'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Have you ever heard of a stray horse?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-21 9:00 AM
9 replies, 4303 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lea Anne
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2009-05-03 10:06 PM (#104405)
Subject: Have you ever heard of a stray horse?

Veteran

I've had stray dogs on my place, but I've never had a stray horse! My daughter says that is happening! I can't believe it. But the horse appeared 3 days ago, with no tracks leading up to our place....."she" just showed up 3 days ago. Today she showed up again and she wanted in with our horses. She is in heat. My husband caught her and put her in with our horse. I'm going to post pictures at the local Casey's store and hope that we can find her owner. My daughter seems to think that folks are doing that...just dropping off horses like we used to see dogs being dropped off.....since the cost of maintaining is so expensive.
I just bought a horse and I don't need an extra one!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-03 10:26 PM (#104407 - in reply to #104405)
Subject: RE: Have you ever heard of a stray horse?

Veteran

Hi -

Sadly I can say yes I have seen this out west, here in Nevada, due to the large wild horse and burro population.

People get a cute horsey, and then find out what time, work, effort and of course money it takes to have a horse or 12 in some of these people's cases.

So they see the mustangs and think well if I just drop old Seabiscuit off in the dessert, he will live happily ever after in the wild. A horse knows where food and water are and of course he will just join up with the rest of them.

Ok now we here all know where a domestic horse gets its food and water, from the feed trailer and the waterer, those are hard to find in the desert so they here a truck or see a house and go to it thinking maybe they will feed and water me.

People that ditch their horses are scumbags, sad it would be more humane to shoot him than dump him.

Tr0y

Edited by tr0y 2009-05-04 1:38 PM
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2009-05-04 9:31 AM (#104417 - in reply to #104405)

Regular

The owner of my barn has a friend who has a horse rescue and she arrived one morning to find someone had "dropped off" a strange horse in her pasture.  My barn owner says that is her worst nightmare, to arrive and someone has left a horse.  We all thought the locked gates were to keep our horses in!  She, also, recently heard a story of a couple ladies who trailered their horses out to trail ride and left their trailer parked.  When they got back, someone had put 2 horses in their trailer!
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-05-04 12:48 PM (#104423 - in reply to #104405)

Elite Veteran

Yup, there was 3 horses running loose where I live two years ago. Sherrif finally came and got them. Believe or not, the owner came looking for them 4 weeks later. Talk about neglect!
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-05-04 1:26 PM (#104427 - in reply to #104405)

Expert

The story about abandoned horses was on one of the big networks this last Saturday or Sunday.  Yes, it's really happening, but horse people knew it would only be a matter of time before this happened.  Think back to wild Emu's over the last 10 years when the bottom dropped out of that market.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-05-04 3:31 PM (#104437 - in reply to #104405)

Expert

Happens quite a bit.

We had some neighobours in Tx who wouldn't keep their gates closed and their animals would wander along the side of the road grazing.

When I was in highschool my grandpa had 12 emaciated horses put into his hay field and the old mare that my daughter now rides was left laying on the side of the road to die. 

Killrail
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2009-05-12 10:52 AM (#104774 - in reply to #104405)

Veteran

Years ago (when I was a teenager), I woke up one morning (went to feed my horse)and found an Emu in my pasture. Went down the road where I had seen an Emu in someone else's pasture, they said it just showed up one day and it wasn't their's. Called the animal control but they said that "since I didn't live in the city limits, there was nothing they could do"...I ran it out of my pasture, since it was freaking out my horse. The next day heard on the police scanner that they had to shut down the interstate and get animal control out there because there was an Emu running around.

Just this past summer I had a STALLION running up and down my fence lines. Luckily my pasture is behind my house and is bordering the neighbors pastures as well. And my front yard is fenced and we ALWAYS shut the driveway gate. Otherwise, he would have been able to get to my pasture in the back and do no telling how much damage (to the fence, to my miniature mare and stallion and my Haflinger gelding).

We called the police (since I now live on a state highway -with lots of traffic). They came out with a trailer and hauled him off.

Later, I heard that it was a elderly lady that lived in California (who had a place down here and had gotten sick) that could not afford to care for her horses here...so she had someone that lived down here 'get rid' of her 4 horses. I am not for certain if she wanted it done this way but since I live next the National Forest, that's where they ended up.

Also, my cousin found a miniature horse while deer hunting out here as well. Never found the owner.

I am sure that this is just the beginning.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-12 11:00 AM (#104776 - in reply to #104405)

Elite Veteran

And people are still breeding.....
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2009-05-15 10:31 AM (#104970 - in reply to #104405)

Elite Veteran

back in the '60's when I was a kid growing up in a small town (Vero Beach, FL) we kept our horse in a pasture behind the house.  I can't tell you how many times we had horses and ponies just wander up during the night.  You had to call the radio station and they would announce it and the owners would finally show up a few days later. Course my horse got loose a few times and wandered over to the neighbors as well. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2009-05-21 9:00 AM (#105281 - in reply to #104405)

Expert

a horse getting loose is one thing, but a abandon horse is a other thing, these that abandon are the cruelties of all .the domestic horse can not fend for it self 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)