'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Parking a horse for mounting

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-05 7:55 AM
4 replies, 4496 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-05-04 3:28 PM (#104436)
Subject: Parking a horse for mounting

Extreme Veteran

There is a discussion on another horse forum I visit regarding parking horses.  One person brought up the idea that it is not good to mount your horse while s/he is parked.  What is everyone's take on that?  Being a short person who usually rides a tall horse I appreciate a horse that parks out for mounting but I certainly don't want to be putting any undo stress on my horse.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-05-04 7:42 PM (#104450 - in reply to #104436)
Subject: RE: Parking a horse for mounting

Elite Veteran

Parking out a horse for mounted or anything else is really bad for the horse's back. Why not use a mounting block or natural mounting block on the trail for that. Or learn to properly mount a horse so that it's easier on you and your horse.

Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-05-04 7:46 PM (#104451 - in reply to #104436)

Veteran

I've heard people say it's bad too. But as far as anything we do to our horses while riding, I really don't think it's going to do much harm.  I'd imagine that people say it's hard on their back, tendons, and ligaments....but so is cutting, reining, dressage, jumping....and on and on it goes. Learning to properly mount a horse is important.  Even a well broke horse can get sour to mounting if someone does it rudely every time whether the horse is parked or not.  My friend's horse knows to stand by tailgates or picnic tables.  That works well for all involved.

Amanda

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-04 10:25 PM (#104463 - in reply to #104436)

Expert

I once met a lady who was crippled. She mounted her horse by having it lay down, where she climbed on and asked the horse to get up. They had a long and happy relationship. I'm sure it was different for her horse to get up with an extra 120lbs vs getting up with me on it's back. He weight didn't seem to cause any long term problems

When I was doing CTR I taught my horses to move over next to objects so I could stand on the object and mount. It was fairly simple to teach and the horses learned it very quickly. Ken McNab demonstrats it on one of his RFD-TV programs.  I stand by the fence and depending which arm I raise, I kiss and the horse will rotate either right left 90* to become parallel with the fence. I stand on a fence rail and mount. But it works just as well with a fender of the trailer, a rock, a log and ditch  etc.

JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-05-05 7:55 AM (#104472 - in reply to #104450)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by IcePonyGoddess on 2009-05-04 7:42 PM

Parking out a horse for mounted or anything else is really bad for the horse's back. Why not use a mounting block or natural mounting block on the trail for that. Or learn to properly mount a horse so that it's easier on you and your horse.

Thanks for your input, however, I'm not sure why you would take from my question that I do not properly mount a horse.  My horse is very well behaved and stands still for mounting.  While I said I appreciate a horse that parks for mounting, let me be clear, I do not park my horse for mounting. When I ride my husbands much taller horse there are several things I do to make mounting easier; putting the horse in a downhill position in relation to myself, use a picnic table bench or a downed tree on the trail.

Perhaps my question was not stated clearly.  My question is: how does parking a horse to mount impact the horse?

Edited by JacciB 2009-05-05 3:36 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)