 - in reply to #106326)
Subject: RE: Fly sheets 101....

Don't know the name brand, but have used the little round cardboard ones that you pull out the strip that is about 1 1/2" wide. These have a thumbtack with them and hang with the round cardboard canister as a weight.  They seem to work really well, but will fill up in a couple of days, but are pretty cheap. 
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-06-12 8:20 AM (#106346 - in reply to #106326)

Regular

No, I don't mean fly strips.  I'm talking about fly sheets (scrim sheets).  Horses wear them like a blanket to help keep away the biting flies.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-06-12 8:39 AM (#106348 - in reply to #106326)

Expert

Mary, I've never had one that worked.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-06-12 11:18 AM (#106362 - in reply to #106326)

Expert

I use Rambo with fly spray on top , it helps with the number of flies that bit them
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-06-12 1:18 PM (#106370 - in reply to #106326)

Elite Veteran

I've used dover's brand fly sheets and another one (I've forgotten) all they did was make my gelding incredibly hot in our hot Texas summers and he soon learned quick how to get them off..i got tired of walking the pasture looking for lost sheets or masks..I finally gave up and used a citronella fly spray as he would have an allergic reaction to all other sprays or spot-ons.. For a big burly boy, he was a sensitive little ninny!
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-13 7:02 AM (#106394 - in reply to #106326)

Veteran

The best fly sheet I ever had was a no-name brand mesh, almost like window screen.  NOT like jersey fabric which was very hot for my horses. Lots of the fly sheets are almost like gym suit jersey material, which my horses hated.   The plastic one did rip easily though.  Any fly sheet will rip easily, it's full of holes!  I used it on a black mare and she stayed black and it reduced the amount of tail swishing.  I liked the closed front, it was less buckles to mess with when I pulled it off.  Fewer stress points too.

For the legs, The Shoo-fly leggins that are mesh stockings really help reduce the stomping without the need for fly spray.  They DO NOT fit draft horses....otherwise I'd have a pair for my girl.  Average legged horses really like them once they get used to wearing them. 

Hope this helps, just look for plasticky fly mesh sheets, not clothy ones.  IMHO.

Amanda

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-13 11:20 AM (#106401 - in reply to #106326)

Extreme Veteran

Big D makes an excellent fly sheet. I had a horse that was allergic to certain bites that I used it on and I also used the hood on him. They hold up very well and fit well. The only thing that would make them better would be a belly cover. I also have a sheet made by Weathabeeta and it is good as well. I wouldn't turn out in it but it kept some of the bugs off of my horse and when the others at the ride were swishing tails, mine wasn't. You can get the neck cover for it or purchase an elongated neck one. The other brand to look into which I haven't tried is Cashel products. They make great stuff. I have used their Bug Armour to ride in and it works pretty good. I think the sheets work fine for the application you wish to use them for.

Have fun!

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-06-13 9:26 PM (#106407 - in reply to #106326)

I get the cheapest ones from vtosaddlery.com and have had good experience with them. These do not make the horses hot..... we have used the propane fogger...and it worked really well until it wore out!  Also I like the pyranha aerosol fly spray;  it seems to work better than other stuff.

Edited by rose 2009-06-13 9:28 PM
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-14 1:39 PM (#106431 - in reply to #106326)

KENSINGTON FLY SHEETS, HANDS DOWN. ALMOST INDESTRUCTIBLE. BUY FROM SMARTPAK.
Dee S.
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-06-22 12:09 PM (#106811 - in reply to #106326)

Kensington makes fly sheets for State Line Tack.....they have the State Line Tack Label...so therefore are a little cheaper. I have been far happier with the Kensington (State Line) textilene sheets than anything else I have tried. (and I have tried just about every type out there). Make sure that they are the textilene material or you will not be happy. My horses in particular do not like the neck covers...so I have given up on that....they manage to scrape on anthing they can find until they rip them off. Don't think horses were meant to wear clothes...but I feel so bad for them when it is hot and they are being tormented..so I keep trying. The textilene breathes well and really helps with sun bleaching. Very durable & really takes a beating. My mare has had the same fly sheet for 7 summers....but she appreciates hers and takes good care of it. Good luck.
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-28 10:25 PM (#107210 - in reply to #106811)

That is good info abt State Line "kensingtons" and I was just going to buy a hood to go with it. My little QH mare has rubbed her mane halfway out. She has serious allergies and is going through the shot treatment now, but is still itchy bc the doses of the immune suppressant are very low and build over months. Thanks,deb(do you have any used to sell-if so, dweber2000@aol.com or pm me).
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-06-30 12:18 AM (#107322 - in reply to #106326)

Elite Veteran

Kensington is the way to go! Don't forget about the mosquitoes too!
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-30 9:39 AM (#107335 - in reply to #106811)

Veteran

Originally written by Dee S. on 2009-06-22 12:09 PM

Kensington makes fly sheets for State Line Tack.....they have the State Line Tack Label...so therefore are a little cheaper. I have been far happier with the Kensington (State Line) textilene sheets than anything else I have tried. (and I have tried just about every type out there). Make sure that they are the textilene material or you will not be happy. My horses in particular do not like the neck covers...so I have given up on that....they manage to scrape on anthing they can find until they rip them off. Don't think horses were meant to wear clothes...but I feel so bad for them when it is hot and they are being tormented..so I keep trying. The textilene breathes well and really helps with sun bleaching. Very durable & really takes a beating. My mare has had the same fly sheet for 7 summers....but she appreciates hers and takes good care of it. Good luck.

After reading about this sheet I went to the State Line Tack website and found them on sale for $29.99. At that time they had every color, every size etc...listed so it seemed they had a plentiful supply. I ordered 2 in different sizes to give them a try. I ordered them on Monday and received them on Thursday. I decided that I liked them enough to order 3 more for my other horses, especially at that price. Well, went back on to the website to order and they only had one color and one size listed. WHAT???? I called them yesterday and told them about the situation and they said that they had sold out, except for that one color and size. That is hard for to me believe. I am not sure that they had all the colors and sizes in the first place. I am thankful for the 2 that I got for such a deal. Was told that they would not have them anymore. I was very disappointed that I didn't order all that I needed, when I placed  my first order, but wanted to make sure I liked the way they fit, etc...Oh well. I asked them why they were discontinuing them?? and was told that they were going with a different manufacturer, so maybe they will have them, but they will not be the Kensington sheet.

Dee S.
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2009-06-30 12:22 PM (#107348 - in reply to #106326)

stablemom: Also sorry to hear that. I got mine last October at the Quarter Horse Congress. State Line tack had a clearance tent and the
Kensington fly sheets with the State Line Label were TWO for $29.99.
They had all the sizes and most of the colors. Buyer's regret...should have bought more...but I was afraid maybe they were a strange cut and wouldn't fit my walkers. Turned out to be the original cut and fit great.
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-30 12:34 PM (#107349 - in reply to #106326)

I so hate that I had to pay so much. If only I hAD gotten busy and ordered another 2. Still might call them. Glad you guys did so good with the Kensingtons. Remember, I need a hood if anyone does not want theirs. I will be happy to purchase it from you. Thanks, deb
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-30 1:09 PM (#107350 - in reply to #107348)

Veteran

Originally written by Dee S. on 2009-06-30 12:22 PM

stablemom: Also sorry to hear that. I got mine last October at the Quarter Horse Congress. State Line tack had a clearance tent and the Kensington fly sheets with the State Line Label were TWO for $29.99. They had all the sizes and most of the colors. Buyer's regret...should have bought more...but I was afraid maybe they were a strange cut and wouldn't fit my walkers. Turned out to be the original cut and fit great.

Wow, you really got a good deal!!!

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-06-30 1:12 PM (#107351 - in reply to #107210)

Veteran

Originally written by dweber2000 on 2009-06-28 10:25 PM

That is good info abt State Line "kensingtons" and I was just going to buy a hood to go with it. My little QH mare has rubbed her mane halfway out. She has serious allergies and is going through the shot treatment now, but is still itchy bc the doses of the immune suppressant are very low and build over months. Thanks,deb(do you have any used to sell-if so, dweber2000@aol.com or pm me).

Does your horse have sweet itch? Is she allergic to the biting midges??

dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-06-30 9:35 PM (#107380 - in reply to #107351)

Yes midges and 22 other things-just had a big allergy blood test done up at Southern Pines. Going through the 2 shots every other day desensitizing now. Should take about 3-6 months to begin seeing effect. She wears her Kensington sheet but still is rubbing tail and mane. Cannot do dex when doing allergy shots, so she rubs but it is def getting better. I love her and am committed to seeing this treatment through. Doc says we will prob get it cured and then go to one shot a month by Jan. deb
dweber2000
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-07-01 11:15 AM (#107418 - in reply to #107335)

Originally written by stablemom on 2009-06-30 9:39 AM

After reading about this sheet I went to the State Line Tack website and found them on sale for $29.99. At that time they had every color, every size etc...listed so it seemed they had a plentiful supply. I ordered 2 in different sizes to give them a try. I ordered them on Monday and received them on Thursday. I decided that I liked them enough to order 3 more for my other horses, especially at that price. Well, went back on to the website to order and they only had one color and one size listed. WHAT???? I called them yesterday and told them about the situation and they said that they had sold out, except for that one color and size. That is hard for to me believe. I am not sure that they had all the colors and sizes in the first place. I am thankful for the 2 that I got for such a deal. Was told that they would not have them anymore. I was very disappointed that I didn't order all that I needed, when I placed  my first order, but wanted to make sure I liked the way they fit, etc...Oh well. I asked them why they were discontinuing them?? and was told that they were going with a different manufacturer, so maybe they will have them, but they will not be the Kensington sheet.

Note: I called State Line last night and they DO have all sizes left in the Kensington (SLT) sheets, even though the internet site said all they have is 78". FYI (I ordered 3). Hope the lady wasn't smokin'...:)
stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-01 11:25 AM (#107421 - in reply to #106326)

Veteran

Are you kidding me???

It was a guy that helped me.

Going to call them right now!!

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-01 11:50 AM (#107423 - in reply to #106326)

Veteran

YEA!!!!

I got 3 more ordered. Thanks for letting me know that they still had them. Now all my horses will have one. Guess that guy didn't know what he was talking about.

I have a horse that is allergic to the midges and we have been dealing with the sweet itch for the past several summers. I didn't go the route of having the blood panel done ($$$$$), but he now wears a sweet itch rug (deMulenkamp) that has helped tremendously. It is quite expensive, but has been worth it. He also has to stay in at night, so he avoids the dusk and dawn attack! He rubs a little every now and then, but his mane and tail are intact and he doesn't have the open sores from rubbing himself raw. I did, just last night roach his mane because it just made him a little hotter under the rug. I just trail ride on him so it is no big deal. Glad to hear that the shots seem to be helping yours !! Thanks again for letting me know about the fly sheets!

stablemom
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-07-09 11:26 AM (#107734 - in reply to #106811)

Veteran

Dee, did you have any problems with them rubbing your horses on the shoulders?? A couple of mine have hair loss from the rubbing on the chest/shoulder area, and then a couple of them it hasn't rubbed at all. Of course, they are different shapes, one as high withers, etc.... Little frustrated at myself, seems I didn't order one big enough for one of my horses and now I am stuck with an extra one, oh well got a good price...:) Just wondered if anyone else had the rubbing problem. They are plenty big enough, but just the way they are cut and sit way back at the withers causes some rubbing on some of mine.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)