'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Help diagnosing a lameness

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-14 10:28 PM
7 replies, 3797 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-05-12 10:06 PM (#104818)
Subject: Help diagnosing a lameness

Regular

I have a 3 yr old quarter horse mare that was started under saddle this spring. She spent about 45 days at the trainers with no reports of any problems. She's been home for about a month now. I rode or worked her almost daily for the first probably 2 weeks (until monsoon season started here in Missouri ). Last week when I finally had time and dry ground, I saddled her for some light round penning and maybe a few minutes riding (I do admit my pen was probably firm to hard ground). She seemed hesitant to step out & short strided - looked like she was walking on her tippy toes in front; I didn't notice a problem behind. Ended that session pretty quickly. I gave her about a week off - we kept an eye on her; while she wasn't 3 legged lame, she did act tender footed. My pen was dry today, so we worked it pretty deep and got lovely, fluffy footing. Same deal: brought her out for a few minutes round penning. She was bold and seemed comfortable. Nice long trot and then into an easy canter, both directions, throwing in the rebelious buck here & there. Then we did a few minutes of ground work - backing, turns, side passes, etc. Snugged up the cinch & stepped on. She was definitely hurting: didn't want to step out, short strided, bobbing her head and reluctant to accelerate her pace when she has always been very forward. She whoa'd and was happy to stand still (this is NOT her m.o.). Stepped off again after only about 2-3 minutes. Had to pull on the lead rope for the walk back to the barn. Stood stock still until she was untacked and groomed, then refused to follow off-lead, even when enticed with her favorite treat. Once outside the barn, she just stood there, not even stepping off the concrete to go and graze with her buds (of course, she did, eventually, but still gingerly). I am sorry for the novella, but all important background, IMO. She has been barefoot this whole time. I gave her a bute tablet this evening, and will again probably for the next day or 2 at least. This is my thinking: the ground here has been so wet, with heavy rains almost daily. Is it likely that her feet are so soft that they are just that tender? There is zero heat or swelling @ feet, legs, etc. Any other thoughts? I would really appreciate some input.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
delta2
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2009-05-12 11:43 PM (#104823 - in reply to #104818)
Subject: RE: Help diagnosing a lameness

JustMary,
I would try a few things, first if you have hoof testers, I would check both fronts to see if there is any sensitive give or sensitive spots on the sole, if yes, that would be a starting point of your possible problems.
From your description you say she was ok during ground work but the lameness started after riding, could it be an ill fitting saddle/blanket, or cinched too tight? Some horses react differently to this issue. I am somewhat puzzled by your description of walking on her toes, this appears to be a supporative lameness. The last thought is a condition called springing sole syndrome, so call be cause it involved horses subjected to wet conditions in that the sole of the foot due to excessive moisture, temporarly looses the ability to displace concussion of the foot due to an oversoft sole and will cause a sore foot on hard ground or under work.
If nothing else shows up, I would put front shoes on the mare and keep feet as dry as possible until the weather clears up. Even if my 2 yr olds are barefoot I always put front shoes on when starting to work them.
Good luck and hope this helps.
lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-05-13 9:44 PM (#104877 - in reply to #104818)

Veteran

Is it possible she has thrush?  That can cause heel pain, in which case she would would be walking on tiipy toes.
JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-05-13 10:15 PM (#104878 - in reply to #104818)

Regular

Nope, thrush isn't the problem - her feet are in great shape.  Excellent maintenance history, clean, well defined foot structures with no signs of either bruising or "icky stuff". 

After bute last night and this morning, she excercised sound tonight (an abbreviated session of ground work only).  She was full of herself (as she ought to be) and didn't show me that she had any discomfort whatsoever.  Of course it is supposed to rain again tonight and tomorrow, so we'll see what she does then.

Seems I vaguely remember something you could apply to toughen soles....is it iodine?  I wonder if a topical to toughen the sole would be of any help?

I do appreciate the input, it is definitely helpful.

Edited by JustMary 2009-05-13 10:21 PM
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-05-14 7:52 AM (#104894 - in reply to #104818)

Expert

Mineral spirits will help toughen the sole of a hoof.

My first thought would be her tendons, but I'm sure you've checked those already.

Hopefully, you didn't send her for training with Cleve Wells!  LOL!

JustMary
Reg. May 2008
Posted 2009-05-14 8:10 AM (#104897 - in reply to #104818)

Regular

LMAO!  No, didn't/wouldn't/couldn't Cleve Wells.  Isn't it a shame how love of money can harden a heart?  I would assume he got into training for love of the horse, and look what has happened to that. 

Now that you mention mineral spirits, I think I also remember that turpentine can be used.  As far as a question about tendons - would I see an intermittent lameness?  I would think she'd be lame most all of the time with that. 

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2009-05-14 8:13 AM (#104898 - in reply to #104818)

Elite Veteran

I use venice turpentine on mine to toughen up thier soles....If she is that sore I wouldn't be doing any training until she is sound without bute, The bute is a cover up, you don't want her to have more damage. Especailly if your not sure what is causing the lameness. Even people here are having hoof issues because of all the wetness. I have been lucky no issues other than thier to dang fat
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-05-14 10:28 PM (#104944 - in reply to #104897)

Expert

In my past I have seen intermittent lameness with tendons, especially if they are standing in a stall all day.

Turpentine, is better than mineral spirits but use what you got.  I've even mixed pine tar and turpentine together with a squirt of thrush medication (the green icky stuff) for good measure.

I have also seen intermittent lameness with all kinds of hoof rot/abscess/bad nails etc.

You might also read the thread on Lyme's disease, her horse was on/off lame due to the infection. But seeing as yours just came back from the trainers, I'd go for a leg/hoof injury as my best bet.

Side note:  Have you checked for a splint?  How are those hocks?  A set of films or a fluoroscope might give you some great insight into this dilemma.

Edited by huntseat 2009-05-14 10:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)