'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Confused about aluminum skinned trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-15 7:53 PM
5 replies, 3644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Paintgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-11 2:04 PM (#106311)
Subject: Confused about aluminum skinned trailers

Ok, so I've been looking and looking for a slant load replacement for my '86 Miley straight load trailer and am so confused about the many different brands, models and materials that my head is spinning!

I've looked at many different brands, the good, the bad and the downright dangerous!

I'm in the 5K-10K price range and the most my "hard-earned" money can buy keeps coming up with the aluminum skin over steel framed trailer.  After reading numerous threads on this wonderful forum, I'm extremely leary of these hybrid trailers and am wondering if I'm just being paranoid.

I'd really like a trailer that's going to last me a long time, (like my Miley) and don't want to be looking again in 5 years...I know that there are processes, materials, etc. that are designed to prevent the electrolysis of these hybrids but have they really been around long enough to determine the long-term life span of these trailers?

I've also come across a lot of the slant load trailers just don't have the stall length that I need for my long-backed, hunter type paint horse...so a standard stall just won't work...which brings me back to the aluminum skinned trailers.

I live in the Northwest (lots of rain) so I'm limited on the brands of trailers that are being sold here as well as the size of these trailers...I've found some nice Logans in my price range but the newer ones are the aluminum skinned.

Any advise would be appreciated before I go crazy trying to find a new trailer...who would have thought getting a new trailer would be so confusing...guess that's why I've hung on to the ole Miley for so long...ha ha

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ace_014
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-06-11 2:19 PM (#106313 - in reply to #106311)
Subject: RE: Confused about aluminum skinned trailers

Regular

I had a ponderosa trailer all steel that was old when I got it it worked fine for 5 years I sold it for what I payed for it. I then got a colt trailer also all steel and kept it for 5 years then traded for a sundowner 727 steel with aluminum skin it is a stock combo i had a living quarters installed professionally I have had the trailer since 2005 it's never been parked in a shelter and I cant find rust anywhere I love mine.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-11 7:08 PM (#106322 - in reply to #106311)

Expert

I've got a 2006 Logan XTR ( Aluminum Skin over Steel) and it's holding up well.   

The XT and XTR trailers have pretty good stall sizes.  But I don't think you are going to find those trailers in the $5k to $10K price range.

good luck.

Paintgirl
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-06-11 11:33 PM (#106339 - in reply to #106322)

Yeah the XTR's are a little out of my price range but they make the Maverick and Edge that are more in the ball park...just not as pretty and not as many bells and whistles...I just need a trailer that is functional and will age well.

I'm glad yours is holding up, they do make nice trailers.

Thanks.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-06-12 1:10 PM (#106369 - in reply to #106311)

Elite Veteran

I have a 2 horse CM straightload that I bought new in '02.. While I have had trouble with the "skin" on the doors, the remainder of the trailer has held up fine.. We crawled underneath it last year and drill-sanded the axles and supports that we could reach and repainted them..   Only surface rust noted, nothing that would compromise the integrity of the trailer..My floor is in great shape.. My doors, as I said, are prone to corroding out and I have replaced one already and now am about to replace all doors before putting trailer up for sale..CM graciously replaced the material for free even tho my trailer is WAY out of warranty.. I do have to pay for labor, tho, which will not be cheap..However, my trailer will nearly be as new when it is done and will last for many more years. I recently bought a newer all-aluminum trailer with more storage than my CM offers, so will be selling it. We live on the coast which is hard on steel, and my boarding facility has no place to park a trailer under cover..  The all steel trailers at our barn look rather worse for wear..
openrangetrailers
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-06-15 7:53 PM (#106503 - in reply to #106311)

we have bounced the thought around about starting a aluminum sknned trailer but havent jumped into that yet. we try to stop the rusting by undercoating all the bottom of our trailers to keep a barrier between the grime on the road and we double prime all our trailers and use a cataliyst additive to harden our paint. i like the look of the aluminum maybe in the future we might venture down that road but for now our steel is going great......
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)